[SOLVED] 5800x high temps or bad cooler?

tyr0n3

Commendable
May 2, 2018
I have a 5800x paired with a nh-u9s and im getting really high temps. Idle im getting 43C, under the easiest task about 70C and using cinebench 90C. Im too scared to even try and play a game. So im wondering do i have a bad cooler or is this unusual. If it is that i have a bad cooler can someone recommend one i need a 155mm CPU clearance and i have VENGEANCE LPX RAM that is 33.53mm tall.

Solution
I have a 5800x paired with a nh-u9s and im getting really high temps. Idle im getting 43C, under the easiest task about 70C and using cinebench 90C. Im too scared to even try and play a game. So im wondering do i have a bad cooler or is this unusual. If it is that i have a bad cooler can someone recommend one i need a 155mm CPU clearance and i have VENGEANCE LPX RAM that is 33.53mm tall.
I've read that due to all 8 cores being on the same CCX in Zen 3 the 5800x is actually now the hottest processor, so high temperature (up to 105C even) is normal and not unexpected.

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/5800x-cinebench-r23-temperature/m-p/435047#M36405

"In an interview with Robert Hallock of AMD. He was asked about...
what´s your room temperature?

BIOS of your motherboard is up to date? Which motherboard and BIOS version is it.

Is your CPU or system overclocked?

Check the correct seating/installation of the CPU cooler, be sure that the correct mounting frame is used for your socket and the thermal paste is not too much or too less applied.

tyr0n3

Commendable
May 2, 2018

BIOS of your motherboard is up to date? Which motherboard and BIOS version is it.

Check the correct seating/installation of the CPU cooler, be sure that the correct mounting frame is used for your socket and the thermal paste is not too much or too less applied.

Well my rooms freezing, i have the x570 aorus elite the bios is up to date to version F31 because i had to update it before using it, i reseated the CPU twice and nothing is overclocked.

tyr0n3

Commendable
May 2, 2018

Ive just realised could it be the way the cooler is facing? Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I've read that due to all 8 cores being on the same CCX in Zen 3 the 5800x is actually now the hottest processor, so high temperature (up to 105C even) is normal and not unexpected.

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/5800x-cinebench-r23-temperature/m-p/435047#M36405

"In an interview with Robert Hallock of AMD. He was asked about temps and states that, due to the precision boost algorithm, Zen 3 chips are designed to go up to 90-95 degrees and this isn't too high of a temp, it's within range."

Last edited:
Solution
I'd move to a quality 240-280 AIO cooler...if you feel you need to stay on an air cooler then the NH-D15 SE-AM4 is hard to beat when setup with dual fans. And of course make sure your case cooling is good...the best cooler on the planet wont work very well in a system with little to no airflow.

Reactions: CountMike
90 mm cooler on 5800X? :oops: Poor thing. Even if it is designed to withstand lousy owners, it does not deserve such torture.
Definitely get better cooler ASAP. Something with at least 150TDP support or even better one (something with 200 TDP support is OK) or adequate AIO.

Reactions: CountMike

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
have a 5800x paired with a nh-u9s

While this is a quality cooler, it is not the right product for your beast of a processor. 5800x will be much better served with a Noctua NH-U14S or better yet a 360mm AIO. NH-U9s is designed for small cases and processors way tamer than 5800x. Just to give you an idea, I had this cooler on my i7 5775c (4 core, 8 thread CPU) inside of an ITX case before upgrading to 92mm AIO. Do not operate your PC until you have your cooler replaced.