saltiren

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Hello everyone, I was looking at upgrading from my well used Nvidia 1060 3gb. I've been upgrading my system bit by bit and recently upgraded the motherboard and PSU. I went from 430w to 650w but I may have underestimated the draw of newer cards. I really like this card (ASRock STEEL LEGEND Radeon RX 7700XT) for aesthetic and practical reasons, however the recommended wattage for this card is 750w. I have a 65w CPU and the estimated wattage is not even at 500w. I know having more extra power would be ideal, but I'd like to not replace this brand new PSU. Could I slot the card in anyhow? I'm not planning on upgrading anything else except maybe the M.2 to a larger capacity. I feel like the system should be capable of handling the card, but I was looking for second opinions. Please let me know what you think, thank you.

The build (with new card): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ndDGcH

Hello everyone, I was looking at upgrading from my well used Nvidia 1060 3gb. I've been upgrading my system bit by bit and recently upgraded the motherboard and PSU. I went from 430w to 650w but I may have underestimated the draw of newer cards. I really like this card (ASRock STEEL LEGEND Radeon RX 7700XT) for aesthetic and practical reasons, however the recommended wattage for this card is 750w. I have a 65w CPU and the estimated wattage is not even at 500w. I know having more extra power would be ideal, but I'd like to not replace this brand new PSU. Could I slot the card in anyhow? I'm not planning on upgrading anything else except maybe the M.2 to a larger capacity. I feel like the system should be capable of handling the card, but I was looking for second opinions. Please let me know what you think, thank you.

The build (with new card): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ndDGcH
Your PSU is fine for a 7700xt. That recommended 750w is because some modern CPUs can draw 300w, yours can't. You bought a good PSU, so it shouldn't blow up if it did ever reach it's maximum rating, but it just won't get that high.

Reactions: saltiren

saltiren

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Your PSU is fine for a 7700xt. That recommended 750w is because some modern CPUs can draw 300w, yours can't. You bought a good PSU, so it shouldn't blow up if it did ever reach it's maximum rating, but it just won't get that high.
Thank you! That is great to hear. I appreciate your answer :)