8KNXP memory upgrade?

I have two 512MB DDR2 400 PC2-3200 memory modules in my 8KNXP and I
want to add two more. Is this the right stuff, and a good price?
http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2349
The part number on my current memory is D512M400SA

Another thing - I have BIOS version F5. What do I have to gain by
upgrading the BIOS? Everthing seems to work fine now.

Many thanks!

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Hi,

Is this a rev 1 board?
If so, then try adding ram - a matched pair (IE same make model) same as or
better than you have already - LEAVE your current ram in the slots it is in!

F6 was the bios that sorted a few ram issues, these issues were history
around version F10 or so.

So, I would have bios F5 backed up to the backup bios, install new ram, load
setup defaults, up ram voltage 0.1v, and test with memtest86.
Consider upgrading the bios to F10 or so, but dont' jump into F12 if you are
installing RAID as there is apparently an issue with it on F12(?).

Do one thing at a time, so that you know what breaks.

BTW: i have 2gb on my rev 1: 1gb (2x512) corsair and 1gb of fast cheap
stuff.

Regards,
-Tim

"KatManDEW" <donwise@clover.net> wrote in message
>I have two 512MB DDR2 400 PC2-3200 memory modules in my 8KNXP and I
> want to add two more. Is this the right stuff, and a good price?
> http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2349
> The part number on my current memory is D512M400SA
>
> Another thing - I have BIOS version F5. What do I have to gain by
> upgrading the BIOS? Everthing seems to work fine now.
>
> Many thanks!

I assume this is a rev 1 board since I got it 1 1/2 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

Don

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:09:09 +1300, "Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is this a rev 1 board?
>If so, then try adding ram - a matched pair (IE same make model) same as or
>better than you have already - LEAVE your current ram in the slots it is in!
>
>F6 was the bios that sorted a few ram issues, these issues were history
>around version F10 or so.
>
>So, I would have bios F5 backed up to the backup bios, install new ram, load
>setup defaults, up ram voltage 0.1v, and test with memtest86.
>Consider upgrading the bios to F10 or so, but dont' jump into F12 if you are
>installing RAID as there is apparently an issue with it on F12(?).
>
>Do one thing at a time, so that you know what breaks.
>
>BTW: i have 2gb on my rev 1: 1gb (2x512) corsair and 1gb of fast cheap
>stuff.
>
>Regards,
>-Tim
>

>"KatManDEW" <donwise@clover.net> wrote in message
>>I have two 512MB DDR2 400 PC2-3200 memory modules in my 8KNXP and I
>> want to add two more. Is this the right stuff, and a good price?
>> http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2349
>> The part number on my current memory is D512M400SA
>>
>> Another thing - I have BIOS version F5. What do I have to gain by
>> upgrading the BIOS? Everthing seems to work fine now.
>>
>> Many thanks!

Wow! I'm glad you caught that. Thanks! I ordered the "most popular"
selection from that web site.

The types of memory available today are mind boggling. Much more
complicated than when I built my first IBM XT clone ;-) That Crucial
system for selecting memory is just the ticket. I'll use that from now
on.

Many many thanks for the help!

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:47:03 -0500, Gibbs <okgibbs@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Your system uses 184 pin DIMM memore modules. The web page your have
>listed in a 240 pin DIMM. Check to make sure of the memory modueles that
>are compatible with your actual board.
>
>Crucial.com has these moudles of the GA-8KNXP motherboard.
>http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Giga-Byte%2B+Motherboards&mfr=Giga-Byte&cat=RAM&model=GA-8KNXP&submit=Go
>

>KatManDEW wrote:
>> I have two 512MB DDR2 400 PC2-3200 memory modules in my 8KNXP and I
>> want to add two more. Is this the right stuff, and a good price?
>> http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2349
>> The part number on my current memory is D512M400SA
>>
>> Another thing - I have BIOS version F5. What do I have to gain by
>> upgrading the BIOS? Everthing seems to work fine now.
>>
>> Many thanks!

