[SOLVED] Adding a NAS to my home.

Aug 23, 2021
Hello, I have a question about adding a NAS to my home.
I currently have my Virgin Media router in modem mode and the Asus router I brought is connected to it upstairs.
I want to add a NAS downstairs next to the Virgin Media router, is this a problem, and will it work.

Solution
I currently have my Virgin Media router in modem mode and the Asus router I brought is connected to it upstairs.
I want to add a NAS downstairs next to the Virgin Media router, is this a problem, and will it work.
Since the Virgin media is in modem mode, you can't use it for anything but a connection to the Asus. If you have a second cable between the Virgin Media location and the Asus, you could use that cable, connected to a LAN port on the ASUS for your NAS. Otherwise you will have to have the NAS near the Asus.

kanewolf

Titan
Since the Virgin media is in modem mode, you can't use it for anything but a connection to the Asus. If you have a second cable between the Virgin Media location and the Asus, you could use that cable, connected to a LAN port on the ASUS for your NAS. Otherwise you will have to have the NAS near the Asus.

Solution
The other thing you can do is allow the virgin to be in router mode and the asus to just be an access point and then you could use the ports on the virgin box. Unless you have some special routing needs, the virgin should be more than enough of a router, especially with the asus handling access point duties.

TRENDING THREADS