[SOLVED] 970 Evo m.2 running slower than normal (according to Userbenchmark)

Pointerhill34

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
All of my components are running great and are in the 80th percentile or above except this SSD (Samsung 970 Evo) which is in the 27th percentile or according to user benchmark has a score of around 286% compared to normal of 301%. Just wondering if its jus a weird benchmark, or if there are any settings in bios I can tweak. Thank you

PS: I know some ppl don't trust user benchmark but I am a little perfectionist with my pc so it just hurts to see a 27th percentile component lol.

Solution
Biggest offender was Anti Malware bytes running in the system tray. After closing steam and running bechmarks they got a little better , then I close Malwarebytes and they skyrocketed to over 95%.

So the answer is to close ALL apps running in your system tray to get the best results , with antivirus software being the biggest slow down.

Fugitivelama

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I had this same exact problem on this same exact SSD. I posted about it a few hours ago. Eventually I solved the issue. Was getting 17th percentile , now 95th percentile.
3 things that I did , and I am not certain which one fixed it

1. Install Samsung Magician and enabled over provisioning. (Doubt it was this but IDK for sure)

2. Optimized SSD via trim in windows - press the windows start button and type in optimize and it should pop up , I believe its in the Defrag and Optimize App. (This is likely what fixed it IMHO)

3. Closed ALL open programs in the background - I mean everything - I had logitech, corsair, steam, and nvidia programs showing in the system tray , I closed ALL of them out so that the only thing showing was windows security.

Last edited:

Fugitivelama

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I had this same exact problem on this same exact SSD. I posted about it a few hours ago. Eventually I solved the issue. Was getting 17th percentile , now 95th percentile.
3 things that I did , and I am not certain which one fixed it

1. Install Samsung Magician and enabled over provisioning. (Doubt it was this but IDK for sure)

2. Optimized SSD via trim in windows - press the windows start button and type in optimize and it should pop up , I believe its in the Defrag and Optimize App. (This is likely what fixed it IMHO)

3. Closed ALL open programs in the background - I mean everything - I had logitech, corsair, steam, and nvidia programs showing in the task bar pop up , I closed ALL of them out so that the only thing showing was windows defender.

I ran the benchmark again and it was definitely the apps that were running in the system tray. I don't know which one , not do I feel like running the benchmark 7 more times to figure it out. The apps I have running when the Benchmark is bad are AntiMalware Bytes - Logitech gaming software - iCue software from corsair - Steam - NVidia control panel/Ge force experience - and Audio switcher app (assigns hot keys to quickly change my default audio output device)

Fugitivelama

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Biggest offender was Anti Malware bytes running in the system tray. After closing steam and running bechmarks they got a little better , then I close Malwarebytes and they skyrocketed to over 95%.

So the answer is to close ALL apps running in your system tray to get the best results , with antivirus software being the biggest slow down.

Solution