[SOLVED] 620w psu for 3700x and gtx 1070 build

e4r33d

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Hello everyone , today my motheboard died , so i took it as a note to build a new pc with a few parts i have left working just fine .

I was thinking to build a pc with a 3700x , ASUS x570-e , 16 gb 3600 mhz ram , Corsair H100i RGB Platinum .

Im going to use my old gpu , a GTX 1070 g1 gaming , and old PSU , Seasonic 620w evo bronze ....

Is 620w enough ? I bought the PSU on 7th december 2017. So its not that old

Last edited:
Solution
Yes thats the one , sooo if lets say i build my pc in december with the parts above , should i try and squeeze for a psu upgrade or can i keep it for a few more months ? If not i can get a lower quality mobo or ram to squeeze a 750w psu ... Even doe i would like to use this one for a few more months and get straight away good components
You don't need more wattage, you need more quality.
The 1070 can run on a 500W PSU easily, let alone a 750W! :)

I suspect you could use it for a few more months, but you'll want to upgrade when you can.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
just because its a seasonic doesnt mean crap.
there are good and bad units, no matter the brand or its efficiency rating.

if it worked so far, it should still work fine, and even running it with a 1080 would be no problem.
and you should still have it covered by warranty if something goes wrong.

partially the reason i try to stick with the better units (most of the time gold/platin rated)
that come with a 7/10/12y warranty, as its not common for brands to do that on low quality stuff.
and if it dies by the that time, its usually a good idea to get it replaced anyway.

a lot of times the fluctuations on thee power grid are more likely to kill it (over time),
than a normal load, i would invest in a UPS that has AVR, so the psu gets a steady 120V.
as long as you shutdown the pc "right away" if the power is out, any unit will do,
but if you plan on running it on battery (for more than closing progs and save files and shutdown),
make sure it has pure/tru/real sine wave out, as the simulated sine out will kill the psu within a few years.

example:
https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/cp850pfclcd/

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If this is the Seasonic you are referring to:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2

Then it is dated, and one of Seasonics worst units.
Don't get me wrong, I love Seasonic. But they make bad units too.

Their EVO and S12II Series are dated now, and for your rig will be fine, but it may be worth upgrading to a newer better quality one soon. The EVO line only hold a 3 year warranty, so it's approaching the end of its life, let alone if it was sitting on shelf for ages beforehand.

e4r33d

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
If this is the Seasonic you are referring to:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2

Then it is dated, and one of Seasonics worst units.
Don't get me wrong, I love Seasonic. But they make bad units too.

Their EVO and S12II Series are dated now, and for your rig will be fine, but it may be worth upgrading to a newer better quality one soon. The EVO line only hold a 3 year warranty, so it's approaching the end of its life, let alone if it was sitting on shelf for ages beforehand.

Yes thats the one , sooo if lets say i build my pc in december with the parts above , should i try and squeeze for a psu upgrade or can i keep it for a few more months ? If not i can get a lower quality mobo or ram to squeeze a 750w psu ... Even doe i would like to use this one for a few more months and get straight away good components

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

I suspect you could use it for a few more months, but you'll want to upgrade when you can.

Reactions: e4r33d
Solution

e4r33d

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

Aight , just to be sure about it im going to delay the build a bit and also get a new PSU , EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 should do the job just right .

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Aight , just to be sure about it im going to delay the build a bit and also get a new PSU , EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 should do the job just right .
P2 is good, but again for the record, you probably won't need that level of power!
1070 can usually run on a good quality 500W. So if a good 650W is available for a much better price, it'll only save you money.

e4r33d

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
P2 is good, but again for the record, you probably won't need that level of power!
1070 can usually run on a good quality 500W. So if a good 650W is available for a much better price, it'll only save you money.
Well i was thinking of going 650 w but imma overclock and also going to upgrade gpu to a 2070 / 2080 or 2080 ti , depends on my decision then

Reactions: PC Tailor