I have dual, mirrored, SATA drives. Doesn this create a problem for
BIOS upgrading?

Thanks.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:09:09 +1300, "Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is this a rev 1 board?
>If so, then try adding ram - a matched pair (IE same make model) same as or
>better than you have already - LEAVE your current ram in the slots it is in!
>
>F6 was the bios that sorted a few ram issues, these issues were history
>around version F10 or so.
>
>So, I would have bios F5 backed up to the backup bios, install new ram, load
>setup defaults, up ram voltage 0.1v, and test with memtest86.
>Consider upgrading the bios to F10 or so, but dont' jump into F12 if you are
>installing RAID as there is apparently an issue with it on F12(?).
>
>Do one thing at a time, so that you know what breaks.
>
>BTW: i have 2gb on my rev 1: 1gb (2x512) corsair and 1gb of fast cheap
>stuff.
>
>Regards,
>-Tim
>

>"KatManDEW" <donwise@clover.net> wrote in message
>>I have two 512MB DDR2 400 PC2-3200 memory modules in my 8KNXP and I
>> want to add two more. Is this the right stuff, and a good price?
>> http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2349
>> The part number on my current memory is D512M400SA
>>
>> Another thing - I have BIOS version F5. What do I have to gain by
>> upgrading the BIOS? Everthing seems to work fine now.
>>
>> Many thanks!

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

read the notes for every intervening bios updae between what you have now
and what you are going to. Check the read me's for the raid drivers, check
the Intel and Silicon Image web sites...

One of the early bios updates stated soemthing along the lines of Upgrade
the Windows drivers First. IE install the more recent Windows XP RAID
drivers (this applied to Intel ICH5R) then upgrade the BIOS. That was a long
time ago, so proceed with caution and I recommend an image of the drives are
taken first.

If you have dual RAID 1 then you must be using both SATA raid's(IE SIL and
Intel), so check for SIL details tooo.

GB has been slow updating the ICH5R firmware, possibly the SIL firmware too.
There are much more recent Intel drivers out - includes functionality for
ICH6R (915 and 925 mobos) - these work fine in 8KNXP rev 1 - I use bios F10.

BOL

>I have dual, mirrored, SATA drives. Doesn this create a problem for
> BIOS upgrading?
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:09:09 +1300, "Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Is this a rev 1 board?
>>If so, then try adding ram - a matched pair (IE same make model) same as
>>or
>>better than you have already - LEAVE your current ram in the slots it is
>>in!
>>
>>F6 was the bios that sorted a few ram issues, these issues were history
>>around version F10 or so.
>>
>>So, I would have bios F5 backed up to the backup bios, install new ram,
>>load
>>setup defaults, up ram voltage 0.1v, and test with memtest86.
>>Consider upgrading the bios to F10 or so, but dont' jump into F12 if you
>>are
>>installing RAID as there is apparently an issue with it on F12(?).
>>
>>Do one thing at a time, so that you know what breaks.
>>
>>BTW: i have 2gb on my rev 1: 1gb (2x512) corsair and 1gb of fast cheap
>>stuff.
>>
>>Regards,
>>-Tim
>>

>>"KatManDEW" <donwise@clover.net> wrote in message
>>>I have two 512MB DDR2 400 PC2-3200 memory modules in my 8KNXP and I
>>> want to add two more. Is this the right stuff, and a good price?
>>> http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2349
>>> The part number on my current memory is D512M400SA
>>>
>>> Another thing - I have BIOS version F5. What do I have to gain by
>>> upgrading the BIOS? Everthing seems to work fine now.
>>>
>>> Many thanks!

"KatManDEW" <donwise@clover.net> wrote in message
>I have two 512MB DDR2 400 PC2-3200 memory modules in my 8KNXP and I
> want to add two more. Is this the right stuff, and a good price?
> http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2349
> The part number on my current memory is D512M400SA
>
> Another thing - I have BIOS version F5. What do I have to gain by
> upgrading the BIOS? Everthing seems to work fine now.

