Question Accidentally pressed clear cmos button on my ASUS G35CG and now my monitor won't connect upon startup

Jul 17, 2024
I accidentally pressed the clear cmos button on the back of my desktop, and now when my computer boots up there's no signal from my monitor despite it working perfectly before, and I've figured out it's not a monitor issue. I've tried clearing the cmos/bios, restarting my computer several times, held down the power button and clear cmos button for 30 seconds (with and without inputs plugged in), tried taking out the cmos battery and waiting 30 minutes (+ unplugging graphics card and hardrives, as recommended online). Lastly, my bios flash button isn't lighting up, so I don't think I can properly boot my pc with an updated bios via usb stick (which I tried). This happened before once, and that time my monitor randomly started to work, but this time now nothing has fixed it. Should I just go to geeksquad or does anyone have any other ideas to fix it? I've never been unable to fix a troubleshooting issue like this before, I'm completely stumped. Would greatly appreciate any help, thank you.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When clearing the CMOS, disconnect from the wall and outlet, remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secs to drain any residual power, replace the CMOS battery after 30mins.

If that still doesn't work, take a look at this reddit and a few posts down, you should see a link to the BIOS ROM for the board in your prebuilt, use that to go through the BIOS Flashback process.

See if that helps.

Jul 17, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When clearing the CMOS, disconnect from the wall and outlet, remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30secs to drain any residual power, replace the CMOS battery after 30mins.

If that still doesn't work, take a look at this reddit and a few posts down, you should see a link to the BIOS ROM for the board in your prebuilt, use that to go through the BIOS Flashback process.

See if that helps.
Thanks for the tips and quick response. I also just tried to use a flash drive with an updated bios in it to boot up my computer (as shown in the link you sent) but my bios flash button won't light up so I can't tell if it's actually updating from my usb stick or not. I might just have to bring it to geek squad or something, this is crazy.

Jul 17, 2024
I accidentally pressed the clear cmos button on the back of my desktop, and now when my computer boots up there's no signal from my monitor despite it working perfectly before, and I've figured out it's not a monitor issue. I've tried clearing the cmos/bios, restarting my computer several times, held down the power button and clear cmos button for 30 seconds (with and without inputs plugged in), tried taking out the cmos battery and waiting 30 minutes (+ unplugging graphics card and hardrives, as recommended online). Lastly, my bios flash button isn't lighting up, so I don't think I can properly boot my pc with an updated bios via usb stick (which I tried). This happened before once, and that time my monitor randomly started to work, but this time now nothing has fixed it. Should I just go to geeksquad or does anyone have any other ideas to fix it? I've never been unable to fix a troubleshooting issue like this before, I'm completely stumped. Would greatly appreciate any help, thank you.

Jul 17, 2024
Please stick to one thread unless you want spaghetti brains
Sorry, I tried to figure out how to delete my old post but couldn't find it (if it's possible anyways). I wanted to update/re-word some things from my original post because I've been going at this troubleshoot for several hours now.

Last edited:
Have you tried hitting F1 or F2 or any other key when the computer boots? The ASUS Z590 bios in a Strix E motherboard that I have does not show anything on the screen until a key has been hit. This is actually a safety feature to help prevent screen burn in if the computer boots when no one is around to press any keys. (This is also why I personally would never buy a computer with an F processor).

Jul 17, 2024
Have you tried hitting F1 or F2 or any other key when the computer boots? The ASUS Z590 bios in a Strix E motherboard that I have does not show anything on the screen until a key has been hit. This is actually a safety feature to help prevent screen burn in if the computer boots when no one is around to press any keys. (This is also why I personally would never buy a computer with an F processor).
My display just randomly started to work again after the 30th~ reboot.. totally strange but I'm not complaining. thanks for the tip tho! maybe I'll need it next time