All Apple Products Forbidden in Bill Gates' Family

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
In other news, the sky is blue (most of the time), birds fly, and fish swim. Is there anything else blatantly obvious that we've left out?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Apple creates markets, Microsoft goes into markets created by someone else, releases inferior products, and uses monopoly power illegally to destroy competition. This isn't opinion, it's backed by law. Microsoft has been punished with it.The first Apples broke new ground. Lisa was the first generally commercially available GUI, so created the market and made it mainstream (with the Mac), despite the fact Xerox invented it. They couldn't get it anywhere. iPhone changed the market. iPad was considered useless until Apple did it right, and then everyone decided there actually was a market for it. Microsoft has destroyed, illegally, products instead. What market did they create? How about Microsoft Bob? That was a nice attempt, huh? They destroyed OS/2, Netscape, 1-2-3, etc... by leveraging monopoly power, not because they had superior products (especially in the case of OS/2). They actually forced PC makers to pay for Windows, even if it wasn't installed on a machine they sold. They keep copying everything Apple does, except they aren't competent so can't compete, and lose badly. Apple is pretentious and overpriced, but at least desirable for some people. Microsoft stuff is just crap, and even priced lower, can't compete. Their old solution was to knock the better company out of business by using monopoly power, but they can't. So they lose. Again and again.[/citation]

Apple creates markets? Nothing they created is original. There were already mp3 players, smartphones and tablets in the world before Apple made them. If you want to claim that they made it "mainstream" and think they deserve praise for that, then you have to concede that Windows made the GUI and PC mainstream even if Apple came up with it first. It certainly wasn't popularized by Apple, but it was made successful by Windows. Your argument is hugely flawed when you consider that alone.

Besides, in my opinion the only market popularized by Apple has been tablets. It was a very small market until now. MP3 players were already big and smartphones were already big due to Blackberry. It was inevitable for those markets to get even bigger and it was though nothing Apple did.

You then go on to claim that Microsoft is oppressive and destroys companies and products. All corporations do this. All of them are driven by greed, even (and perhaps especially) Apple.

Just imagine if MS went under and Apple became the main PC & OS maker. It would be a severely oppressed tech world where everyone would need a license to program, apps need to be approved and you have all of 3 hardware choices when buying a desktop... Not to mention anything you make their platform would be subject to Job's Law of Morality (nothing deemed "inappropriate").

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]makwy2[/nom]Surprising. Not.Also, why is the NYT interviewing Melinda Gates about Apple products? They ought to be focusing on all the work the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation does to help solve common problems plaguing humanity, like Malaria and Diabetes. Instead of focusing on the inane we ought to be talking about the extraordinary![/citation]

I'm understanding more why the media in america have only good things to say about the melinda gates foundation while in europe its a different story (atleast in france).....

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Apple uses windows based servers only. Apple can't depend on their own products when it comes to the enterprise server arena.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]User69[/nom]Apple uses windows based servers only. Apple can't depend on their own products when it comes to the enterprise server arena.[/citation]
If that's true then that is quite amusing...

G

You should have given him an ipod as a thank you gift, and ask what he will do with it!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Apple creates markets, Microsoft goes into markets created by someone else, releases inferior products, and uses monopoly power illegally to destroy competition. This isn't opinion, it's backed by law. Microsoft has been punished with it.[/citation]
So Apple doesn't try to destroy competition? Did you forgot when apple, because of flash, forbid the use of any sdk on the iPhone besides his? Of course when rumors appeared that there were investigation going on that could lead to an anti-trust action they quickly allowed. Also sooner or latter apple will have an anti-trust action on them just like Microsoft and Xerox had in the past.
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]The first Apples broke new ground. Lisa was the first generally commercially available GUI, so created the market and made it mainstream (with the Mac), despite the fact Xerox invented it. They couldn't get it anywhere.[/citation]
So the Lisa was the first commercially computer available with a GUI. What was the Alto and the Star? Prototypes? The market had already been created. Also the Amiga was perhaps the computer of that generation that broke more ground.
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]iPhone changed the market. iPad was considered useless until Apple did it right, and then everyone decided there actually was a market for it.[/citation]
The iPhone didn't changed the market the smartphone industry when the iPhone was introduced was already expanding very quickly. So the market was already there.
The iPad... What about the nokia, pro gear and ton of other products? The market already existed apple reinvigorated the market.

[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]They keep copying everything Apple does, except they aren't competent so can't compete, and lose badly. Apple is pretentious and overpriced, but at least desirable for some people. Microsoft stuff is just crap, and even priced lower, can't compete. Their old solution was to knock the better company out of business by using monopoly power, but they can't. So they lose. Again and again.[/citation]
Could you please just state something that Apple pioneered? I'm not asking for two or three, just one.
If you think that Microsoft copied Apple, that a look at the OS X. The user interface is still basically the one invented by Xerox with the addition of the dock that is an exact copy from the OS Looking Glass from Sun. At least the Windows 7 taskbar looks more original.

G

I dont see the big deal - i am not a windows fabouy nor am i an apple hater - but ive never bought an apple product out of the 50 or so computers products ive built/bought in the past 8 years. I guess i will try one when i think apple makes a good product at the right price. The economics have never been right with apple products - they market their products exclusively to fans.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
[citation][nom]sudeshc[/nom]i have read that before as i remember, it way too old to be a news and waste of time to an article. Off-course Bill and Jobs have there differences and competitors but i think that should remain in market only. i wonder before the release of Zune Bill's kids must have been suffering to have good ipod.Some day when there Kids sit togather and talk about gadgets and softwares what it would be like[/citation] I guess it just shows how arrogant and proud people are.

rsknight

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
This is no surprise, if you own a company you buy the products of your own business, not the competition. When my dad was a manager at Pepsi, he didn't allowd us to drink Coke, though I'm glad he eventually left Pepsi because I like Coke better. The funny thing is that my dad also preffers to drink Coke too! Regarding Apple products, I've never bought anything from them, Apple prodcuts are different just for the sake of being different, no matter if they have to do dumb products just so they are different from the rest.

G

This is a funny story.
I remember when M$ tried to pull its web site off the air and swap it with a M$ system doing web serving.
It failed pathetically of course. ( they tried to shut down there Unix web servers).
I do not know these days if they are still using Unix to face the world from M$. Caon somebody confirm this is still the case?? my curiosity ..

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]bachok83[/nom]Using competitor's products is very risky. You might like some features and before you know it, you would put similar feature in your products (consciously or subconsciously).In summary, lawsuit.[/citation]
I love the snobbery of people who dont have a clue what their talking about...These companies tiptoe consciously around each others patents 24 hours a day. I dont think owning an ipad would make him step on one.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]That makes him a good father.[/citation]

lmfao

+1 but you are already maxxed out :) and again... lol!

hurfburf

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I had the best idea just now. Change your Tom's bookmark to
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/
That way you never see the news section!

Status
Not open for further replies.