Question 5800x3d with 4070Super at 1080p res

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
As topic, will this GPU be too heavy for my CPU that my CPU will bottleneck at 1080p gaming?
I also wonder if capping fps and increasing graphics will help with CPU bottleneck?

I have a b550-plus motherboard, 1000 wat PSU. 3600mhz 32gb 16cl ram
//

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Completely depends on a game. GPU bound games are held back by GPU and reducing in-game graphics will increase FPS. But CPU bound games (e.g Civilization, Cities:Skylines) are limited by CPU and reducing in-game graphics doesn't do nothing in terms of FPS.

Still, with RTX 4070 Super, you can expect ~140 FPS on 1080p Ultra;

zudKJdErBw9XmPENn5RUKk-970-80.png.webp

Plenty of FPS. But if you enable Ray Tracing then ~90 FPS, which is also good enough;

3BSSG5UMXDUMCMBeqxLUtk-970-80.png.webp

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...-for-the-same-dollar599-as-the-vanilla-4070/3

So, as long as you'll get above 60 FPS, nothing to worry (heck, i can even manage 40 FPS).

1000 wat PSU
Make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Reactions: shadowcat777

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
Completely depends on a game. GPU bound games are held back by GPU and reducing in-game graphics will increase FPS. But CPU bound games (e.g Civilization, Cities:Skylines) are limited by CPU and reducing in-game graphics doesn't do nothing in terms of FPS.

Still, with RTX 4070 Super, you can expect ~140 FPS on 1080p Ultra;

zudKJdErBw9XmPENn5RUKk-970-80.png.webp

Plenty of FPS. But if you enable Ray Tracing then ~90 FPS, which is also good enough;

3BSSG5UMXDUMCMBeqxLUtk-970-80.png.webp

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...-for-the-same-dollar599-as-the-vanilla-4070/3

So, as long as you'll get above 60 FPS, nothing to worry (heck, i can even manage 40 FPS).

Make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?
thank you for the reply. I do not understand why the PSU matters tho. it is a decent one, and bought new maybe half a year ago or so.
60 FPS feels laggy for me tho xd
I prefer at least 80-90 fps in a demanding game...

I do not understand why the PSU matters tho. it is a decent one, and bought new maybe half a year ago or so.

He didn't say you have a bad PSU. Just confirming the exact model number, brand and age of your current power supply unit, since this is important for any troubleshooting part to get all the detailed PC specs, to rule out any hardware issue.

And Power supply unit is the most important PC component, so it does matter.

You only mentioned the Wattage number, so that's why we want to know the full details, because Wattage number alone means nothing when it comes to any PSU. The make and the "quality" matters. But of course, you already must be having a good quality PSU, but we don't know the model number yet.

So he just wanted to confirm this. Also remember, just as an example, a 600 Watts high quality PSU from a reputed brand/OEM will be more efficient and reliable than a cheap branded and "falsely" advertised 1000 Watt PSU. :)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I do not understand why the PSU matters tho.
But why FPS matters though? :unsure: 40 FPS is still playable, 60 FPS even more so. Anything above that is irrelevant surplus.

As said by Metal Messiah. above, since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. And just for conformation, knowing the make and model can tell, if you'd be looking towards new PSU as well, or not.

But of course, you already must be having a good quality PSU
:non: Don't assume.

Time and time again, people who only give out wattage rating, often have sub-par or low quality PSU in use. Since when PSU is poor one, no-one is willing to share what it actually is. Hence why i asked about the PSU in the first place. And based by OP's reply, they have "decent", which usually means cheap, low quality unit.

E.g i have 0 issues sharing the PSUs i have in my builds;
* Skylake build - Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium) [SSR-650TD], which was the best 650W PSU money could buy back in 2016, and which still is one of the best (if not the best) PSU out there. 12 years warranty among other things.
* Haswell build - Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 (80+ Titanium) [SSR-650TR], small update revision of SSR-650TD, while still being top-of-the-line build quality, among other things. Also 12 years warranty, the longest any PSU has at current date.
* Old AMD build - Seasonic Focus+ 550 (80+ Platinum) [SSR-550PX], notch down from PRIME series, while still widely considered as good quality PSU. 10 years warranty with this one.

On top of that, conformation of my words in my signature, where everyone can see that i have the listed PSUs inside my PCs (plenty of pics from all of my PCs there).
Can even link reputable reviews of the PSUs i have, to prove their build quality (but i doubt there is interest in those).

So, yeah, never cheap out on PSU. And never buy used PSU either.