Reecej1903

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
I have a cooler master master box lite 3.1 and I have weak components such as a 1050 but I’m thinking of upgrading so would like to get some airflow. Do I just add 2 intake fans to the front? Do you know if I’d need a splitter for the msi b350m? Also should my psu fan be pointing up into the pc or down so its getting air from outside?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The front panel is pretty restrictive, so adding fans would help, but probably not to any great degree.

Normally, with a restrictive front panel, you'd want to be exhausting as much hot air as possible (negative pressure), but in the MBLite3.1, they've closed off the top panel too.... so you're very limited.

The PSU should usually be it's own eco-system. Fan facing down, drawing cool air in for itself, and exhausting out the back. In restricted environments (or when directly on carpet), it could be used as another exhaust, drawing air from inside the case, and exhausting it out the back.

Honestly, if you're thinking of upgrading to more powerful components, I'd consider replacing the case too. You could always test as-is, and add a couple of intakes at the front, but I'd be stunned if it made a significant difference.
Considering there are fairly cheap cases with better airflow, that would be a good route to go, IMO.
Something like the MX330 is <$40, and has decent airflow.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vYp323/cougar-mx330-atx-mid-tower-case-mx330

Reecej1903

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
The front panel is pretty restrictive, so adding fans would help, but probably not to any great degree.

Normally, with a restrictive front panel, you'd want to be exhausting as much hot air as possible (negative pressure), but in the MBLite3.1, they've closed off the top panel too.... so you're very limited.

The PSU should usually be it's own eco-system. Fan facing down, drawing cool air in for itself, and exhausting out the back. In restricted environments (or when directly on carpet), it could be used as another exhaust, drawing air from inside the case, and exhausting it out the back.

Honestly, if you're thinking of upgrading to more powerful components, I'd consider replacing the case too. You could always test as-is, and add a couple of intakes at the front, but I'd be stunned if it made a significant difference.
Considering there are fairly cheap cases with better airflow, that would be a good route to go, IMO.
Something like the MX330 is <$40, and has decent airflow.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vYp323/cougar-mx330-atx-mid-tower-case-mx330
Do you have any recommendations for a matx case? I have a micro atx mobo and feel like there’s too much empty space in a full size atx case