[SOLVED] AIO Cooler for 10+ years?

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
Would it be bad to use a aio cooler (even if it is a reliable one like corsair) for 10 years or more? I would not have the pc running constantly, only when I am using it for gaming. Also, does it increase the chances of the water coming out if it lasts that long?

Solution
There are basically two sources for failure in an AIO cooler.

1. The pump, being a mechanical device will eventually fail.

2. The cooling fluid will eventually get air into the circuit. Even when new, a bit of air can not be fully excluded.
Over time, air infused into the system through the connection tubes which are a bit permeable.
In time, air bubbles will accumulate. Mostly, this is not a big deal so long as the bubbles do not accumulate in the pump. So long as the pump is mounted lower than part of the radiator, you are ok. And, so long as the air bubbles do not keep fluid from circulating.
Here are two interesting videos on the subject from differing viewpoints. Look at them both:
View...

kanewolf

Titan
Would it be bad to use a aio cooler (even if it is a reliable one like corsair) for 10 years or more? I would not have the pc running constantly, only when I am using it for gaming. Also, does it increase the chances of the water coming out if it lasts that long?
If longevity is the goal, I would stick with a high quality air cooler. Just less to go wrong.

Reactions: Phaaze88
From what I read a good life of an AIO is 4-5 years with some dying before that. I also read that after a few years there will be extra air in the system as the tubing is always slightly permeable but how much depends on the specific model. This air means extra noise and lost performance are possible. I’m currently on my first AIO buts it’s only 1 1/2 years old.

joejackson700

Commendable
Dec 21, 2020
Some of these aio coolers have an amount of hours that they are estimated to last. So if a cooler has a rating of 50,000 to 80,000 hours which some do, that would amount to 6 to 10 years. And if the system were only on a couple hours a day, should't it easily last a very long time?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Even if it's a Corsair the pump will die after about 5 years even if the computer's not running 24/7.

An air cooler will definitely last more, in simple terms it's just a chunk of metal with a fan attached to it.

Feb 14, 2021
And you expect to still be using the same PC in 2031?

How many people are still gaming on a PC that was new in 2011?

tha same gaming pc no. But a lot of people still using the same cooler. For example i was using Phanteks PH-TC14PE for 7 years and still is a beast.

In response to @joejackson700 question i dont believe an AIO can last for more than 5 years.

Is not my intention to turn that into water vs air cooling, but is hard to avoid... Both, air and water cooling has pro and contra. And there's no better or worse: it's all about individual needs and preferences.
Over the years, pluses and minuses of each solution have become pretty clear. And because topic is water cooling, here are some minuses (compared to air cooling):
-one shouldn't expect it will work much longer than about 5 years (even the better ones)
-over the years cooling capability degrades (residue/erosion accumulating inside water block)
-depending on water cooler solution, maintenance is required every year or two,
-if waterblock/pump fails, then there's usually no other choice but buying new cooling system
-water pump can become loud over the time
-is expensive

As water cooling has become such a hype, what can I say... I better keep my mouth shut :)

There are basically two sources for failure in an AIO cooler.

1. The pump, being a mechanical device will eventually fail.

2. The cooling fluid will eventually get air into the circuit. Even when new, a bit of air can not be fully excluded.
Over time, air infused into the system through the connection tubes which are a bit permeable.
In time, air bubbles will accumulate. Mostly, this is not a big deal so long as the bubbles do not accumulate in the pump. So long as the pump is mounted lower than part of the radiator, you are ok. And, so long as the air bubbles do not keep fluid from circulating.
Here are two interesting videos on the subject from differing viewpoints. Look at them both:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwA7ygTJn0

3. While rare, a break in the coolant lines can happen with disastrous consequences o the motherboard and other parts.

Why use an aio?

1. You may want to highly overclock a processor. From an efficiency point of view, that might require a 360 aio in a good case.
240 aio coolers are about as efficient as a good air cooler.

2. If you have a small case with restricted headroom for a cooler, a aio may be the only solution.
You typically need 160mm for a top air cooler.

3. Aesthetics. No accounting for this.

Why use air if you can?

1. Air is usually cheaper.
  2. Air cooler fans are usually quieter.
  3. Air is easier to install.
aio mounting is catch 22. Do you mount the radiator as intake which cools the cpu best, but gives your motherboard and graphics card hot air to work with.
Or, do you mount as exhaust which reduces the cooling ability of the radiator.
4. Air has no mechanical parts to fail. If the fan fails, you still get some cooling until you can replace the fan.
5. Air will never have a catastrophic leak.

Solution

Owterspace

Reputable
Jul 24, 2020
Guys with loops top up every 6 months, how do you top up your AIO? So now you have two things working against you, you have permeation, and pump life. Sure you could probably get a couple of years out of it if you don't beat on it. But the clock is always ticking, not in your favor..