Question Acer ultrawide monitors - how to change aspect ratio?

Jul 29, 2021
Hi there. I don't know where else to find this information except for enthusiast sites like this, hopefully someone have experienced this and can help.

I bought an Acer XV340CKP monitor, fantastic monitor especially for the price. Problem comes when I want to use my consoles on the display, the image is stretched horizontally.

I found the setting to adjust the display scaler, but "Wide Mode" is grayed out as seen in the attached image.

I have scoured the internets looking for answers, but for some reason info on this monitor is few and far in between.

(rant) I then contacted their technical support, I've spent over an hour explaining to the first tech what the problem is, or what even an "aspect radio" is as he calls it. He really has no idea, but he insisted that I should contact Sony because it is a Playstation problem, and refused to escalate my issue despite multiple requests to, reason being that his higher ups are just going to tell me the same thing. Eventually I got to the 2nd level tech, he had said unconvincingly that the scaler doesn't work over HDMI and is for display port only (which doesn't really make sense to me TBH, but okay). We tried just having just 1 display port connected onto the monitor, and the option remains grayed out. He told me that he uses the 1080p version of my monitor, and that the option is grayed but he can switch it anytime.

So here we are, I am hoping that this is something very minor that when I find the solution I'd realize what a dumbass I am. I don't believe that the monitor is defective since everything else works, but nobody (including Acer themselves) can tell me why I am unable to select an option that is clearly there.

Thank you!

the monitor is not defective.
the option would be within the system outputting to the monitor, not the monitor itself.
my ultra-wide can easily do 16:9 aspect ratios but i have to set it inside the OS.
the monitor does not control these settings within it's OSD menu.
same as any LED monitor or TV i've worked with.

computer, console, cable box;
each has it's own resolution & video settings that control the output to any display.

there's a good chance the console just doesn't support 21:9 aspect ratio.
check within the user manual, on Sony forums, and\or through Sony tech support to see what you may be able to do.

Jul 29, 2021
Thank you for your response.

But I think you have misunderstood me. I understand that my PS5 does not support ultrawides, I WANT to have the black bars on the sides instead of a stretched image.

Also, there is an option in my OSD to change it, it is confirmed by the tech that the greyed out option is what changes it. See below link to a screenshot to what I'm talking about. I've used LG ultrawides before too and it was to be adjusted via OSD.

View: https://imgur.com/a/G9jUTIj

I do appreciate your help tho, thank you.

it is confirmed by the tech that the greyed out option is what changes it
what you stated was that they had a 1080p display and that they used this feature for something.
not that they had an ultra-wide that worked this way with a console.
I've used LG ultrawides before too and it was to be adjusted via OSD.
what exactly is the point of using an ultra-wide display with a console that doesn't support it?

if you believe that this is just an issue with this particular monitor you will be disappointed when/if you return it and get a replacement.
computer, console, cable box;
each has it's own resolution & video settings that control the output to any display.
my point here is that there should be an option in the console's settings to change the way the image is broadcast;
original, stretch, full, 16:9, 4:3, auto, ..?

if your monitor would still take these aspect ratios and stretch them even when set correctly,
it may just be a flaw in the monitor's firmware.
unless ACER wants to fix it with an update you may be stuck this way with this model.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021
The tech had a 1080p version of my monitor, meaning 2560x1080. I have a 3440x1440.

The point is so I can use the monitor for both my PC and my game console on the same display for convenience.

I personally don't believe that this is an issue with my particular monitor, but that is what the tech is saying. As I was saying in the original post, I believe it to be something minor that would make me feel like a dumbass if I have it figured out.

No, it is a PS5. There is no aspect ratio adjustments within the console itself, only 1080p, 4k, etc..., automatic or not I've tried changing them all.

The latest firmware available on the website is ver. 1.0, unless if my monitor came with a beta version or something, I would think that I have the latest firmware version already.

Your last point is a good point tho, I haven't yet tried plugging a 4:3 device into it to see how the monitor would react, but I don't think I have such a device with an HDMI out.

Aug 6, 2021
Hey I'm looking at getting this monitor and I was wondering this same thing, if it was compatible with consoles. Did you manage to get the aspect ratio working as it should? Your issue is that the 16:9 picture from the console stretches out to fill the entire monitor right? I'm looking at the manual for the monitor and it does specify that for the Wide Mode you can set it to Full, Aspect or 1:1 so why wouldn't it be possible to change it?

Sep 16, 2021
Hi there. I don't know where else to find this information except for enthusiast sites like this, hopefully someone have experienced this and can help.

I bought an Acer XV340CKP monitor, fantastic monitor especially for the price. Problem comes when I want to use my consoles on the display, the image is stretched horizontally.

I found the setting to adjust the display scaler, but "Wide Mode" is grayed out as seen in the attached image.

I have scoured the internets looking for answers, but for some reason info on this monitor is few and far in between.

(rant) I then contacted their technical support, I've spent over an hour explaining to the first tech what the problem is, or what even an "aspect radio" is as he calls it. He really has no idea, but he insisted that I should contact Sony because it is a Playstation problem, and refused to escalate my issue despite multiple requests to, reason being that his higher ups are just going to tell me the same thing. Eventually I got to the 2nd level tech, he had said unconvincingly that the scaler doesn't work over HDMI and is for display port only (which doesn't really make sense to me TBH, but okay). We tried just having just 1 display port connected onto the monitor, and the option remains grayed out. He told me that he uses the 1080p version of my monitor, and that the option is grayed but he can switch it anytime.

So here we are, I am hoping that this is something very minor that when I find the solution I'd realize what a dumbass I am. I don't believe that the monitor is defective since everything else works, but nobody (including Acer themselves) can tell me why I am unable to select an option that is clearly there.

Thank you!

Hi.
I just bought the same monitor and experienced the same (frustrating) issue.
I was able to solve it by first changing the output resolution on the PS5 to 1080p. After that I returned to the OSD and the setting was no longer grayed out!
I now have the black bars on the sides and everything is scaling perfectly.

Hope you get it working!