Ultra-64

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Hey guys, I know I always come here with my problems but man they never end Lol.

This time around I have a question about wtf to do with my mother in law's crappy pc.
Now the issue here is the PC is running Vista 32bit and has been latched by a crazy virus that is calling itself the "Security Tool" and man it is locking me out
of every thing vital telling Me that for instance My hardware manager is trying to steal my credit card info buy their software 80+ dollars for more anal rape.
Total bs I have no idea how she picked this up well actually I do (carelessness) no savvy what so ever.
SO here I am trying everything besides paying loads of doe for more software to get into this computer and this Virus has me locked out and the Disk drive isnt working properly (will not read discs) and cannot access Drivers for update I am trying also to install XP (for a full reformat fresh install & step down for her system) through a thumb drive or SD no chance there I just keep getting forced into booting Vista.
Theres gotta be a way please help because I wont sleep until this is resolved.

Thank You for Your time, I hope you canb help.

Ultra-64

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

I have solved this problem after trying every other possible alternative, I ended up having to come out of pocket and purchasing a new disc drive for Her PC and the XP install is running smoothly I am also going to throw in a few more gigs of ram & a Video card for her seeing as she was only running with less than 800 megs on Vista!?!?!? (asshole sales reps) and no stand alone card.
This will have her floating smoothly on XP.
Now I can finally get some sleep.

Exactly. Formatting (via a system recovery) would have been the easiest and cheapest option. Acer provides a means of creating recovery media and they usually have a recovery option using a partition on the drive. Installing XP may lead to more headaches than it solves... a lot of new computers make XP drivers harder to find.

Ultra-64

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I found all the drivers for the PC & OS (XP Pro 32bit OEM) and the PC is pretty old actually it was running two 512 MB ddr2
but what I did was replace her disk drive not the hdd I could not access the hdd for a reformat because of the virus (at any point Id try to access any vital file or command the Virus would block me out as a "virus protection program" stating "the following item is trying to steal your credit info buy our product to clean" even clearing the cmos did nothing for me as far as hdd access.

I gave her a spar 8400 gpu and 2 gid of ddr2 ram just for kicks & upgrade ability but xp is running great (lightning fast I might add) and she is more familiar with it, one day maybe after awhile I walk her through the less painful W7 & install it for her.

Feel free to continue adding any useful information as it may help in the future.

Thanks for Your time.