[SOLVED] 9-pin usb to 3-pin argb ?

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Hi,
I have an atc800 from gigabyte, the mobo is an msiz390 tomahawk and the problem is about the light system of the cooler.
I don t know why but gigabyte had thinked that put an 9pin for the rgb conrol was a good thing, now I m searching how to put that 9 pin(usb) to a 3 pin for argb.
I have an argb hub already connected to the only argb(jrainbow) header of the mobo.
A guy told me that I could connect the 9pin to the 3 pin but I don t think is possible.
I m looking for a solution, is good anything for me; hub, spiltter, converter headers or also if is possible and good the thing above.
Thanks
P.S.
I talked with msi and they told me that everything connected to the rgb header will be manege by mistych light with no exclution

Solution
basically I just want a converter from "9pin" usb header to 3 pin arg,
I'm afraid - no such thing is possible.
The cooler has integrated RGB controller (USB connected). You can not feed RGB signal to it.
I ve took a closer look to the "9pin" on the cooler and it look like an actual 4 pin cabled, I think there are 1 5v cable, 1 ground and 2 data(from what I ve read is data+ and-),now a 3 pin arg have ground, 5v and data.
4pin connector is just for fan motor. It has nothing to do with RGB.
Hi,
I have an atc800 from gigabyte, the mobo is an msiz390 tomahawk and the problem is about the light system of the cooler.
I don t know why but gigabyte had thinked that put an 9pin for the rgb conrol was a good thing, now I m searching how to put that 9 pin(usb) to a 3 pin for argb.
I have an argb hub already connected to the only argb(jrainbow) header of the mobo.
A guy told me that I could connect the 9pin to the 3 pin but I don t think is possible.
I m looking for a solution, is good anything for me; hub, spiltter, converter headers or also if is possible and good the thing above.
Thanks
P.S.
I talked with msi and they told me that everything connected to the rgb header will be manege by mistych light with no exclution
If your concern is based on all of your motherboard's usb headers being used, there are various splitters available and you could search for more:

https://www.amazon.com/Header-Extension-Splitter-Connector-Adapter/dp/B076QBK79M

https://www.newegg.com/black-en-lab...header splitter-_-2.0|header|splitter|usb-_-3

Nowadays these fan manufacturers think people want all sorts of control options for their fan's speeds and colors so they've resorted to using usb connections and various control apps that motherboard manufacturers are not prepared for.

You have to connect it to USB 2.0 header.
Your motherboard has two of those JUSB1, JUSB2.

You control RGB on the cooler with Gigabyte RGB fusion software.
Not sure if MSI mystic light will be able to control it. Probably not.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
If your concern is based on all of your motherboard's usb headers being used, there are various splitters available and you could search for more:

https://www.amazon.com/Header-Extension-Splitter-Connector-Adapter/dp/B076QBK79M

https://www.newegg.com/black-en-labs-1-foot-usb-2-0-9pin-1-to-4-splitter-hub/p/181-01CY-00021?Item=9SIACJF8K33841&Description=usb 2.0 header splitter&cm_re=usb_2.0 header splitter--9SIACJF8K33841--Product&cm_sp=SP--287158--0--1--9SIACJF8K33841--usb 2.0 header splitter--2.0|header|splitter|usb-_-3

Nowadays these fan manufacturers think people want all sorts of control options for their fan's speeds and colors so they've resorted to using usb connections and various control apps that motherboard manufacturers are not prepared for.
Maybe I was not clear, the fans of the cooler are on cpu fans, the lighting only exit with a 9pin usb, but I want to connect on the mobo argb header soo I can control all with mystic and not with also fusion only for the cooler

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
You have to connect it to USB 2.0 header.
Your motherboard has two of those JUSB1, JUSB2.

You control RGB on the cooler with Gigabyte RGB fusion software.
Not sure if MSI mystic light will be able to control it. Probably not.
I know I ve 2 usb header, but I want control all with mystic light soo I have to put the cooler on the mobo rgb header

Maybe I was not clear, the fans of the cooler are on cpu fans, the lighting only exit with a 9pin usb, but I want to connect on the mobo argb header soo I can control all with mystic and not with also fusion only for the cooler
Basically your would need to obtain from Gigabyte a schematic which details precisely how the 9 pin usb connector controls the lighting. The standard usb circiut includes a +5 volt line, a ground, and 2 pins which are usually marked D+ and D- which would appear to be data transfer pins. Then you would need to obtain the schematic from MSI for the argb connector on your motherboard to determine if any of those lines match up with the usb circuitry. If you can do that you can manufacture your own adapter.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Basically your would need to obtain from Gigabyte a schematic which details precisely how the 9 pin usb connector controls the lighting. The standard usb circiut includes a +5 volt line, a ground, and 2 pins which are usually marked D+ and D- which would appear to be data transfer pins. Then you would need to obtain the schematic from MSI for the argb connector on your motherboard to determine if any of those lines match up with the usb circuitry. If you can do that you can manufacture your own adapter.
basically I just want a converter from "9pin" usb header to 3 pin arg, I ve took a closer look to the "9pin" on the cooler and it look like an actual 4 pin cabled, I think there are 1 5v cable, 1 ground and 2 data(from what I ve read is data+ and-),now a 3 pin arg have ground, 5v and data.
I ve searched arround and it look like that 9pin lighting is actually called digital rgb and some like corsair use that.
The hard part is to find how to put that"9pin" to the arg header, I think an hub is also ok but I have to finde a way to connect that dam thing to the lighting system of the mobo.
I don t know like nothing about electrotechnique so I don t know if I can actually unite in some way the data+ and- in a single pin, in that case I think it s done.

Reactions: dwd999
basically I just want a converter from "9pin" usb header to 3 pin arg,
The cooler has integrated RGB controller (USB connected). You can not feed RGB signal to it.
I ve took a closer look to the "9pin" on the cooler and it look like an actual 4 pin cabled, I think there are 1 5v cable, 1 ground and 2 data(from what I ve read is data+ and-),now a 3 pin arg have ground, 5v and data.

Solution
basically I just want a converter from "9pin" usb header to 3 pin arg, I ve took a closer look to the "9pin" on the cooler and it look like an actual 4 pin cabled, I think there are 1 5v cable, 1 ground and 2 data(from what I ve read is data+ and-),now a 3 pin arg have ground, 5v and data.
I ve searched arround and it look like that 9pin lighting is actually called digital rgb and some like corsair use that.
The hard part is to find how to put that"9pin" to the arg header, I think an hub is also ok but I have to finde a way to connect that dam thing to the lighting system of the mobo.
I don t know like nothing about electrotechnique so I don t know if I can actually unite in some way the data+ and- in a single pin, in that case I think it s done.
The 3 pin jrainbow1 port is also intended as an output port, just like a usb port. It provides the same 5volts and ground as a usb port. So the real issue is the single data line on the jrainbow1 port. You would have to decide if you want to risk connecting the data line to either one of the data lines on the cooler and risk damaging the lighting function. Perhaps the cooler really only uses one line to control lighting the same as the rainbow lighting strips. But without knowing which one you could not create a adapter. Perhaps you can get more info from Gigabyte about the cooler's lighting control.

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022

Where you have seen that the cooler have an internal hub?
I know that 4 pin is for fans but also the 9pin lighting thing that control light and shuld be place in usb header actually have only 4 cable, red, withe, green, black(ground I think) the others hole are "fake"

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
The 3 pin jrainbow1 port is also intended as an output port, just like a usb port. It provides the same 5volts and ground as a usb port. So the real issue is the single data line on the jrainbow1 port. You would have to decide if you want to risk connecting the data line to either one of the data lines on the cooler and risk damaging the lighting function. Perhaps the cooler really only uses one line to control lighting the same as the rainbow lighting strips. But without knowing which one you could not create a adapter. Perhaps you can get more info from Gigabyte about the cooler's lighting control.
Yea I was thinking about that when a guy told me"just plug in the arg header".
I was searching some hub where I can connect this 9 pin to, and then the hub connect on the mobo with the classic 3 pin, you know where I could finde some?
I was searching for a while but I did not found nothing, the most similar was the commander pro and an hub from deep cool but I haven t understood if they actually have this 9 pin header.
Useless say that I ve conntacted the gigabyte support for some suggestion but is like 1moth passed and no answare, msi support reply in 2days but gigabyte seems like have not an actual support

LORYT699

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
Not hub. Internal RGB controller.
Because, that's the only way it can work. It is USB connected. It communicates with motherboard using USB protocol (not RGB signal).
For understand better, it s like he have the commander pro but from gigabyte inside the cooler? I see only a fan split and a cable from the cooler