I have the same board (8KNXP rev. 1) running RAID0 on ICH5R, with bios 13a
and the latest RAID drivers. You are getting good advice so far, but I
would consider the 13a bios because of an apparent problem with installing
WinXP and RAID with earlier versions. I don't know the details of this
issue, but I upgraded a month or so ago and it is stable.

When I moved from PATA (single) to SATA (single), I updated my RAID drivers
to the most current, then when I moved again to SATA RAID I was ready. I've
had no issues with any bios I've tried so far, but if you upgrade be sure to
save your old F5 as the backup first.

As for adding more RAM, find the same brand and type, and buy a matched
pair. That is your best bet for stable operation. When installed, run
Memtest86 (latest version) for at least a few hours to test the RAM. Older
versions may give false negatives, as I ran into when I upgraded to 2gb
about one year ago.

Before doing anything it'd also be good to make a total system backup.

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:51:18 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
wrote:

>"KatManDEW" <donwise@clover.net> wrote in message
>>I have two 512MB DDR2 400 PC2-3200 memory modules in my 8KNXP and I
>> want to add two more. Is this the right stuff, and a good price?
>> http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2349
>> The part number on my current memory is D512M400SA
>>
>> Another thing - I have BIOS version F5. What do I have to gain by
>> upgrading the BIOS? Everthing seems to work fine now.
>
>I have the same board (8KNXP rev. 1) running RAID0 on ICH5R, with bios 13a
>and the latest RAID drivers. You are getting good advice so far, but I
>would consider the 13a bios because of an apparent problem with installing
>WinXP and RAID with earlier versions. I don't know the details of this
>issue, but I upgraded a month or so ago and it is stable.
>
>When I moved from PATA (single) to SATA (single), I updated my RAID drivers
>to the most current, then when I moved again to SATA RAID I was ready. I've
>had no issues with any bios I've tried so far, but if you upgrade be sure to
>save your old F5 as the backup first.
>
>As for adding more RAM, find the same brand and type, and buy a matched
>pair. That is your best bet for stable operation. When installed, run
>Memtest86 (latest version) for at least a few hours to test the RAM. Older
>versions may give false negatives, as I ran into when I upgraded to 2gb
>about one year ago.
>
>Before doing anything it'd also be good to make a total system backup.
Many thanks for all the info! I got the recommended memory from
Crucial. I was worried because it does not have the same chip count as
my original memory, but I installed it and it works! I ran through one
complete set of testing with Memtest86 with no errors.

I have dual "mirrored" SATA drives. I don't know which RAID mode that
is. The vendor helped me set it up. When I check the Gigabyte BIOS
download page, for the F6 BIOS it says;
--------------
"Add ICH5R SATA RAID 1 mode support
Note! If your OS (like WinXP) is already installed on SATA HDDs under
ICH5R controller, please make sure to update ICH5R SATA RAID driver
from our IUCD 2.4 or Gigabyte website first, then update bios F6."
---------------

I already have XP installed on SATA drives, but I don't know anything
about the ICH5R controller?

