[SOLVED] 7.1 Surround Sound durability for non-native surround sound applications

archsergentdornan

Commendable
Sep 10, 2017
I'm thinking about buying a HyperX Cloud 2 headset as they're one of the highest rated gaming headsets on the market. But I heard a rumor that using a 7.1 Surround Sound setup (Headset or speakers) for something that doesn't properly support surround sound (like some older games/console ports or even music) can damage the speakers or shorten the overall life span of the unit.

I don't know if this is true and my only source is a infuriatingly vague on the subject. I looked at the setup manual for the Cloud 2 and saw no mention of such issues anywhere.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to it or is it just another internet myth?

Solution
Ive never heard that, not even once.
Get the Cloud IIs if youre interested, they are a nice headset and work well along with being comfortable.
The 7.1 comes form the USB sound card anyway, so it simulates 7.1 audio no matter the source.
Ive never heard that, not even once.
Get the Cloud IIs if youre interested, they are a nice headset and work well along with being comfortable.
The 7.1 comes form the USB sound card anyway, so it simulates 7.1 audio no matter the source.

Solution