7700k OC to 4.8-5Ghz - hits 100C on 280 rad????

CalifLove

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hey folks,

Trying to get some help in sorting through this temp madness.

Relevant sys specs:

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z270 board
Kraken 62x cooler

Stock temps @ prime 95 small were hitting just below 80 @ 1.87v manual setting (I didn't experiment much with voltage at this point.)

Crank up to 5ghz and I couldn't get it stale until 1.320v. Then I noticed temps were hitting ~96c!

Currently I have backed down to 4.8ghz and 1.285v and it runs though not sure about stability. Temps get to about 85c

All these temps seem really high arent they?

Note, this is with rad fans annoyingly maxxed out too!

Any no brainer settings I am missing in the bios to fix heat?

I'll try to wipe off stock compound and reapply Noctua that I have but the kraken was brand new so sort of at a loss?

Solution
Just an update. I ended up installing the Asus Max Hero 9. for various reasons. Really like the look of the Gigabyte better but at this point I'm sort of over it so I think I'll keep this one installed.

Anyway, point of it is I think I'm sitting pretty good.

Running 4.9Ghz @ 1.220v (offset mode)
-1 AVX Offset
temps maxing out around 82C (avg) on Aida 64 and Prime 95. I haven't tried 5ghz yet...maybe tomorrow.

CalifLove

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006

I am using 26.6. I'll try some of the others and also spend more time tomorrow tuning, re-seating cooler, etc and see how that goes. Thanks

Did you say you set vcore manually to 1.87v? That is WAY too high.

Have a read here with the review done by Tom's Hardware and their experience with overclocking.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-i7-7700-i5-7600k-i5-7600,4870-8.html

The sample they got didn't have a lot of headroom for overclocking and it got hot pretty quick.

Another review comparing the 6700k to the 7700k. The kaby lake i7 consumes quite a bit more power and generates more heat than the 6700k with only slight performance increases.
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/99763-intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-gets-benchmarked-oced/

CalifLove

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006

Sorry, that was supposed to be 1.28v. I was typing in a rush to get out to pick up the woman - please excuse my sloppy writing! :)
I'm going to play around with things today and report back. I also just got in a Asus Max Hero...contemplating trying that out this weekend and comparing as well but I really like the look of the gig board and am feeling lazy - we'll see.

burnhamjs

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
OCCT is another stress/stability program that I like. I used OCCT-Small for checking max temps (30mins) and OCCT-Large for stability testing (3hrs). They recommend OCCT-LINPACK for checking max temps but OCCT-Small produced my heat for me. (may just be because my DRAM is OC'd).

Not suggesting one is better then the other. Just wanted to put out there are other options. Aida64 is another, but gaming produced greater temps then Aida64 did, so I swapped to OCCT.

CalifLove

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Just an update. I ended up installing the Asus Max Hero 9. for various reasons. Really like the look of the Gigabyte better but at this point I'm sort of over it so I think I'll keep this one installed.

Anyway, point of it is I think I'm sitting pretty good.

Running 4.9Ghz @ 1.220v (offset mode)
-1 AVX Offset
temps maxing out around 82C (avg) on Aida 64 and Prime 95. I haven't tried 5ghz yet...maybe tomorrow.

Solution