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:51:18 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"KatManDEW" <donwise@clover.net> wrote in message
>>>I have two 512MB DDR2 400 PC2-3200 memory modules in my 8KNXP and I
>>> want to add two more. Is this the right stuff, and a good price?
>>> http://www.buyaib.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2349
>>> The part number on my current memory is D512M400SA
>>>
>>> Another thing - I have BIOS version F5. What do I have to gain by
>>> upgrading the BIOS? Everthing seems to work fine now.
>>
>>I have the same board (8KNXP rev. 1) running RAID0 on ICH5R, with bios 13a
>>and the latest RAID drivers. You are getting good advice so far, but I
>>would consider the 13a bios because of an apparent problem with installing
>>WinXP and RAID with earlier versions. I don't know the details of this
>>issue, but I upgraded a month or so ago and it is stable.
>>
>>When I moved from PATA (single) to SATA (single), I updated my RAID
>>drivers
>>to the most current, then when I moved again to SATA RAID I was ready.
>>I've
>>had no issues with any bios I've tried so far, but if you upgrade be sure
>>save your old F5 as the backup first.
>>
>>As for adding more RAM, find the same brand and type, and buy a matched
>>pair. That is your best bet for stable operation. When installed, run
>>Memtest86 (latest version) for at least a few hours to test the RAM.
>>Older
>>versions may give false negatives, as I ran into when I upgraded to 2gb
>>about one year ago.
>>
>>Before doing anything it'd also be good to make a total system backup.

> Many thanks for all the info! I got the recommended memory from
> Crucial. I was worried because it does not have the same chip count as
> my original memory, but I installed it and it works! I ran through one
> complete set of testing with Memtest86 with no errors.

Let it run repeatedly overnight just to be sure. If you must mix RAM with
another brand, I would put Crucial at the top of the list.

> I have dual "mirrored" SATA drives. I don't know which RAID mode that
> is. The vendor helped me set it up. When I check the Gigabyte BIOS
> download page, for the F6 BIOS it says;
> --------------
> "Add ICH5R SATA RAID 1 mode support
> Note! If your OS (like WinXP) is already installed on SATA HDDs under
> ICH5R controller, please make sure to update ICH5R SATA RAID driver
> from our IUCD 2.4 or Gigabyte website first, then update bios F6."
> ---------------
>
> I already have XP installed on SATA drives, but I don't know anything
> about the ICH5R controller?

You have two options for RAID, ICH5R (on-chip) and SIL-3112 (on-board), and
I know the former will run RAID1 but not sure of the latter. You should be
able to tell by watching the boot process when the RAID controller bios
screen pops up. Regardless, you have four SATA connectors on the board, all
clumped together, and ICH5R pair are those closest to the front of the case.

If you are connected to the ICH5R controller, update those drivers and go to
the F13a bios. I've been using f13a for a month now with no issues, running
ICH5R RAID0, so I feel safe recommending it. It has a fix for RAID systems
installing WinXP, which is why I upgraded. Before updating your bios, save
your old F5 to backup. For the RAID drivers, copy them to a floppy disk and
when you update the 82801-ER driver point to that disk. For safety, create
a system restore point beforehand.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:55:54 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>> about the ICH5R controller?
>
>You have two options for RAID, ICH5R (on-chip) and SIL-3112 (on-board), and
>I know the former will run RAID1 but not sure of the latter. You should be
>able to tell by watching the boot process when the RAID controller bios
>screen pops up. Regardless, you have four SATA connectors on the board, all
>clumped together, and ICH5R pair are those closest to the front of the case.
>
>If you are connected to the ICH5R controller, update those drivers and go to
>the F13a bios. I've been using f13a for a month now with no issues, running
>ICH5R RAID0, so I feel safe recommending it. It has a fix for RAID systems
>installing WinXP, which is why I upgraded. Before updating your bios, save
>your old F5 to backup. For the RAID drivers, copy them to a floppy disk and
>when you update the 82801-ER driver point to that disk. For safety, create

It seems I'm not running ICH5R. I'm connected to the two SATA ports
towards the back of the board/case, and I get a SIL-3112 meggase at
boot up. The two front ports are connected to two unused external
connectors on the back of the case. That being the case, I shouldn't
need to update the CH5R SATA RAID driver before upgrading the BIOS,
right?

Can I connect another pair of SATA drives to the unused SATA ports.
and if so do they need to be "mirrored", and can I mirror them if
needed?

I'll run the mem test all night tonight.

