well more like something exploded I plugged in a dell x500 dimension and it
was on the side of the office opened so something must've been wrong with it.
Anyways I think it was the motor. Smoke and coming out of it. yeah the motor.
I thinking I have another motor that I replaced but it's not so so bad like
it would explode. So do you think I should install it or is it overclocking
or it was just a bad motor is why it was sitting there anyways. '
Thanks Daniel
--
attilathehun1

Daniel;
IMMEDIATELY unplug ALL connections to the computer.
Take it to a reputable computer repair shop since this seems beyond the
scope of a newsgroup.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

attilathehun1 wrote:
> well more like something exploded I plugged in a dell x500 dimension
> and it was on the side of the office opened so something must've been
> wrong with it. Anyways I think it was the motor. Smoke and coming out
> of it. yeah the motor. I thinking I have another motor that I
> replaced but it's not so so bad like it would explode. So do you
> think I should install it or is it overclocking or it was just a bad
> motor is why it was sitting there anyways. ' Thanks Daniel

"motor".. Uh huh.
Sounds more like your power supply blew - get a new one.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"attilathehun1" <attilathehun1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> well more like something exploded I plugged in a dell x500 dimension and
> it
> was on the side of the office opened so something must've been wrong with
> it.
> Anyways I think it was the motor. Smoke and coming out of it. yeah the
> motor.
> I thinking I have another motor that I replaced but it's not so so bad
> like
> it would explode. So do you think I should install it or is it
> overclocking
> or it was just a bad motor is why it was sitting there anyways. '
> Thanks Daniel
> --
> attilathehun1

It sounds like you plugged in a computer that someone else had been working
on, since it was open and you weren't the one who opened it.

I'd suggest you talk to whoever was working on the computer, tell them what
you did and what happened, and let them deal with it.

null

attilathehun1 wrote:

> well more like something exploded I plugged in a dell x500 dimension and it
> was on the side of the office opened so something must've been wrong with it.
> Anyways I think it was the motor. Smoke and coming out of it. yeah the motor.
> I thinking I have another motor that I replaced but it's not so so bad like
> it would explode. So do you think I should install it or is it overclocking
> or it was just a bad motor is why it was sitting there anyways. '
> Thanks Daniel

As another poster said, the 'motor' is a power supply, and you blew it.
If you know so little about PCs that you don't know the proper name for
the power supply, you shouldn't even be thinking about touching it -
especially since it was open and unplugged.

Anyway, not only is the power supply dead, but there is a high
likelihood that the motherboard, ram, and/or cpu are fried as well.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

I was also thinking the power supply as the most likely candidate, but
remember there are several motors in a computer.
Cooling fans on video card and CPU.
CD floppy and hard drives also have motors.
Etc.

--

"null" <null@planetzero.com> wrote in message
> attilathehun1 wrote:
>
>> well more like something exploded I plugged in a dell x500 dimension and
>> it was on the side of the office opened so something must've been wrong
>> with it. Anyways I think it was the motor. Smoke and coming out of it.
>> yeah the motor. I thinking I have another motor that I replaced but it's
>> not so so bad like it would explode. So do you think I should install it
>> or is it overclocking or it was just a bad motor is why it was sitting
>> there anyways. '
>> Thanks Daniel
>
> As another poster said, the 'motor' is a power supply, and you blew it. If
> you know so little about PCs that you don't know the proper name for the
> power supply, you shouldn't even be thinking about touching it -
> especially since it was open and unplugged.
>
> Anyway, not only is the power supply dead, but there is a high likelihood
> that the motherboard, ram, and/or cpu are fried as well.
>
> --
> The reader should exercise normal caution and backup the Registry and data
> files regularly, and especially before making any changes to their PC, as
> well as performing regular virus and spyware scans. I am not liable for
> problems or mishaps that occur from the reader using advice posted here.
> No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting of this
> message.

null

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> I was also thinking the power supply as the most likely candidate, but
> remember there are several motors in a computer.
> Cooling fans on video card and CPU.
> CD floppy and hard drives also have motors.
> Etc.

With smoke visibly coming out of it, I'd bet a 100 to 1 that it was the
power supply.

> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>> I was also thinking the power supply as the most likely candidate, but
>> remember there are several motors in a computer.
>> Cooling fans on video card and CPU.
>> CD floppy and hard drives also have motors.
>> Etc.
>>

> With smoke visibly coming out of it, I'd bet a 100 to 1 that it was the
> power supply.

Power supply is a good guess, but if you've got smoke inside, the PS fan is
going to exhaust it. I saw quite a bit of smoke (and stench) when someone
turned on a computer with a new Athlon and no heatsink or fan. And just
about any capacitor can blow, and that could exhaust out the power supply.

So, yeah, power supply is likely, but it could be anything, and since the OP
apparently plugged in a computer that someone else was working on, and fried
something, and doesn't know who was working on it, or what was going on with
it, I'd hesitate to advise them to start doing any sort of repairs.

And considering the OP hasn't posted back, if this was a computer at work,
they may be in deeper dung than just frying a PS.