A warning!!

Last night I started up FS and after the flight had loaded everything locked
up and a horrendous noise appeared followed by a 'broken' image and then
nothing.
Not one to panic I switched off immediately!
Now the machine had been switched on for some hours previous and the problem
only occurred with FS. I had a Norton Ghost image from the day before so I
restored that; same problem! The other problem was I had consumed rather too
much Stella so I decided to tackle the problem this morning!
All I had done yesterday was removed a SCSI cd-writer and replaced it with
an IDE dvd writer. Now I am pretty careful and experienced with ensuring
cables are 'tidy' but guessed the video card may have been disturbed.
On opening the case I discovered the SCSI ribbon cable had 'kinked' and was
resting nicely on the fan of my Radeon 6800XT! Under normal loads this
obviously didn't present a problem but with FS loading.....
I got lucky but it could have been very expensive!!
So check those cables carefully and then check them again!

Chris

"Chris Curtis" wrote:

> Last night I started up FS and after the flight had loaded everything
> locked up and a horrendous noise appeared followed by a 'broken' image and
> then nothing.
> Not one to panic I switched off immediately!
> Now the machine had been switched on for some hours previous and the
> problem only occurred with FS. I had a Norton Ghost image from the day
> before so I restored that; same problem! The other problem was I had
> consumed rather too much Stella so I decided to tackle the problem this
> morning!
> All I had done yesterday was removed a SCSI cd-writer and replaced it with
> an IDE dvd writer. Now I am pretty careful and experienced with ensuring
> cables are 'tidy' but guessed the video card may have been disturbed.
> On opening the case I discovered the SCSI ribbon cable had 'kinked' and
> was resting nicely on the fan of my Radeon 6800XT! Under normal loads this
> obviously didn't present a problem but with FS loading.....
> I got lucky but it could have been very expensive!!
> So check those cables carefully and then check them again!

I actually don't know what is "Stella", but it would like to taste it!!!

Cheers,
Jan

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 14:36:07 +0100, "Jan Berg" <jan@epost.de> wrote:

>"Chris Curtis" wrote:
>
>> Last night I started up FS and after the flight had loaded everything
>> locked up and a horrendous noise appeared followed by a 'broken' image and
>> then nothing.
>> Not one to panic I switched off immediately!
>> Now the machine had been switched on for some hours previous and the
>> problem only occurred with FS. I had a Norton Ghost image from the day
>> before so I restored that; same problem! The other problem was I had
>> consumed rather too much Stella so I decided to tackle the problem this
>> morning!
>> All I had done yesterday was removed a SCSI cd-writer and replaced it with
>> an IDE dvd writer. Now I am pretty careful and experienced with ensuring
>> cables are 'tidy' but guessed the video card may have been disturbed.
>> On opening the case I discovered the SCSI ribbon cable had 'kinked' and
>> was resting nicely on the fan of my Radeon 6800XT! Under normal loads this
>> obviously didn't present a problem but with FS loading.....
>> I got lucky but it could have been very expensive!!
>> So check those cables carefully and then check them again!
>
>I actually don't know what is "Stella", but it would like to taste it!!!
>
>Cheers,
>Jan

Stella is a Belgian Beer that is sold all over the world. It is a
light Belgium beer, ( I much prefer the darker Belgian Beers), but
many people love it. Stella Artios is the full name for the Beer.

Bob

dallas

"Chris Curtis"
> up and a horrendous noise appeared followed by a 'broken' image and then
> nothing.

The minute you said 'broken' image I knew it was your video card. (been
there, done that)

Dallas

"Jan Berg" <jan@epost.de> wrote in message
> "Chris Curtis" wrote:
>
>> Last night I started up FS and after the flight had loaded everything
>> locked up and a horrendous noise appeared followed by a 'broken' image
>> and then nothing.
>> Not one to panic I switched off immediately!
>> Now the machine had been switched on for some hours previous and the
>> problem only occurred with FS. I had a Norton Ghost image from the day
>> before so I restored that; same problem! The other problem was I had
>> consumed rather too much Stella so I decided to tackle the problem this
>> morning!
>> All I had done yesterday was removed a SCSI cd-writer and replaced it
>> with an IDE dvd writer. Now I am pretty careful and experienced with
>> ensuring cables are 'tidy' but guessed the video card may have been
>> disturbed.
>> On opening the case I discovered the SCSI ribbon cable had 'kinked' and
>> was resting nicely on the fan of my Radeon 6800XT! Under normal loads
>> this obviously didn't present a problem but with FS loading.....
>> I got lucky but it could have been very expensive!!
>> So check those cables carefully and then check them again!
>
> I actually don't know what is "Stella", but it would like to taste it!!!
>
> Cheers,
> Jan

Who knows - Stella might be his wife or partner?
If it is the same Stella I know, she has given me some headaches!

Cheers,
John

"John Ewing" <none@needed> wrote in message

> "Jan Berg" <jan@epost.de> wrote in message
>> "Chris Curtis" wrote:
>>
>>> Last night I started up FS and after the flight had loaded everything
>>> locked up and a horrendous noise appeared followed by a 'broken' image
>>> and then nothing.
>>> Not one to panic I switched off immediately!
>>> Now the machine had been switched on for some hours previous and the
>>> problem only occurred with FS. I had a Norton Ghost image from the day
>>> before so I restored that; same problem! The other problem was I had
>>> consumed rather too much Stella so I decided to tackle the problem this
>>> morning!
>>> All I had done yesterday was removed a SCSI cd-writer and replaced it
>>> with an IDE dvd writer. Now I am pretty careful and experienced with
>>> ensuring cables are 'tidy' but guessed the video card may have been
>>> disturbed.
>>> On opening the case I discovered the SCSI ribbon cable had 'kinked' and
>>> was resting nicely on the fan of my Radeon 6800XT! Under normal loads
>>> this obviously didn't present a problem but with FS loading.....
>>> I got lucky but it could have been very expensive!!
>>> So check those cables carefully and then check them again!
>>
>> I actually don't know what is "Stella", but it would like to taste it!!!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jan
>
> Who knows - Stella might be his wife or partner?
> If it is the same Stella I know, she has given me some headaches!
>
> Cheers,
> John

Her surname is Artois and as John rightly states she is good at providing
headaches particularly if you spend too long in her company!

Chris

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:32:25 +1000, John Ewing wrote:

> If it is the same Stella I know, she has given me some headaches!

I know two of them....and they both have quite a kick!

--

Marcel
(Gear up, AP engaged...hey...what's that emergency light?)

> "Chris Curtis"
>> up and a horrendous noise appeared followed by a 'broken' image and then
>> nothing.
>
> The minute you said 'broken' image I knew it was your video card. (been
> there, done that)
>

> Dallas

And some of the early video cards did that when they overheated. Often more
cooling fixed the problem, but it seems that yours was a terminal illness.

John