Mar 10, 2019
So, I was making a Origin PC build just for my entertainment. I know a bit about PC parts and what they do, but I am not a expert. I was looking at the RAM section and wondered if I should put
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
64GB ORIGIN PC DDR4 Powered by Kingston 3000MHz (4 X 16GB)
or
32GB ORIGIN PC DDR4 Powered by Kingston 3200MHz (4 X 8GB)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I saw 64GB of RAM with 3000 MHz, (me being sorta noob), I thought it was very good. But then I saw 32GB of RAM with 3200MHz. This really got me thinking. I was wondering if the power of them was even, or if one was faster and more powerful then the other. They are both DDR4 (and both by Kingston but I am pretty sure it doesn't matter what manufacturer it comes from). I'm not a expert with RAM MegaHertZ because I really never noticed it, but which one is better. The 64GB DDR4 3000MHz or the 32GB DDR4 3200MHz of RAM

Since this is a gaming PC (or is it?), 32GB of 3200MHz would be faster. The most I've seen utilized in any game is around 14GB of RAM. So anything more than that would be somewhat unnecessary for the time being. 32GB isn't a bad idea though since it could be within the next 1-2 years that games start using more than 16GB of RAM.

That being said, the difference between 3000MHz and 3200MHz would be very minimal. 64GB would be complete overkill for gaming. DDR5 is supposed to be out in 2020 and you might want a new system by then, and 99% of people would think 64GB in a gaming system is overkill if you ever wanted to sell it, so you might not get all your money's worth if you did sell it later on.

Just a few things to consider.

Mar 10, 2019
Since this is a gaming PC (or is it?), 32GB of 3200MHz would be faster. The most I've seen utilized in any game is around 14GB of RAM. So anything more than that would be somewhat unnecessary for the time being. 32GB isn't a bad idea though since it could be within the next 1-2 years that games start using more than 16GB of RAM.

That being said, the difference between 3000MHz and 3200MHz would be very minimal. 64GB would be complete overkill for gaming. DDR5 is supposed to be out in 2020 and you might want a new system by then, and 99% of people would think 64GB in a gaming system is overkill if you ever wanted to sell it, so you might not get all your money's worth if you did sell it later on.

Just a few things to consider.
Thank you so much. You replied so quick lol. I will probably wait till 2020 for DDR5. Just another question though, you mentioned, "overkill". Are you saying that 32GB of DDR4 RAM is really powerful on games today and that if I got 64GB of DDR4 RAM and ran games on it today, that it would kinda be like throwing my money out the window

Are you saying that 32GB of DDR4 RAM is really powerful on games today and that if I got 64GB of DDR4 RAM and ran games on it today, that it would kinda be like throwing my money out the window
Yes, that is a good way to put it. Most of the RAM would not be utilized and therefore useless for gaming. 32GB is more than enough for many years to come in regards to gaming. So unless you can think of other things like running multiple virtual machines or hosting a large database, then 64GB would be pointless other than to spend money.

TRENDING THREADS