911: help with volume partition/MBR

All,

Can someone offer advice for the following failure:

a) i can no longer boot from my original boot drive
b) i exchanged the drive cables and now boot from an alternate drive - i
want to recover the original drive
c) when i use 'disk manager' i can see the original boot drive (labelled
'Disk 1', the physical volume is partitioned into two logical volumes, one
15GB, labelled 'F', the other 138GB labelled 'G'
d) the 15GB volume, the original boot volume, is not accessible
e) in Disk Manager, the 15GB volume, identified as 'F' is noted as 'Healthy
(Active), when I change focus to this volume it becomes crosshatched.
f) the second volume on this drive, lablled 'G' is simply identifed as
'Healthy', it is surrounded by a green border.
g) I can access Volume 'G' and see all files
h) I *cannot* access Volume "F". even though its listed as Healthy (Active)
and even though I can change the Drive identification letter (From 'F' to
any arbitrary unassigned letter)

i) can i conclude that this partition is not deleted but perhaps the MBR is
missing? If so what can I do to repair this, if anything. I do not have an
ASR disk.

Thanks for your time and expert advice

mr chocolate

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:eNlP7GwOFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
mr chocolate <chocklat@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> i) can i conclude that this partition is not deleted but perhaps the
> MBR is missing? If so what can I do to repair this, if anything. I do
> not have an ASR disk.

Do you have the regular XP disk? If so stick it in the drive, reboot, and
then use recovery console to fix the master boot record. It's /fixmbr
<drive> <switches> IIRC though I don't think any switches will be required.
As for an ASR (automated system recovery) disk that should not be needed in
this case.

Galen