Thanks again!

wrote:

> [...]
>> about the ICH5R controller?
>
>You have two options for RAID, ICH5R (on-chip) and SIL-3112 (on-board), and
>I know the former will run RAID1 but not sure of the latter. You should be
>able to tell by watching the boot process when the RAID controller bios
>screen pops up. Regardless, you have four SATA connectors on the board, all
>clumped together, and ICH5R pair are those closest to the front of the case.
>
>If you are connected to the ICH5R controller, update those drivers and go to
>the F13a bios. I've been using f13a for a month now with no issues, running
>ICH5R RAID0, so I feel safe recommending it. It has a fix for RAID systems
>installing WinXP, which is why I upgraded. Before updating your bios, save
>your old F5 to backup. For the RAID drivers, copy them to a floppy disk and
>when you update the 82801-ER driver point to that disk. For safety, create

I tried to update my BIOS from the Qflash utilitty, and it looked like
it worked, but it still says F5 when I boot.

>>You have two options for RAID, ICH5R (on-chip) and SIL-3112 (on-board),
>>and
>>I know the former will run RAID1 but not sure of the latter. You should
>>be
>>able to tell by watching the boot process when the RAID controller bios
>>screen pops up. Regardless, you have four SATA connectors on the board,
>>all
>>clumped together, and ICH5R pair are those closest to the front of the
>>case.
>>
>>If you are connected to the ICH5R controller, update those drivers and go
>>the F13a bios. I've been using f13a for a month now with no issues,
>>running
>>ICH5R RAID0, so I feel safe recommending it. It has a fix for RAID
>>systems
>>installing WinXP, which is why I upgraded. Before updating your bios,
>>save
>>your old F5 to backup. For the RAID drivers, copy them to a floppy disk
>>and
>>when you update the 82801-ER driver point to that disk. For safety,
>>create
>>a system restore point beforehand.

> I tried to update my BIOS from the Qflash utilitty, and it looked like
> it worked, but it still says F5 when I boot.

You should see the bios version of the new bios, not the old. Keep in mind
that this board has a quirk, that if you abort the boot process immediately
after POST (i.e., reset), it may revert to the backup bios indefinitely
until you change it. I haven't tried this with 13a, but some earlier bios
versions did this.

shows at POST. If it is still F5 you should try the upgrade process again.
I can't imagine why it wouldn't show correctly if the flash process reported
success.

>>You have two options for RAID, ICH5R (on-chip) and SIL-3112 (on-board),
>>and
>>I know the former will run RAID1 but not sure of the latter. You should
>>be
>>able to tell by watching the boot process when the RAID controller bios
>>screen pops up. Regardless, you have four SATA connectors on the board,
>>all
>>clumped together, and ICH5R pair are those closest to the front of the
>>case.
>>
>>If you are connected to the ICH5R controller, update those drivers and go
>>the F13a bios. I've been using f13a for a month now with no issues,
>>running
>>ICH5R RAID0, so I feel safe recommending it. It has a fix for RAID
>>systems
>>installing WinXP, which is why I upgraded. Before updating your bios,
>>save
>>your old F5 to backup. For the RAID drivers, copy them to a floppy disk
>>and
>>when you update the 82801-ER driver point to that disk. For safety,
>>create
>>a system restore point beforehand.
>>
> It seems I'm not running ICH5R. I'm connected to the two SATA ports
> towards the back of the board/case, and I get a SIL-3112 meggase at
> boot up. The two front ports are connected to two unused external
> connectors on the back of the case. That being the case, I shouldn't
> need to update the CH5R SATA RAID driver before upgrading the BIOS,
> right?

No, no need to update since you're you're running on SIL-3112.

> Can I connect another pair of SATA drives to the unused SATA ports.
> and if so do they need to be "mirrored", and can I mirror them if
> needed?

Your unused ports are on the ICH5R controller, and you can run one single
drive, two singles, one RAID0 array, or one RAID1 array. It might even do
JBOD, but I can't recall.

> I'll run the mem test all night tonight.

