Question A1 and B1 DIMM slot not working (B650)

gtsr

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
So, I found out by chance that my A1 and B1 DIMM slot on the motherboard (Asrock B650M Pro RS) don't work. I tried both ram sticks one by one, but neither DIMM works in neither slot (3 beeps: "RAM parity error"). The A2 and B2 slots work (in dual channel), the MB is fairly new and still under warranty.

A game I was testing (Just Cause 3) frequently crashes, and according to my google research it's it's got something to do with the RAM. This is partially confirmed because the last time the game freezed my PC the mainboard let out 3 beeps, this time on A2 and B2, although after rebooting everything returned to work normally (while A1 and B1 never work, no matter what).

Initially I was thinking that I could keep the MB, since I have no intention of ever using 4 DIMM, but now I'm worried that there may be something wrong with it (or could it be the CPU?), what do you think?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include RAM specs.

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to ensure that the installed RAM is both supported and correctly configured. The User Guide will likely refer you to Asrock's website for more up-to-date information.

This motherboard?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B650M Pro RS.pdf

Verify that I found the applicable motherboard User Guide/Manual.

Physically numbered page 25 (Section 2.3) presents some initial information regarding Motherboard RAM.

Also review and double check the User Guide/Manual regarding what you have done thus far.

Hopefully just some error of omission or commission.

Reactions: gtsr

gtsr

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
Hi, thanks for the help. Yes, that's the motherboard. To be more precise, here's the system specs:

CPU Ryzen 5 7600
100-100001015BOX

MB ASRock B650M Pro RS
UEFI BIOS 1.21
90-MXBLP0-A0UAYZ

RAM G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 32GB (2x16) 6000MHz CL30
F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N

SSD M.2 Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB
WDS200T2X0E

GPU nvidia RTX 3060 (12GB)
GV-N3060VISION OC-12GD 2.0

PSU Cooler Master MWE Bronze 550
MPX-5501-ACAAB

OS
Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Build 19045.3693
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

According to the manual, if you have one DIMM you should put in B2, and that boots, I can confirm.
Right now I've left one DIMM but it's in A2, and it also works in normal desktop operations. However, I've tried to execute an extended memory test with Windows' own Memory Diagnostics Tool, I left it all night but in the morning I found it stuck at 21% of the first pass of the test (previously I tried with both DIMMS and I got the same exact result, although I didn't leave it all night in that case.

The ram was configured in EXPO-6000 when I built the PC (3000 Mhz). Right now, after a bit of RAM moving and swapping and motherboard beeping (but I didn't touch the BIOS), according to CPUz the RAM is in JEDEC #6 mode (2400 Mhz).
Maybe it's more stable this way, however, it still got stuck in the memory test, even in this JEDEC#6 mode.

I checked the Memory QVL list of the motherboard and I found out that my specific RAM kit (F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N) is not present.

The closest they've got are these ones:
F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5NR
F5-6000J3040F16GX2-TZ5K
F5-6000J3238F16GX2-RS5K

However, I noticed that the MB BIOS is pretty old. Should I try to update it?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that Cooler Master MWE Bronze 550? History of heavy use for gaming?

The PSU may be at or nearing its' built in EOL (End of Life) and starting to falter and fail. Remember PSUs provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to various system components. It only takes one of those voltages going out of tolerance (for whatever reasons) to cause problems.

That is where I would start. Is it possible for you to obtain another PSU for testing purposes.? More wattage - 650 -700 watts if at all possible. And higher quality as well.

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

= = = =

RAM

As for RAM I would not put much faith in "closest". I would look for explicitly stated support either in the motherboard documentation or on the manufacturer's website.

As others have stated in other posts - unsupported RAM installs/configurations may: 1) work perfectly, 2) work with continual glitches and problems, or 3) simply not work at all.

= = = =

BIOS

I would leave BIOS as is for now. BIOS indeed may need updating but if all has been working to date I would not risk the chance of something else then going astray and the system being completely down.

Sort of a last resort fallback after more is known.

= = = =

GAME

And I would be remiss if I did not ask about the game (Just Cause) being tested. Source? Remember the game itself could be corrupted or buggy in some manner.

Overall: start by swapping in another known working PSU.

Remember that if the swapped in PSU is modular then use only the power cables that come with the PSU.