Eric Matos

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
I am using a 6 pin to 8 pin converter to power my GTX 1080 (It has a single 8 pin connection on it) and my PSU doesn't have any 8 pin slots (Rocketfish 550w PSU). The GPU works fine, but one of my colleagues suggested that the converter might be causing the GPU to be underpowered. I'm not sure if it's that's the case so I thought I would ask here for opinions.

Solution
Yeah it's the next thing on my list to upgrade. However, I still have my original question. Say I have a decent PSU, would using a 6 pin to 8 pin cable cause it to be underpowered in any way?

Also, thanks for the response :)

Yes it can , and it can bring down the performance. Don't use adapters. If you have to use adapters , the PSU shouldn't be running a card.

Eric Matos

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
You need a new PSU to properly power the card. That PSU is very very poor quality.
You need a new PSU to properly power the card. That PSU is very very poor quality.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.96 @ Newegg)
Total: $38.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-02 11:44 EDT-0400

Yeah it's the next thing on my list to upgrade. However, I still have my original question. Say I have a decent PSU, would using a 6 pin to 8 pin cable cause it to be underpowered in any way?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
GTX 1080
Rocketfish 550w PSU

Ouch.

The fundamental problem isn't so much that your GPU is underpowered. Generally speaking, an underpowered GPU simply won't work, not simply get fewer frames per second (though there are some edge cases).

The problem is much different and much worse. You're powering a modern GPU that costs $500 with a power supply I wouldn't pay $500 in money from the game of Monopoly for. Having a quality power supply is the most important part of a PC build and you're powering your expensive component with a junk-tier PSU. The manufacturer of these cheapo store-brand power supplies, Huntkey, is notorious for throwing in the cheapest, dodgiest Chinese components they can find.

I wouldn't even use the GPU with this PSU installed. This isn't a replacement to get around to when you have a chance, this is like a flashing oil light on your car's dashboard. Pull over to the side and call a tow truck.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Yes it can , and it can bring down the performance. Don't use adapters. If you have to use adapters , the PSU shouldn't be running a card.

Solution

Eric Matos

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Ouch.

The fundamental problem isn't so much that your GPU is underpowered. Generally speaking, an underpowered GPU simply won't work, not simply get fewer frames per second (though there are some edge cases).

The problem is much different and much worse. You're powering a modern GPU that costs $500 with a power supply I wouldn't pay $500 in money from the game of Monopoly for. Having a quality power supply is the most important part of a PC build and you're powering your expensive component with a junk-tier PSU. The manufacturer of these cheapo store-brand power supplies, Huntkey, is notorious for throwing in the cheapest, dodgiest Chinese components they can find.

I wouldn't even use the GPU with this PSU installed. This isn't a replacement to get around to when you have a chance, this is like a flashing oil light on your car's dashboard. Pull over to the side and call a tow truck.

Yeah it's one of those things where I really needed a PSU and didn't have money (The rest of the computer was gifted to me) I am literally buying a new PSU today, I just wanted to ask this question as I was curious if an adapter could hinder performance. Thanks for the reply!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah it's one of those things where I really needed a PSU and didn't have money (The rest of the computer was gifted to me) I am literally buying a new PSU today, I just wanted to ask this question as I was curious if an adapter could hinder performance. Thanks for the reply!

Good choice! We want you to get years of loyal service out of that GTX 1080, which will still be an excellent performer for a long time.