After Amazing Earnings, is Apple Invincible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hahaha. Apple HDTV. Surely will be twice as expensive than the once on the market today.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
what's sad is apple's competitors are too feeble to compete with them allowing apple to keep it's prices in the "elite" category. 1000$ for a MBP or 1000$ for a win7 pc with the same specs or better as a $3000 mac pro desktop? i love OSX but i don't want to spend over a thousand on something i can't upgrade cheaply and easily.

G

who were impressed with ipad? its just an ipod made bigger. LOL

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
They said the same thing about IBM in the 70's, Microsoft in the 80's/90's, Hell even Apple was said to be invincible in the 90's... HP, Dell, AOL, they all ebb and flow with the times. Guess it's Apple's time on "gadgets". But until they create something that replaces ever desktop and every server in every two bit company that runs Microsoft/Wintel platform: NoT Invinvible.

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]cheemster[/nom]LOL, Apple and innovation, innovation stopped after the first iPhone.#Samsung Galaxy S2[/citation]

Lol,you say innovation from apple has stopped but then you go on to list a iphone 3 wanna be knockoff.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]..and que the Apple/Iphone haters in 3 .. 2 .. 1 go-[/citation]
... i hate the iPhone 4... it so good... but must resist... must wait til iPhone 5 is out... my contract then ends...

iubyont

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
It's more about increased profits per item sold. Costs have gone way, way down. Compare the costs of PC components and the price of laptops today to the costs and prices 4 years ago. Now compare the prices that Apple sold their laptops, iPods, and desktops. They're still the same price, even though costs have gone way down. It's all about the margins when it comes to Apple. People that buy Apple products can't comprehend that technology is suppose to become cheaper over time even though technology still improves.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Apple is winning because of heavy integration and common appearance/feel between all their devices. Trendiness and appearance will always be important to the masses. And from what I've heard from my colleagues in the software engineering field, their big perk is not having windows and some cool features (track-pad, etc).

ralfthedog

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I think that the primary advantage of OS-X is that it is BSD Unix with a very polished graphic shell. The Advantage to iOS is the trusted application library sold from a trusted store. Almost all of our front end computers are Mac while our servers are all Red Hat.

I do not see Apple releasing an HDTV. I can see them beginning to push their set top box (Apple TV). If you have spent any time using it, you will think it much underrated.

animehair

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I've never bought or been given an apple product in my entire life ... i refuse to pay more for something that is way less.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Wolfgang, I'm sorry, but flawless execution the reason for Apples dominance? No. You say their downfall all hinges on them shooting themselves in the foot once. I think you've forgotten the last two years of Apple products. It comes down to a religious like devotion to their products.

The iphone 4. Well, I think my office mate summed it up best. My office got shut down, we were taking phone interviews while we waited to collect our severance, and I was taking a phone interview on my cellphone, and he looks at me in horror saying "With the reception problems we have, why on earth would you take an interview on your cell phone?" And I just looked at him and said "What reception problems?". He owns an iphone 4. At the time I had some free phone with contract from at&t. Apparently Apple producing a cell phone that can't receive phone calls isn't a mis-step?

OSX 10.6. The operating system that if you had guest accounts enabled, then did an upgrade to it, it would delete your primary account. Yeah. Flawless execution.

The ipad 1, a portable media consumption device that can't be taken outside, because the screen is unreadable in the sun and because it's a giant aluminum box with a glass screen, if exposed to direct sunlight on a hot day, say roughly 70 degrees F, would overheat, activate the thermal protection circuits and refuse to boot....because there was no cooling.

Explain to me how this is a record of flawless execution? What this is, is an extremely forgiving user base.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I think the question here is can apple keep the sales going. They sold a lot of ipads and iphones 4 on verizon. Can apple keep convincing consumers to buy expensive toys during this hard economy? I don't doubt apple will be around a long time give there reserves. I think the iphone 4s/5 will do great, after that i don't think it will.

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Success of Apple in 1 sentence, Sell Stuff 80-110% overpriced, use False Marketing, Stimulate Religion into people's brains, take advantage of the 99% of Idiots who are Apple Customers. The world we live in is full of idiots!

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Apple will be around for some time because the world is absolutely loaded with gullible, and dim witted people. The "herd" loves them. Monkey see, monkey doo...doo!

ralfthedog

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]Wolfgang, I'm sorry, but flawless execution the reason for Apples dominance? No. You say their downfall all hinges on them shooting themselves in the foot once. I think you've forgotten the last two years of Apple products. It comes down to a religious like devotion to their products.The iphone 4. Well, I think my office mate summed it up best. My office got shut down, we were taking phone interviews while we waited to collect our severance, and I was taking a phone interview on my cellphone, and he looks at me in horror saying "With the reception problems we have, why on earth would you take an interview on your cell phone?" And I just looked at him and said "What reception problems?". He owns an iphone 4. At the time I had some free phone with contract from at&t. Apparently Apple producing a cell phone that can't receive phone calls isn't a mis-step?OSX 10.6. The operating system that if you had guest accounts enabled, then did an upgrade to it, it would delete your primary account. Yeah. Flawless execution.The ipad 1, a portable media consumption device that can't be taken outside, because the screen is unreadable in the sun and because it's a giant aluminum box with a glass screen, if exposed to direct sunlight on a hot day, say roughly 70 degrees F, would overheat, activate the thermal protection circuits and refuse to boot....because there was no cooling.Explain to me how this is a record of flawless execution? What this is, is an extremely forgiving user base.[/citation]

1. The iPhone 4 gets very good reception depending on your relation to a cell phone tower (better than most Android, even if you hold it the wrong way). I quite often need to loan my iP4 to people who I work with because they can't get signal. (Again, while the iP4 does get better reception with the same signal strength, it was mostly because of location.)

2. I have no problem reading my screen in direct sunlight. It does not shut down at 70F. I did have it shut down when the temperature was 110, however, it was not just in direct sunlight, it was in a car with the windows rolled up. After I brought it outside and let it cool off, it ran fine. (I was worried I had damaged the battery, however, I have had no loss of battery life. Sometimes You get lucky.)

My company has mostly dumped our Windows computers because we have found, Macs have far fewer problems with software and hardware. We have had far better results using iPhones than other products and we have found the iPad to be one of the most useful products we have. At this point, the only non Apple products we use are our Linux servers. We do have some people who choose to use Microsoft Word on the mac, however, Open Office is our preferred solution.

People tend to exaggerate problems with Apple devices and ignore those on other platforms. If one in 10,000 people have an issue with Apple, it makes headline news on all networks.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]what's sad is apple's competitors are too feeble to compete with them allowing apple to keep it's prices in the "elite" category. 1000$ for a MBP or 1000$ for a win7 pc with the same specs or better as a $3000 mac pro desktop? i love OSX but i don't want to spend over a thousand on something i can't upgrade cheaply and easily.[/citation]
I hope that's a satirical comment, dear god I only hope...

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
The Ipad is not a radically knew product as is mentioned in the article. It's like saying that the model T was a radically new product. The importance of the Model T car was not that it was a new product, cars had been around for decades, the Model T was important because of how Ford manufactured and sold the Model T, which makes it a good comparison for the Ipad. They Ipad was not a new radically knew product. It's design was modified from previous tablets and what really pushed the product so well was Apple and how they presented it. The Ipad is a new product, but it is being over hyped and given over the top grandiose titles that don't fit the reality of the product. That may be good marketing, but I don't believe tech articles should continue to spout such obvious corporate propaganda. It would be best if people were to separate the marketing and the product rather than having them be intertwined.

Status
Not open for further replies.