Question Active USB 3.0 cable not working

May 26, 2020
Hello together,

I recently bought an active USB 3.0 extension cable to power my Oculus Rift Sensors. (Link)
Now that I tested the cable I found out it wont work. I plugged it into an external power supply but oculus and other software tells me that the device is operating at USB 2.0 speeds.
After some google research I also came across the question of current backflowing into the pc. Is that true? If yes, isnt that dangerous for the mobo? Why are active USB cables built like this?

I hope someone can help me and explain how this works.

Jun 5, 2020
I am having a similar issue but mine is more random and happens more with the extension cable

I am having trouble with my Oculus Rift CV1. I cannot get the 2 sensors and the headset to use USB 3.0. It randomly switches between USB 2 and USB 3 randomly, sometimes disconnecting all together. Sometimes I get a Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed). It is not specific to headset or sensors. It does not seem to be any specific order or specific USB port. I have unplugged my keyboard, mouse and USB hub built into my Dell 4K monitor (where the keyboard is attached ).

Sometimes my mouse and keyboard stop working all together when plugged in. It seems to not have enough power or something, which does not make sense as I have a 1600W power supply. I have tried the sensors plugged straight into the machine and with the following USB extension cables, which I saw on another site who said it worked.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SRYMKLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It have turned off USB power management on each USB hub and controller as well as the power plan for windows.

---------------------------
Rosewill 1600W Modular Gaming Power Supply - HERCULES-1600S
Intel i5 9600K
16 Gb of DDR4 Ram
Geforce GTX 1070 8gb DDR5
asrock z390 extreme4

Thanks.

May 26, 2020
I am having a similar issue but mine is more random and happens more with the extension cable

I am having trouble with my Oculus Rift CV1. I cannot get the 2 sensors and the headset to use USB 3.0. It randomly switches between USB 2 and USB 3 randomly, sometimes disconnecting all together. Sometimes I get a Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed). It is not specific to headset or sensors. It does not seem to be any specific order or specific USB port. I have unplugged my keyboard, mouse and USB hub built into my Dell 4K monitor (where the keyboard is attached ).

Sometimes my mouse and keyboard stop working all together when plugged in. It seems to not have enough power or something, which does not make sense as I have a 1600W power supply. I have tried the sensors plugged straight into the machine and with the following USB extension cables, which I saw on another site who said it worked.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SRYMKLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It have turned off USB power management on each USB hub and controller as well as the power plan for windows.

---------------------------
Rosewill 1600W Modular Gaming Power Supply - HERCULES-1600S
Intel i5 9600K
16 Gb of DDR4 Ram
Geforce GTX 1070 8gb DDR5
asrock z390 extreme4

Thanks.
But does it work now? I also figured out that if I plug it into my USB C port of my mobo(with an adapter) it works without using a external power supply. But that cant be the solution. When I plug it into USB 3 it says its working at USB2 speeds but is capable of 3.0 speeds. And also the max available current is less. So it hast to be a power problem.
Really need help..

Jun 5, 2020
I haven't gotten it to work yet. I havent tried an external power supply / USB hub because it needs to be plugged into the computer to transfer the data and I have heard that those can cause problems.

I got a message from Oculus rift with some tips. Although the only thing I haven't tried is updating the USB drivers manually via Intel and not windows 10 update.

May 26, 2020
I haven't gotten it to work yet. I havent tried an external power supply / USB hub because it needs to be plugged into the computer to transfer the data and I have heard that those can cause problems.

I got a message from Oculus rift with some tips. Although the only thing I haven't tried is updating the USB drivers manually via Intel and not windows 10 update.
Its really weird. I bought a active cable because with long distances it could be that the device wont get enough current to work fullspeed. And now it’s not working because the current obviously isnt enough. Why did I buy such a product then. And its not only with oculus sensors. If I plug in a hard drive it wont work with 3.0 speeds either..

May 26, 2020