Question 5800x3D now or wait for 7000 series 3D models?

WillJackman

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
Title pretty much. Looking to upgrade as my 9700k is bottlenecking my new GPU and have heard the 3D cache helps a lot for gaming so looking at either 5800x3D now or wait for others to launch (probably 7800x3D). Do you think they will be good value at launch or will they be overpriced and/or not available at MSRP?

Also afaik the new ones won't have ddr4 support but some 5800x3D boards do so it would save me some on new RAM.

If the 7000X3d chips prove as good as they promise I'm doubtful they'll be available at launch except at a price premium above MSRP. And when you factor in the entire cost of an AM5 motherboard/DDR5 memory then I'd consider it a very poor value.

Almost certainly cynical, but IMO neither cost nor value seem to matter much when looking for the highest FPS possible. Nvidia and Intel have known that for quite some time, AMD is learning. At any rate, you only wade into this end of the market if you have deep pockets and aren't uncomfortable knowing it will all evaporate in 6 months when the next wave of new tech is released. In such a situation concepts of "value" can be very fluid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

logainofhades

Titan
Title pretty much. Looking to upgrade as my 9700k is bottlenecking my new GPU and have heard the 3D cache helps a lot for gaming so looking at either 5800x3D now or wait for others to launch (probably 7800x3D). Do you think they will be good value at launch or will they be overpriced and/or not available at MSRP?

Also afaik the new ones won't have ddr4 support but some 5800x3D boards do so it would save me some on new RAM.

All boards that work with the 5800x3d are ddr4.
All boards in that support 7000 series chips are DDR5.

The 7900x3d and 7950x3d are coming out Tuesday. Look at reviews of those first.

Where do you live? If in the US do you live near a Micro Center store?

Budget?

What monitor are you using?

and have heard the 3D cache helps a lot for gaming

If you heard that then watch reviews and see if it is really true, a simple search on youtube "5800x3D" and the game you want to see performance would be sufficient to get plenty of results. Lets talk about 3D cache now, yes and no, new intel generation prooved that even with small cache can surpass 5800x3d in gaming benchmarks. My advice is to check the new i7 and i5 from intel and see how well it can do in your favorit games. As for 7000 series with 3D cache, i think it will be overpriced by a huge margin.

WillJackman

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
FYI, we gota stop saying DDR5 is expensive these days. Yeah that was true last year, but DDR5 prices have dropped considerably, and are very similar to high-performance DDR4 kits nowadays.

Ya you can get DDR4 at rediculously cheap prices, but DDR5 is still perfectly viable at its current price.
It's not that DDR5 is expensive, it's that DDR4 is free in my case cause I take it from my current build. If I was buying an entirely new build it wouldn't be a concern really.

Budget isn't too much of an issue but I do want to be getting solid value and not overpaying...
You will almost certainly be overpaying if buying one of the 7000X3d chips, that's the nature of buying pinnacle performance at launch. It may be more difficult to say the same of AM5 motherboards and DDR5 you but the only reason you need to pay their high price is because 7000X3d requires it and you don't need them if going with the 5800X3d.

Of course, that assume 7000X3d performs as we're being led to expect. AMD's been pretty good up to now but it's still much better to wait until the reviewers have had their opportunity to tear down the expectations AMD's marketing team built.

Last edited:

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Figure $100 more for the motherboard, $120 for the ram, $250 more for the CPU.

Not sure what else you'll need, double check the pricing differences. Figure $500 to go from a dead end platform to sometime you can upgrade again in a few years. If you're ok with that go AM5, a 20-25% for $500 isn't great but you'll be setup for the future.

Regardless I'd wait as long as you can, things keep getting cheaper.

How good do you need to be?
Any processor $200 and up is going to be a big boost over your 9700K.
Your 9700K has 8 processing threads and a passmark rating of 14561. Thar is when all threads are fully loaded. Not that common in gaming.
The single thread rating is 2909. The single thread rating is the more important spec for gaming.

The $310 5800X3D has 16 threads and a rating of 27553/3120.
I suspect the single thread rating is low , but that is what users are reporting.

Run cpu-z bench on your 9700K.
You should get a single thread performance rating of about 566.

I think the processor you should go after is the $267 I5-13500.
20 threads, passmark 32474/3957.

On cpu-Z it scores 764:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/qre2e7

You can reuse your current DDR4 ram.
Unlike Intel, Ryzen depends on fast ram for performance.

Most any lga1700 motherboard will work.
I would look for B660/B760 or X690/X790 DDR4 based motherboards.
Avoid the really cheap units.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
The 5800x3d does not really rely on fast ram as much as Intel or a regular AMD. The massive 3d cache makes up for a lot of it.

Regardless, going AM4 or 13th gen Intel is buying into a dead end platform. AM5 should be supported for as long as intels next gen motherboards.

Take a look at the 1440p gaming average and note the frame rates;

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

In your area go with whatever is the cheaper either Intel or AMD. As we can see in Tom's testing the average framerate you can get in many games may 144 FPS (your monitor is 144Hz?) using an RTX 4090. Look how little difference there is among the cpu's.

There is no wrong or "bad" choice.

The only offering that has a future upgrade path is the AMD AM5 platform.

What gpu do you have?

WillJackman

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
Take a look at the 1440p gaming average and note the frame rates;

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

In your area go with whatever is the cheaper either Intel or AMD. As we can see in Tom's testing the average framerate you can get in many games may 144 FPS (your monitor is 144Hz?) using an RTX 4090. Look how little difference there is among the cpu's.

There is no wrong or "bad" choice.

The only offering that has a future upgrade path is the AMD AM5 platform.

What gpu do you have?
Yeah upgradability is important I guess. I'm rocking a 7900xtx which is why I want something fairly beefy to pair with it.