Question AIO pump speed adjustment - safe?

Feb 4, 2024
Hi

I got a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 RGB CPU cooler for my Ryzen 7800X3D. The cooler is otherwise working fine, but it makes subtle rattling noise that is audible since my rig is quite silent. The rattle goes away if I drop AIO pump speed to 90 % from 100 % using Asus Armoury Crate.

The question I have is whether there is any risk of damage to the pump from dropping its speed. Using Bing AI and Google I found some references saying that AIO pump speed should be adjusted if it is connected by a 3-pin connector to the MB (which is the case with my cooler).

The speed drop from 100 % to 90 % lowered RPM of the pump from 2400 to around 2300 but thermals seem unaffected. Since the noise level dropped significantly, I am tempted to run it at 90 % if there is no risk of premature mechanical failure.

Thanks in advance

Solution
"Ideal" solution here may be to find and fix the real cause. However, you have already a practical solution and a note of caution. To answer your question directly, there is NO potential for damage to your system by running the pump at a fixed speed just a bit slower than design. The main impact of this would be that the maximum heat removal capacity of that AIO system will be reduced slightly and this limits the very highest workloads your system can achieve. In fact, even that may not be affected if the AIO system actually has MORE heat removal capacity than your system can use. The other POSSIBLE impact is that you do not know the REAL cause of this, and thus whether or not it MIGHT cause slow long-term damage to anything. For...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
When installed in a board that I can control the pump speed I generally set at 80%. I set the rad fans to follow CPU temp just like they were the CPU fan, as really...they are. This should pose no issue.

If this is a new AIO it really shouldn't be making any noises. Do you have the lines running higher than the pump block to the radiator?

Feb 4, 2024
When installed in a board that I can control the pump speed I generally set at 80%. I set the rad fans to follow CPU temp just like they were the CPU fan, as really...they are. This should pose no issue.

If this is a new AIO it really shouldn't be making any noises. Do you have the lines running higher than the pump block to the radiator?
Yes, the radiator is at the top of my case.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
"Ideal" solution here may be to find and fix the real cause. However, you have already a practical solution and a note of caution. To answer your question directly, there is NO potential for damage to your system by running the pump at a fixed speed just a bit slower than design. The main impact of this would be that the maximum heat removal capacity of that AIO system will be reduced slightly and this limits the very highest workloads your system can achieve. In fact, even that may not be affected if the AIO system actually has MORE heat removal capacity than your system can use. The other POSSIBLE impact is that you do not know the REAL cause of this, and thus whether or not it MIGHT cause slow long-term damage to anything. For example, if the cause is air trapped in the pump causing cavitation, that could cause more rapid wear of the pump over time. We just don't now about this.

Solution
Feb 4, 2024
"Ideal" solution here may be to find and fix the real cause. However, you have already a practical solution and a note of caution. To answer your question directly, there is NO potential for damage to your system by running the pump at a fixed speed just a bit slower than design. The main impact of this would be that the maximum heat removal capacity of that AIO system will be reduced slightly and this limits the very highest workloads your system can achieve. In fact, even that may not be affected if the AIO system actually has MORE heat removal capacity than your system can use. The other POSSIBLE impact is that you do not know the REAL cause of this, and thus whether or not it MIGHT cause slow long-term damage to anything. For example, if the cause is air trapped in the pump causing cavitation, that could cause more rapid wear of the pump over time. We just don't now about this.
Thank you for the answer. There is also occasional rattle from the AIO fans. It goes away if I turn down their speed and appears again at a random point later (not immediately after turning the speed back up). For whatever reason this only appears very randomly, maybe typically after a longer playing session.

RMA could be an option but I just can't be bothered to wait for a week or two without a computer while the retailer examines the AIO. For the time being I guess I will just have to observe whether the symptoms get better or worse. There are still almost two years left in warranty so if the AIO breaks down entirely I can then RMA.

Feb 4, 2024
Thank you for the answer. There is also occasional rattle from the AIO fans. It goes away if I turn down their speed and appears again at a random point later (not immediately after turning the speed back up). For whatever reason this only appears very randomly, maybe typically after a longer playing session.

RMA could be an option but I just can't be bothered to wait for a week or two without a computer while the retailer examines the AIO. For the time being I guess I will just have to observe whether the symptoms get better or worse. There are still almost two years left in warranty so if the AIO breaks down entirely I can then RMA.
After some amount of investigation it appears the fan rattle might be something resonating in the case. Pump rattle is definitely coming right from the pump and seems isolated from the fan rattle.

Feb 4, 2024
That AIO uses Asetek pump that 90% of AIOs have, if it's rattling or making unusual noises I would claim warranty or replace it.
The thing is, specification of the pump says it operates at below 15 db. Since my rig is very quiet, it is possible the rattle does not exceed 15 db at least by a big margin. Therefore there is a risk that the retailer won't RMA it and would wait 2 weeks without the computer for nothing.

The original question regarding safe pump operating speed has been solved, thanks for all the answers!

Reactions: CountMike

Latest posts