Jun 10, 2024
Hello,
My specs are:
BIOSTAR B450MH motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x processor
ASUS Radeon RX580 graphics card
2x8 HyperX Fury RAM memories

I decided to switch my CPU, which is the best CPU i can get? (Preferably AMD but Intel is also fine if better than one i have now)

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Hello,
My specs are:

I decided to switch my CPU, which is the best CPU i can get? (Preferably AMD but Intel is also fine if better than one i have now)
Hello and welcome to the Forums!

The best CPU you could get would be AMD Ryzen 9 5950X with your current motherboard, though only if you have BIOS version B45CS311.BSS or later installed - https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=925&data-type=DOWNLOAD .

To check out your current BIOS version go to:
1. Start
2. Type in 'System Information' and hit Enter
3. Check BIOS Version/Date and check its correspondence to the versions in the above link.

If you need to upgrade the BIOS be sure to perform that professionally and that the machine is connected to electricity at all times. This link may be of help - https://www.biostar-europe.com/app/de/support/faq_content.php?S_ID=491 . You just need to click on 'Q1 How to use F12 key to update AMI UEFI BIOS with USB flash (pen) drive?' and follow the steps provided. Do keep in mind that improper flashing of the BIOS could render your system unusable so please proceed with caution or provide to a professional to handle.

You would also need a good cooler for the new CPU. The Ryzen 9 5960X is approximately x2.4 faster than the Ryzen 7 2700X.

If you have any other questions I would be glad to know. Thank you!

Reactions: 35below0

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Hello,
My specs are:

It would be good to provide your current BIOS version here due to the following facts.

If you have the BIOSTAR B450MH rev. 6.0 or rev. 6.3, you'd need the B45CS311.BSS BIOS version or higher to install the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X. If you have the BIOSTAR B450MH rev. 6.4 you would not need a BIOS upgrade to run the new CPU. It all depends upon the revision of the motherboard you have got.

Jun 10, 2024
It would be good to provide your current BIOS version here due to the following facts.

If you have the BIOSTAR B450MH rev. 6.0 or rev. 6.3, you'd need the B45CS311.BSS BIOS version or higher to install the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X. If you have the BIOSTAR B450MH rev. 6.4 you would not need a BIOS upgrade to run the new CPU. It all depends upon the revision of the motherboard you have got.
Actually it says my version of the BIOS is "American Megatrends Inc. 5.14, 02.01.2020", where can i check the revision if you know by any chance? Also is there any other CPUs that are good?

Reactions: jnjnilson6

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Actually it says my version of the BIOS is "American Megatrends Inc. 5.14, 02.01.2020", where can i check the revision if you know by any chance? Also is there any other CPUs that are good?
You can run CPU-Z and go to the Mainboard tab and tell me what it says in there. You can also check out the BIOS version by hitting F12 fast many times right after you turn on the PC to enter the BIOS. If your BIOS is from 2020 I think there will be need for upgrade since the B45CS311 BIOS version (the minimum required to install Ryzen 9 5950X) is from 2022. But you should still check the full BIOS version, if you can.

I would recommend that when you get the CPU you go to a computer store and leave off the BIOS upgrade and the installation of the CPU itself to the professionals. It would probably be safer that way (despite, of course, you should aim for a store with a good reputation).