[SOLVED] Add raid 1 array to existing non raid 1 ssd boot

Mar 26, 2022
I have in my computer a 1tb ssd for the boot, my editor and a couple of personal files and I'm currently working on a 500gb hdd, but I'd like to upgrade my work storage space while making a raid 1 array so I won't lose my data. How am u supposed to do so? And will I lose my data on any of my two actual drives? I'd like to keep it as that it's the result of countless hours of work.

I have a msi meg z490 unify

Solution
I have in my computer a 1tb ssd for the boot, my editor and a couple of personal files and I'm currently working on a 500gb hdd, but I'd like to upgrade my work storage space while making a raid 1 array so I won't lose my data. How am u supposed to do so? And will I lose my data on any of my two actual drives? I'd like to keep it as that it's the result of countless hours of work.

"upgrade my work storage space while making a raid 1 array so I won't lose my data"

Repeat after me...

RAID 1 is not a backup
RAID 1 is not a backup
RAID 1 is not a backup

With that out of the way, you can't take a drive with data, add a second, turn them into a RAID 1, and keep the original data on the 2 drives.
You...

USAFRet

Titan

"upgrade my work storage space while making a raid 1 array so I won't lose my data"

Repeat after me...

RAID 1 is not a backup
RAID 1 is not a backup
RAID 1 is not a backup

With that out of the way, you can't take a drive with data, add a second, turn them into a RAID 1, and keep the original data on the 2 drives.
You copy that data off to something else, instantiate the RAID 1 with both drives, and copy the data back to the array.

But don't do that.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
You do not need RAID.

For the most part RAID is obsolete except for very special circumstances.

RAID just adds unnecessary complications, adds little or no advantages, and all too likely to go astray.

A good back up plan that regularly saves your data to different locations off the host computer and host network is all that you need.

I'd like to upgrade my work storage space while making a raid 1 array so I won't lose my data. How am u supposed to do so?
Connect additional drives (both should be the same capacity).
Set up RAID1 on them (mirror raid)
Move data from 500GB drive to new RAID.
Done.

Ralston18

Titan
No disagreement.

From the link:

"The use of a RAID 1 under Windows does not provide as much security and performance as a hardware raid in the sense that there is no cache, but it allows to present the volume to another Windows computer and recover directly. "

"Recover directly" being the operative phrase - definitely not insignificant.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS