700/96 terminal and K260 server

Archived from groups: comp.terminals,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

Hi to everyone,

This message is not a temporal lapsus or the last part of "Back to the
Future" :) :

I'm trying to resucitate an HP K260 server, which has been stored for
a couple of years. This beatiful machine is not alone: with it I have
a 700/96 terminal.

When I started the machine, it perfoms all the initial routine and
ends with a "RUN FXXF" message on the display. So, it seems it's all
O.K. but I cannot see a thing at the console.

I've tried all the possible combinations I figured and read (in this
group and websites) but i'haven't achieve the goal: i put the remote
mode on and off and also tried with the Console and External Modem
connectors.

The cable I've used is null-modem kind (electrical and pin layout
tests perfomed).

I guess i should be able to access via telnet but unfortunately i
don't the machine's IP (it's static).

There's someone who has an idea and brings me hope? :)

Greetings,
Carlos Yáñez S.
carlos.yanez.s@gmail.com

Carlos Y??ez S. wrote:
> Hi to everyone,
>
> This message is not a temporal lapsus or the last part of "Back to the
> Future" :) :
>
> I'm trying to resucitate an HP K260 server, which has been stored for
> a couple of years. This beatiful machine is not alone: with it I have
> a 700/96 terminal.
>
> When I started the machine, it perfoms all the initial routine and
> ends with a "RUN FXXF" message on the display. So, it seems it's all
> O.K. but I cannot see a thing at the console.
>
> I've tried all the possible combinations I figured and read (in this
> group and websites) but i'haven't achieve the goal: i put the remote
> mode on and off and also tried with the Console and External Modem
> connectors.
>
> The cable I've used is null-modem kind (electrical and pin layout
> tests perfomed).
>
> I guess i should be able to access via telnet but unfortunately i
> don't the machine's IP (it's static).
>
> There's someone who has an idea and brings me hope? :)
>
> Greetings,
> Carlos Yáñez S.
> carlos.yanez.s@gmail.com
Hallo

You might find the IP with "arp -a" if on the same ethernet segment.

Yours, Hans Martin.

In comp.sys.hp.hardware Carlos Y??ez S. <carlos.yanez.s@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've tried all the possible combinations I figured and read (in this
> group and websites) but i'haven't achieve the goal: i put the remote
> mode on and off and also tried with the Console and External Modem
> connectors.

If there's a graphics card in the box, remove it and the mouse/keyboard
connected to the ps/2 connectors. Then the box should reset the console to
the first serial port at reboot.

urle

--
Uli Betzler (urle) urle@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Universitaet Karlsruhe, Rechenzentrum IRA/VERA/SR, Zirkel 2, 76128 Karlsruhe

Archived from groups: comp.terminals,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hpux (More info?)

what settings have you set on the terminal? is it in "remote" mode?
default console settings on HP kit are 9600n8.

just for grins, have you tried a non-null-modem cable? i'm not sure
that the K class console stuff is still online at docs.hp.com, but I
don't think that anything is terribly different from the newer boxes
(apart from the use of the "W" cable to get three connects from a
single DB25.

rick jones
- Rick Jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

Carlos Yáñez S. wrote:
> Hi,
> First of all, thanks for all! (all of you).
> I've succesfully logged into the machine via telnet. Despite its age
> and the long time spent off, the server is working OK.
>
> Unfortunately the terminal didn't show any signs of life. I've tried
> all your recommendations (except changing the cable: the previous
> manager assured me the null modem cable connection was right) but even
> a single character appeared on screen.
>
> The matter is that i need console access cause i'm going to update the
> OS.
> There's something else I can do from "inside" the machine (OS i mean)
> in order to check the configuration.
> (It seems it is a phy layer problem :-( ).
> Greetings,
> Carlos Yáñez S.
> carlos.yanez (at) gmail.com

guess that means you aren't in the us to end a cable, best bet is to see
if you can get a normal null modem cable working to a PC and then you
can use a term emulator, dont use hyperterm.

Carlos Y??ez S. wrote:

> Hi to everyone,
>
> This message is not a temporal lapsus or the last part of "Back to the
> Future" :) :
>
> I'm trying to resucitate an HP K260 server, which has been stored for
> a couple of years. This beatiful machine is not alone: with it I have
> a 700/96 terminal.
>
> When I started the machine, it perfoms all the initial routine and
> ends with a "RUN FXXF" message on the display. So, it seems it's all
> O.K. but I cannot see a thing at the console.
>
> I've tried all the possible combinations I figured and read (in this
> group and websites) but i'haven't achieve the goal: i put the remote
> mode on and off and also tried with the Console and External Modem
> connectors.
>
> The cable I've used is null-modem kind (electrical and pin layout
> tests perfomed).

For the 700/96, you need a straight cable, not the null-modem one. My set came
with the origional one.

You can use your null-modem to connect the HP-UX box to your PC and use
hyperterm (or better).

By head, I recall the settings should be 9600 baud, 8 bits, no parity, no stopbit.

> I guess i should be able to access via telnet but unfortunately i
> don't the machine's IP (it's static).
>
> There's someone who has an idea and brings me hope? :)

If there are any pointers (mice and such) or keyboards connected, it most-likely
defaults to 'workstation'-mode and tries to use a (graphical?) display for console.

btw: my root for info: http://www.openpa.net/, your machine is at
http://www.openpa.net/systems/hawk.html.

CBee