[SOLVED] After a shutdown, computer always boots to BIOS before launching Windows ?

joeeagle

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
I've been struggling with this for a while now...

My computer has an ASUS B360 TUF GAMING PLUS motherboard and I am running Windows off of an NVMe SSD. With the exception of rare one-off cases when testing numerous solutions I have found online, every time I turn on my computer, it makes me save and exit BIOS before launching Windows.

I have tried almost all of the different boot settings in BIOS, disabling fast boot, etc. and I have tried using a different NVMe slot and disconnecting my hard drive (used for games), but nothing has worked.

Latest version of BIOS and chipset are installed.

Other PC specs:
i5 8600k
GTX 1060 6gb
16 gb RAM 3000 Mhz

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: babayaga97
Solution
every time I turn on my computer, it makes me save and exit BIOS before launching Windows.
Probably BIOS is setup to allow both boot modes (UEFI and legacy).
Wrong mode is tried first, it fails and goes back to BIOS. After you exit, the second boot mode is tried.

First determine current boot mode. You can find int with msinfo32 (BIOS mode is either Legacy or UEFI).
Disable unnecessary boot mode in BIOS. Set up boot priority properly.
every time I turn on my computer, it makes me save and exit BIOS before launching Windows.
Wrong mode is tried first, it fails and goes back to BIOS. After you exit, the second boot mode is tried.

First determine current boot mode. You can find int with msinfo32 (BIOS mode is either Legacy or UEFI).

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

joeeagle

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017

After doing a bit of searching, it seems like the BIOS/motherboard is UEFI only. Windows is in UEFI mode and the motherboard BIOS is called UEFI setup utility. All the rest of the settings are currently at optimized defaults.