mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
Hi,

I'm in the same boat as a lot of others here for sure, but cannot decide between AMD or Intel for a new build. I'm not much of a gamer tbh so I'm more keen on knowing which CPU feels snappier in everyday desktop, web-browsing, office app use (for example). I've seen numerous vids and read various reviews but I'm still seeing little info on this specific aspect.

So, in that vein, has anyone here had the chance to compare (through experience I mean, not guestimating) the i5 9600k and Ryzen 3600 CPUs; and can say which feels noticeably quicker in this respect?

Thank you.

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
Everyday use, as mentioned above, you really are not going to tell the difference. The 3600 would multitask better, and has the potential to be cheaper, due to not needing to buy a cooler for it.

Thanks logainofhades, good to know. I was leaning more toward Intel due to the iGPU, but lack of one in the 3600 wouldn't be a deal-breaker. The included cooler with AMD offsets that though and would be a definite plus.

The 3600 is everyone's 'go to' these days for basic/all-around workhorse...

There is a chance the 9600K might win the odd lightly threaded task competition, but, I doubt most could discern the difference other than with high speed photography and a precision stopwatch. An M.2 NVME should be 100% mandatory these days...if you can only afford a standard SATA, then get an Intel 660P NVME, ...priced the same as Crucial MX500 SATA...

Reactions: mattnicholas.art

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
Do you already have a discreet gpu?
If not, sounds like Ryzen 3400g or 2400g would be a good option for you.
Both are currently equipped with the strongest igpu available - still pales to having a card like a 1060, for example.

Thanks Phaaze88. No, I don't have a GPU on hand as I'm not really into gaming, it would be good to have an iGPU though I agree as it would save some pennies. If I could expect the 3400 to be at least on par with my old 4670k then it could well be worth considering!

mattnicholas.art

Honorable
May 16, 2018
The 3600 is everyone's 'go to' these days for basic/all-around workhorse...

There is a chance the 9600K might win the odd lightly threaded task competition, but, I doubt most could discern the difference other than with high speed photography and a precision stopwatch. An M.2 NVME should be 100% mandatory these days...if you can only afford a standard SATA, then get an Intel 660P NVME, ...priced the same as Crucial MX500 SATA...

Thanks mdd1963, I would only go with an NVME so that's not a problem.. I'm starting to get the sense that there isn't too much difference speed-wise between the two CPUs (aside from the 3600 destroying the 9600k in multi-threading!). Cheers!