Question A newly bought WIFI router doesn't recognize WAN connection

blablaalb

Reputable
Sep 29, 2018
I bought a new router MERCUSYS MW301R. I have a fiber internet connection that works just fine when plugged straight into PC and it also worked fine with my previous WIFI router. The new router I bought doesn't seem to recognize the connection. When I connect the internet cable to the WAN port the router reports that the WAN is not connected and the flash bulb indicating WAN connection doesn't flash.
WAN-bulb.png
not-connected.png

I also tried to clone MAC address from my PC to the router, but it didn't make any difference.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you can currently connect an ethernet cable to your PC directly and everything works.... You already have a router somewhere along the line. In a lot of instances, you'll need to put your primary router in 'bridge mode' to proceed without issue. Never heard of a connection not being picked up, but you're in for a world of headaches if you don't bridge the primary (assuming ISP provided?) router.

What are you looking for this router to achieve?
That router is a 300Mbps Wireless N router.... it's pretty dated. If you have any sort of decent internet connection (assuming you do with Fiber), that's a pretty poor choice of router or access point, depending on how you end up configuring it.

blablaalb

Reputable
Sep 29, 2018
If you can currently connect an ethernet cable to your PC directly and everything works.... You already have a router somewhere along the line. In a lot of instances, you'll need to put your primary router in 'bridge mode' to proceed without issue. Never heard of a connection not being picked up, but you're in for a world of headaches if you don't bridge the primary (assuming ISP provided?) router.

What are you looking for this router to achieve?
That router is a 300Mbps Wireless N router.... it's pretty dated. If you have any sort of decent internet connection (assuming you do with Fiber), that's a pretty poor choice of router or access point, depending on how you end up configuring it.
I'm not versed in networking so I'm not sure if there's another router somewhere, but there's no other router in my apartment. After tries and errors I finally got it working, but since this's the cheapest router I could get it's extremely faulty. What I discovered after many tries that it doesn't pick up WAN connection if I have LAN connected at the same time. What I did is first, I connected LAN, entered the web interface of the router, set connection type to Dynamic IP then unplugged the LAN, connected WAN waited few minutes for the router to pick up the connection and then connected the LAN back. The weirdest thing is that if I unplug the router's power cord and re-plug it again the router's configuration is getting lost and I have to repeat all the steps from the beginning. that's what I've got by saving money on wifi router.😒

TRENDING THREADS