Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
3 Drives, 9 tests (last 3 probs best references) of each to show its pretty universal. Any ideas? And yes, the sata drives are on SATA III, as can be seen by the speed surpassing 300MB/s on the sata ssd

View: https://imgur.com/a/ToQL8Q8

The NVME and HDD sometimes perform as they should (in read at any rate), the hdd is even over performing? stumped on that one), but the Crucias MX500 is really lacking in this race. Anyone know the cause and/or a fix?

Here is a reference of someone else benching their (exact same model, quite a performance disparity in writing) nvme drive, and here (ignoring 3rd test result) is someone doing their nvme/ssd/hdd

And just for people still doubting sata connection, here is one from a while ago where it was surpassing 300 (was better still in all regions when first got drive when first got the drive though (feb)), and no I haven't installed anything on the drive since then

Last edited:
Solution
OK, so your post is confusing me, and it could be just me, but I don't think so. These other pics you show are not showing any data to confirm what they have. If you pulled the data from another source to post it, please just post the original source.
As far as SATA drives surpassing 300 MB/s, these people are probably using caching of some sort to inflate their numbers.
Lastly, do not use the ports attached to the AsMedia ASM1061 controller unless you have to, or use them for platters. Asmedia controllers don't have the transfer speeds the AMD controllers do.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to include a little more info. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Latest BIOS for your motherboard? Have you tried working with a different SATA cable? To add, you might also want to include the age of the PSU and if you've manually installed all your chipset/MEI/storage/controller drivers.

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
You might want to include a little more info. List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Latest BIOS for your motherboard? Have you tried working with a different SATA cable? To add, you might also want to include the age of the PSU and if you've manually installed all your chipset/MEI/storage/controller drivers.

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard
ADATA XPG Spectrix D41 3600mhz
The SSD/HDD are named on the bottom row of benchmarks (also have PCIe4 ssd for video editing and the sort, it was performing fine)
RX 5700xt
FocusGold+ 650W - Few Weeks
Is chassis relevant?
Updated Windows 10 Pro to Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Is latest bios, tried different cables same/similar results, did not install drivers manually, used company branded software.

Last edited:
OK, so your post is confusing me, and it could be just me, but I don't think so. These other pics you show are not showing any data to confirm what they have. If you pulled the data from another source to post it, please just post the original source.
As far as SATA drives surpassing 300 MB/s, these people are probably using caching of some sort to inflate their numbers.
Lastly, do not use the ports attached to the AsMedia ASM1061 controller unless you have to, or use them for platters. Asmedia controllers don't have the transfer speeds the AMD controllers do.

Solution

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
These other pics you show are not showing any data to confirm what they have.
The last 3 images in first post, its ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro m.2 nvme, Crucial MX500, WD Blue 7200rpm in that order. Their performances are all whacky, the nvme should be capable of upto 3GBps write and the Crucial closer to 500 (advertised as 560 MB/s Read, 510 MB/s Write)than 200, in some instances the hdd is out performing the ssd.

But I will check those controllers though, may have accidentally put it in the AsMedia controller (think its last 2, that are AsMedia, put my cables in the middle 2)

Last edited:

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Sounds good. Go ahead and do me a favor though, post a pic of just your Crucial MX500 results. I will compare it to mine and we can see if it's off.
So yeah, turns out i did accidentally put them in ports 1 and 2 (not 3 4), its hitting 550 now with ease, on the down side, my hdd isnt detected anymore, so imma just put that 1 back, 190 read speed on a drive only supposed to reach 150 bad anyway

Why on earth there is no mention of AsMedia controllers in the manual, and its hidden on the website is beyond me though.

View: https://imgur.com/a/OMIw5t2

550/470 read/write is far better than 200/200 r/w, thats working more or less normally now

I'll take it with a grain of salt that the nvme is performing as expected, the 256 variant only boasts up-to 1.2 GBps (800-900 is still pretty big performance cut, the read could stand to go up another few hundred also), even though this model was promoted as upto 3GB/s, but did note performance is affected by capacity.

View: https://imgur.com/a/KI2pnyL

Last edited:

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Are you running the latest AMD Chipset software?
1 more with all of them, and ill go install revision 1.9.27.1033 right now

View: https://imgur.com/a/g92iI39

I put the hdd back into sata port 1 (possible port 3 is damaged, wasn't working, didnt bother with trying 5 or 6, removing the gpu then putting the gpu back in over and over was bothersome), because 40 MBps over supposed max isnt a bad thing (or is it) anyway, hdd isnt fast enough to need the chipset controller anyway

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Those number look good to me. I mean, within 10% of the setups you were comparing with, but a very nice jump from where you started!
Updated the chipset... notsure that the nvme went in a positive direction though. But the write did go upto a good level, so there is that.

View: https://imgur.com/a/PeKxvDR

And my platter for the AsMedia I'm now thinking you were referring to HDDs (the platters in them), if so, yes. It seems to work quite decently (190 vs 150 and all).

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
Yeah, sorry. Platter =HDD in my vocab. Everybody wants to call any kind of drive a hard drive, so sometimes we gotta go use a slightly different wording to ensure the difference is understood.
Still, any ideas why the nvme is underperforming quite a bit? New drivers helped the write, but read lacking.

Didnt even think about AsMedia though, call me weird for reading the manual, but there is 0 mention of that controller being use, and its usually on 5-6 in 6 port systems not 1-2, its a little weird :/