Zenthar

Distinguished
I would like to know if anyone experienced any conflicts between the default on-board IDE controler of an Asus A7V and it's on-board Promise controller? Since both have the same bus nmber, both ends un with same SRB ans it caused some problems to me.

Thank you

G

Haven't noticed any conflicts and they both work fine.

I have noticed problems with the a7v controller and certain software. For example partition magic. You can run into serious difficulties which will render a drive unaccessible under any windoze os.

THe vendor mentioned that there were problems with this controller (Promise) but not with any other, however I found issues with the high-point controller (i.e. kt7) and partition magic.

As long as you do your partitioning on the standard ide controllers you should be fine. THen you can take the drive off the std ide controllers and hook it back up to the Promise controller.

Zenthar

Distinguished
I'm from the old school, I do all my partitionning with fdisk. I thing it is too easy to screw up things under windows, so I prefer less user friendly environments to work with that kind of stuff. I had no problems at all with fdisk so I guess ew software aren't always better :)

G

Fdisk does seem to work pretty good. But if you play around with it a lot you will see some discrepancies with it. For example if you are deleting a Windows partition, it asks a lot "are you sure" etc. But if you are deleting non-Windows partitions, it just blows them away real fast. So you have to be really careful with using it.

The new software (i.e. Partition Magic) is great because it allows copying of partitions and the resizing of partitions.