[SOLVED] 7 Year old Desktop Gaming Computer - Can't decide between replacing the bad PSU or getting a new rig altogether

BrendonM

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2012
Hi all,

I started having this problem where placing any serious load on my HDD (such as downloading games off of Steam) caused it to shut off, requiring me to open up the computer and unplug/replug in the cords to get it working again. I saw some posts online indicating that this is a PSU problem. When I built my computer in 2012 I purchased a PSU that I later learned was a not so great model (I forget the exact make but it's from Corsair) so this made sense in my case.

I am looking into getting a new PSU and probably a new chasis, but my setup is now 7 years old and I am wondering if I should just get a new computer altogether. I looked up the MOBO/GPU/CPU that I purchased and even today they are very solid performance for price models, but I know that most computer parts don't last indefinitely so I am concerned that I could get a new PSU, only to find out that the PSU wasn't the only problem and that other parts are starting to degrade.

At 7 years of age, should I just replace the rig? My setup is as follows:

MOBO - Asustek p8z77-v LX
CPU - Intel Core i5 3570K @3.40 GHz (quad core)
GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
RAM - 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 (I don't have the exact model but it was purchased in 2012)

Storage - 1Tb refurbished HDD for big files and 256GB SSD for OS and a few other things.

Any input is appreciated.

Solution
Looks like you are way due for a new system, why beat a dead horse?, if its financially justifiable, then just get a new system.

Also regarding the psu, im surprised, i always heard that corsiars are good, try EVGA next time.

woot

Distinguished
Looks like you are way due for a new system, why beat a dead horse?, if its financially justifiable, then just get a new system.

Also regarding the psu, im surprised, i always heard that corsiars are good, try EVGA next time.

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Depending on what further upgrades would i just put a new psu in there,see if it is the problem. If it is 7 years old like the pc might it well be.

Looked abit and even a RX 580 for instance would still run welll on such a pc and would be a decent upgrade. And even a higehr gpu wouldbe fine,could take that to anewer build just like that new psu.