Question Air flow advice please?

Classy666

Commendable
Jul 22, 2021
I just bought my build, but im not satisfied with the temps, all my fans are exaust with no intake fans, i though about this two situations in the picture, please tell me which one is better for my temps.
Should i go with situation 1: switch aio fans to intake on the top of the radiator
or 2: switch the front case fans to intake the air into the build.

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your case? What sort of temps are you getting with your innards? What are your ambient room temps? Make and model of all the fans in your build?

You might want to try and flip the fans that are on the motherboard tray to intake air into the case, see if that helps change your temps for the best.

You've been here with us for a while, you should know that we tend to ask for full system's specs since there are knock off brands out there vying for your money, often times you part ways with your money but you don't get what you paid for(just an FYI).

Reactions: PEnns
please tell me which one is better for my temps.
Should i go with situation
1: switch aio fans to intake on the top of the radiator or
2: switch the front case fans to intake the air into the build.
Option #2 of course. That's the only one making sense.

BTW what model AIO are you using.
I hope it doesn't have pump built into radiator (or you'll kill it).

Reactions: PEnns and Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
CountMikes' explanation is right - this caution pertains particularly when your RAD is mounted in the case top, as OP's is. In that arrangement it is difficult to arrange to have a PUMP that is part of the rad somehow at a low point to prevent trapping an air bubble. If the pump unit is separate from the Rad, there is much more freedom to make a good arrangement.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
Feb 2, 2024
Unfortunately there is so much confusion over cooling, largely due to marketing and popularizers. These people tend to lack any background in physics and as such poor designs are the result, it's really quite funny and sad.
My new system uses nothing more than two front fans sucking air in from front, and two rear exhaust fans, with a plain jane noctua cpu air cooler. despite that my 16core CPU absolutely demolishes benchmarks and sha512 cheksums sitting on 95 degress C.
One of the secrets of air cooling that makes it so efficient is that when high volume and velocity air collides with the metal heatsink it does a very good job of assisting in transferring kinetic energy from the metal particles to air (that is heat). Under benchmarking my CPU cooler is luke warm at room temp. Add in that large volume of air (from 220 case fans) blowing over the mobo and gpu all being directed simple to the rear two 120mm fans makes the case work so well despite me doing pretty much nothing, just buy the case and use it.

Water cooling on the other hand is largely a questionable setup, the water flowing into the block will be at best at ambient temp and as such much of its heat capacity has gone, for water to shine, you need it chilled. add in the fact that fans are limited at removing heat from the radiator (the process isnt as efficient as air blowing on the heatsink), and its no wonder the benchmarks show that water cooled setups only add like a few 100 megahertz more in benchmarking and maybe 5-8fps more in games.

I can't believe how bad some designs out there are, like gpus mounted vertically, fans on bottom and sides. Its just nuts.

Im so proud of my ordinary air cooled system and how much crazy power it has.

Reactions: 35below0
One of advantages of water cooling is larger mass which takes longer to saturate and so prevent temperature surges above throttling or boost lowering temps. Lower delta temperature of water/liquid makes for easier energy transfer, water, specially with additives is better media for heat transfer and at the end radiators have more surface than most air coolers. But.... main bottleneck is heat energy transfer from cores to cooler which in some extent equalize water and air coolers of similar sizes. They will always heat and cool much faster than what coolers can. Ryzen boost algorithms depend on core temperature very much and react in very short time, one of main reasons 3000 series and up are allowed to go up to 90-95c before heat throttling although best boost is achieved at few (5-10c) degrees lower temps. Up to those (core tJmax) temps it really doesn't matter what they are.It being 10c or 80c, same performance.

Classy666

Commendable
Jul 22, 2021
Unfortunately there is so much confusion over cooling, largely due to marketing and popularizers. These people tend to lack any background in physics and as such poor designs are the result, it's really quite funny and sad.
My new system uses nothing more than two front fans sucking air in from front, and two rear exhaust fans, with a plain jane noctua cpu air cooler. despite that my 16core CPU absolutely demolishes benchmarks and sha512 cheksums sitting on 95 degress C.
One of the secrets of air cooling that makes it so efficient is that when high volume and velocity air collides with the metal heatsink it does a very good job of assisting in transferring kinetic energy from the metal particles to air (that is heat). Under benchmarking my CPU cooler is luke warm at room temp. Add in that large volume of air (from 220 case fans) blowing over the mobo and gpu all being directed simple to the rear two 120mm fans makes the case work so well despite me doing pretty much nothing, just buy the case and use it.

Water cooling on the other hand is largely a questionable setup, the water flowing into the block will be at best at ambient temp and as such much of its heat capacity has gone, for water to shine, you need it chilled. add in the fact that fans are limited at removing heat from the radiator (the process isnt as efficient as air blowing on the heatsink), and its no wonder the benchmarks show that water cooled setups only add like a few 100 megahertz more in benchmarking and maybe 5-8fps more in games.

I can't believe how bad some designs out there are, like gpus mounted vertically, fans on bottom and sides. Its just nuts.

Im so proud of my ordinary air cooled system and how much crazy power it has.
I have enough money for aesthetics so why not, thanks for your long comment anyway.

Reactions: CountMike