My new xp pro machine is adding a folder to docs & settings that has name of
user - dot - name of machine. Example: Steve.Office. Why is this happening?
Each time I delete it, it is recreated. How can I stop xp from doing this?
I've not seen it before.

Rip

--
Ripper T Smith
rippertsmith<nospam>@comcast.net

> My new xp pro machine is adding a folder to docs & settings that has
> name of user - dot - name of machine. Example: Steve.Office. Why is
> this happening? Each time I delete it, it is recreated. How can I
> stop xp from doing this? I've not seen it before.

Uhm...
That is your profile.

- Is the machine a member of a domain?
- Do you log into the domain as well as the local machine?

- If the machine is not a member of a domain, is there also a "Steve"
username already there?
- what happens if you rename the "Steve" user to "Steve.old" and then log
off and log on as Steve.

You realize it does not matter much what the path is to the profile...? I
could create a user named "NotMyProfile", then rename the username to
"Shenan" and now I log on/off as "Shenan" but my profile is stored under
"C:\Documents and Settings\NotMyProfile".

Why does the .NameofMachine happen?
Well, could be a corrupt profile, could be the machine is a member of a
domain and/or the "Steve directory already exists. Whatever the reason,
it's creating the Steve.MachineName profile because that is what it needs to
do.

Now - if there is no "Steve" profile alreadiy in existence.. You could erase
the directory again (as a different user of course) and then change the
registry setting for the ProfilePath for Steve and then log on as Steve and
let it create the new profile there..

Start -> RUN -> regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Look for the SID (the really nasty looking number starting with S-1-5
usually) folder that when you select it on the left and look on the right in
the value for "ProfileImagePath" has the value for the user you want to
change. Change that to be the path you want it to be.. and then close
the regedit and reboot.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Let me apologize . . . oops, no grovelling.

I left out the important part: Yes, this user already exists and no, machine
is not a domain member. This is what is confusing me. I created an account
called Steve. Under docs & settings, I have Steve and Steve.OFFICE. If that
is what it "needs to do", then OK, I've just never seen it before, so I was
befuddled. I was just concerned that it would cause me trouble when using
the files and settings transfer wizard. Thanx for the help.

Your smart questions site is a hoot - should be required reading for all
posters. Thanx again!

Rip