If it passes an all-night run, you're good to go.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:26:58 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
wrote:

>"KatManDEW" <donwise@clover.net> wrote in message
>

>>>You have two options for RAID, ICH5R (on-chip) and SIL-3112 (on-board),
>>>and
>>>I know the former will run RAID1 but not sure of the latter. You should
>>>be
>>>able to tell by watching the boot process when the RAID controller bios
>>>screen pops up. Regardless, you have four SATA connectors on the board,
>>>all
>>>clumped together, and ICH5R pair are those closest to the front of the
>>>case.
>>>
>>>If you are connected to the ICH5R controller, update those drivers and go
>>>the F13a bios. I've been using f13a for a month now with no issues,
>>>running
>>>ICH5R RAID0, so I feel safe recommending it. It has a fix for RAID
>>>systems
>>>installing WinXP, which is why I upgraded. Before updating your bios,
>>>save
>>>your old F5 to backup. For the RAID drivers, copy them to a floppy disk
>>>and
>>>when you update the 82801-ER driver point to that disk. For safety,
>>>create
>>>a system restore point beforehand.
>
>> I tried to update my BIOS from the Qflash utilitty, and it looked like
>> it worked, but it still says F5 when I boot.
>
>You should see the bios version of the new bios, not the old. Keep in mind
>that this board has a quirk, that if you abort the boot process immediately
>after POST (i.e., reset), it may revert to the backup bios indefinitely
>until you change it. I haven't tried this with 13a, but some earlier bios
>versions did this.

>shows at POST. If it is still F5 you should try the upgrade process again.
>I can't imagine why it wouldn't show correctly if the flash process reported
>success.

OK. I got the BIOS updated. The last part of the process, after it
reads the file from floppy, didn't occur the first time I tried it.

Only remaing bug I have is a SCSI/RAID controller with a yellow
exclaimation on it in in Device Manager. It says "Windows cannot load
the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate
device already running in the system." It's been there since I first
got the PC and everything appears to be working fine. Could this be
the ICH5R controller?

And of course I still have no joy with USB 2.0 devices in the front
ports. But I got a internal card reader with a spare USB port on it,
and connected it to the second pair of USB headers, and 2.0 devices
work with it.

> OK. I got the BIOS updated. The last part of the process, after it
> reads the file from floppy, didn't occur the first time I tried it.
>
> Only remaing bug I have is a SCSI/RAID controller with a yellow
> exclaimation on it in in Device Manager. It says "Windows cannot load
> the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate
> device already running in the system." It's been there since I first
> got the PC and everything appears to be working fine. Could this be
> the ICH5R controller?

When you click on the "+" to the left of the SCSI/RAID Controller section do
you see
"Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller"? Is there a yellow "!" next to it?
If so, this is the ICH5R controller, and you should either disable it in the
bios or install the driver for it.

If I were you I'd install the driver and have it ready in case you want to
use it in the future.

> And of course I still have no joy with USB 2.0 devices in the front
> ports. But I got a internal card reader with a spare USB port on it,
> and connected it to the second pair of USB headers, and 2.0 devices
> work with it.

That may be an issue with the case ports, not the mobo, as the USB headers
on that board are all USB 2.0 and devices connected to them should work in
high-speed mode.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:59:09 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
wrote:

>"KatManDEW" <donwise@clover.net> wrote in message
>
>> OK. I got the BIOS updated. The last part of the process, after it
>> reads the file from floppy, didn't occur the first time I tried it.
>>
>> Only remaing bug I have is a SCSI/RAID controller with a yellow
>> exclaimation on it in in Device Manager. It says "Windows cannot load
>> the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate
>> device already running in the system." It's been there since I first
>> got the PC and everything appears to be working fine. Could this be
>> the ICH5R controller?
>
>When you click on the "+" to the left of the SCSI/RAID Controller section do
>you see
>"Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller"? Is there a yellow "!" next to it?
>If so, this is the ICH5R controller, and you should either disable it in the
>bios or install the driver for it.

Bob;

You are a very helpful person. I am indebted to you for your generous
help.

The yellow "I" device is just listed as SCSI/RAID Host Controller".
The next device listed is "Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATA Raid
Controller" and it is working properly (no yellow "I"). I downloaded
and tried to install the Inten ICH5R drivers, but the installation
reported "Incompatable chipset" and aborted. I agree that I should
install the driver for it so I will be ready to use it in the future.

>If I were you I'd install the driver and have it ready in case you want to
>use it in the future.
>
>> And of course I still have no joy with USB 2.0 devices in the front
>> ports. But I got a internal card reader with a spare USB port on it,
>> and connected it to the second pair of USB headers, and 2.0 devices
>> work with it.
>
>That may be an issue with the case ports, not the mobo, as the USB headers
>on that board are all USB 2.0 and devices connected to them should work in
>high-speed mode.

I checked the case ports, down to the connecters that connect to the
motherboard header for continuity, and the appear to be wired
correctly. I am baffled as to what else could be wrong with the case
ports. Tere are two dual USB headers at that location on the
motherboard, the second of which connects to a pair of USB connections
on a "slot plate" on the back of the PC, and these two work fine with
USB 2.0 devices.

BTW: The BIOS upgrade seems to have corrected a problem with not
POSTing with some of my new USB devices connected. It would hang
before the memory test, but is breezes right past that normally now.
It also seems to boot faste - before XP starts to load.

Many many thanks. I wish I knew a way to repay you for all the help.

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:59:09 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"KatManDEW" <donwise@clover.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> OK. I got the BIOS updated. The last part of the process, after it
>>> reads the file from floppy, didn't occur the first time I tried it.
>>>
>>> Only remaing bug I have is a SCSI/RAID controller with a yellow
>>> exclaimation on it in in Device Manager. It says "Windows cannot load
>>> the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate
>>> device already running in the system." It's been there since I first
>>> got the PC and everything appears to be working fine. Could this be
>>> the ICH5R controller?
>>
>>When you click on the "+" to the left of the SCSI/RAID Controller section
>>do
>>you see
>>"Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller"? Is there a yellow "!" next to
>>it?
>>If so, this is the ICH5R controller, and you should either disable it in
>>the
>>bios or install the driver for it.
>>
> Bob;
>
> You are a very helpful person. I am indebted to you for your generous
> help.

I appreciate the kind words. You're welcome.

> The yellow "I" device is just listed as SCSI/RAID Host Controller".
> The next device listed is "Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATA Raid
> Controller" and it is working properly (no yellow "I"). I downloaded
> and tried to install the Inten ICH5R drivers, but the installation
> reported "Incompatable chipset" and aborted. I agree that I should
> install the driver for it so I will be ready to use it in the future.

I'm sure this is the ICH5R controller that is not being ID'ed specifically
by the OS since there are no drivers installed for it. Not sure why you are
getting an incompatibility error message, but if you don't need the ICH5R
controller at this time I would disable it in the bios. First, right-click
on the item with the yellow "!" and uninstall it. Then reboot, enter the
bios, and disable the "on-chip" SATA controller. Make sure you don't
disable the "on-board" controller since it is the one your are using! The
"SCSI/RAID Host Controller" entry in Device Manager should not be there when
you reboot into XP again.

As always, make sure you are thoroughly backed-up before doing any bios
changes or updates! Murphy may be watching and ready to pounce.

I seem to recall something about an incompatibility problem with my install
of the ICH5R SATA RAID controller drivers, which if so obviously was
resolved, but there is nothing in my copious notes, so I'm clueless. Write
down the exact error message and do a Google search enclosing the phrase in
quotes." Check both "Web" and "Groups" in Google and you should find
something. If this doesn't help, add "ICH5R" or "81802-ER" after the quote.

