Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Acer Predator Helios 300
Model: N20C3
CPU: Intel Core i7-11800H
Graphics: RTX 3060
RAM: 16GB
Storage: 500GB M.2

The other day, this laptop was suddenly unable to boot past the Windows loading animation. I see the boot Predator logo, the Windows 10 spinning loading dots start up, and after a few seconds, they just freeze. Replacing the drive outright with another running Windows 10 seems to work fine, so I know it's not an issue of the laptop itself. It must be something with that specific installation of Windows 10.

Here's everything I've tried
Automatic Repair (nothing)
Recovery Menu > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options
Startup repair​
Uninstall Updates​
System Restore (not available)​
Command Prompt bootrec (bootrec /RebuildBcd, bootrec /fixMbr, bootrec /fixboot, bootsect /nt60 SYS, bootsect /nt60 ALL)​
Boot USB Windows 10 Update (not available)

I'd like some means of repairing this drive without outright re-installing

Thanks in advance

Jul 10, 2024
Ok, then it should be related to
1. One or more Corrupted/faulty/incorrect driver files
2. Third party software or plug-in
3. A service that runs on boot up causing windows to hang or freeze.
4. Small chance of hardware problem

Jul 10, 2024
You can disconnect any external peripherals-printers/keyboard/mouse/external drives etc, then try to boot. This may narrow it down to external device connections and drivers. May put you a step closer to finding the culprit.

You also mentioned it started the other day. Did you add new hardware or install any new programs or plug-ins around that time?

Last edited:

Adam H

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
You can disconnect any external peripherals-printers/keyboard/mouse/external drives etc, then try to boot. This may narrow it down to external device connections and drivers. May put you a step closer to finding the culprit.

You also mentioned it started the other day. Did you add new hardware or install any new programs or plug-ins around that time?
Everything's been disconnected from the system save for the power cable an the issue remains. I've attempted uninstalling the wifi drivers via Device Manager and reinstalling them from the manufacturer's website, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Is there some elegant solution to narrowing down which driver or startup process might be causing the issue?

Jul 10, 2024
Please follow the steps below...
1. Boot into Safe Mode
2. Type "msconfig" (without quotes) in the search box.
3. Click on "Selective Startup"
4. Untick "Load startup items"
5 Click "Apply" - "OK" then reboot

This will show if a startup item is causing it.
Let me know how u go, cheers