BTW, I keep a log of *everything* I do to the computer, hardware- or
software-wise. This helps to trace problems that may crop up later, and is
a Notepad TXT file that is accessible by an icon on my desktop. Here's an
example over the past month. The references to "2200," etc., pertain to the
time of day.

02/21/05/2200: Uninst. NN v2.0.1, re-inst. NN v2.1.0
02/19/05/1400: Inst. QuickTime v6.5.2. Uninst. bundled iTunes.

02/16/05/1700: Uninst. Digital Pict. Magic, then re-inst. Shows NEF's in WE.

02/16/05/2230: Inst. REST2514.EXE (Restore CF files)

02/16/05/2330: Upgr. Digital Pict. Magic to v1.1.016

02/10/05/1530: Inst. Linksys cable modem

02/08/05/2100: Upgr. to NC 4.2.

02/06/05/1200: Upgr. to Adobe Camera Raw v2.4 (plug-in). Had to delete
Nikon*.8bi files again from NV upgrade below.

02/04/05/2200: Upgr. to NV 6.2.3.

~02/01/05: Cable modem cutting out sporadically for past week. Cox tech
says problem is with modem. Ordered new modem (Linksys) 02/04/05.

01/19/05/1230: Inst. USB Mobile Rack

>>If I were you I'd install the driver and have it ready in case you want to
>>use it in the future.
>>
>>> And of course I still have no joy with USB 2.0 devices in the front
>>> ports. But I got a internal card reader with a spare USB port on it,
>>> and connected it to the second pair of USB headers, and 2.0 devices
>>> work with it.
>>
>>That may be an issue with the case ports, not the mobo, as the USB headers
>>on that board are all USB 2.0 and devices connected to them should work in
>>high-speed mode.
>>
> I checked the case ports, down to the connecters that connect to the
> motherboard header for continuity, and the appear to be wired
> correctly. I am baffled as to what else could be wrong with the case
> ports. Tere are two dual USB headers at that location on the
> motherboard, the second of which connects to a pair of USB connections
> on a "slot plate" on the back of the PC, and these two work fine with
> USB 2.0 devices.

All I can think of is that the cables or ports are not compatible with USB
2.0. I would check the specs on the case to be sure, and maybe call their
tech support for help. Try swapping USB headers on the mobo to see if the
problem stays with the front panel. If it does then there is a problem with
the front panel. If the problem goes away you know it is an issue with the
header, but I'd put money on the front panel as the culprit.

> BTW: The BIOS upgrade seems to have corrected a problem with not
> POSTing with some of my new USB devices connected. It would hang
> before the memory test, but is breezes right past that normally now.
> It also seems to boot faste - before XP starts to load.

It's good that you updated the bios. I don't have the qualms about doing
these upgrades with this mobo, if there is a need, now that a backup is
available. In the past I would always have a spare bios chip handy in case
of an update failure, which never happened, but now it seems to be something
we don't need to worry about anymore. Just make sure you have the old,
previously working bios version on the backup chip before updating.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:01:41 -0600, "Bob Davis" <iclicknix@cox.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>the front panel. If the problem goes away you know it is an issue with the
>header, but I'd put money on the front panel as the culprit.
>
>> BTW: The BIOS upgrade seems to have corrected a problem with not
>> POSTing with some of my new USB devices connected. It would hang
>> before the memory test, but is breezes right past that normally now.
>> It also seems to boot faste - before XP starts to load.
>
>It's good that you updated the bios. I don't have the qualms about doing
>these upgrades with this mobo, if there is a need, now that a backup is
>available. In the past I would always have a spare bios chip handy in case
>of an update failure, which never happened, but now it seems to be something
>we don't need to worry about anymore. Just make sure you have the old,
>previously working bios version on the backup chip before updating.

Thanks again Bob. I'll Google the ICH5R problem, and swap the USB
header. I'll bet it's the front panel because the bottom header works
when connected to my new internal card reader which has an extra USB
port on it.