All games suddenly choppy and laggy

NipperWinkle

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
I've been playing all of my games fine for as long as I've had this computer. Just recently, all games I try to play are choppy and laggy (including the sound). I have looked at just about every forum post similar to the problem I have but with no avail. I have scanned for viruses with avast- nothing. I have checked my GPU temperature with GPU-Z- normal. I upkeep my computer and it is virtually dust free. I have checked my drivers and it says they are up to date. What do I do? I can't play any games and it is getting unbearable.

Specs:
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
PSU: Corsair CX 500

Also, I don't know if this helps, but just in case...
I brought my computer to my friend's house to download games, because he has far better internet than my lousy 150 kb/s. I have brought my computer to his house many times with no issues. When I returned home, I set up the computer on the flat screen in the living room instead of the normal set-up in my room. On the flat screen is where I first noticed these problems. I tried to play ARK: Survival Evolved, and it was extremely choppy. I thought it was just the TV, so I tried playing Star Wars Battlefront which was the same. Then I tried Fallout 4, which I had been playing fine for weeks, and it was choppy as well. I unhooked my computer from the flat screen and set it back up like I've always had it at my desk. But the issues still continued. One thing is different about my monitor, however. As long as I've had it, there has been a black bar around the edge of the screen. Now, there is no bar and it fills the whole monitor. Thought it was worth mentioning...

DarkVirgo

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Not 100% sure, but I once had a similar problem after installing Fallout 3 through steam. Turns out it defaulted all my games to DirectX 10 and after a quick change things were normal.

NipperWinkle

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

This issue happens with games on Origin too though :/

DarkVirgo

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
A hard disc drive shouldn't be the problem, SSDs only decrease load time, I've tested the same computer with and without and the difference was within the margin of error (1-5fps).

DarkVirgo

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Two problems with what you said, 1.) I'm quite sure you're not a "pro", and 2.) You literally just said you keep game files on your HDD, so other than Windows being faster, what benefit on FPS are you getting?

DarkVirgo

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
The difference would be negligible, and as stated in the original post, this is a recent problem. Unless his hard drive is failing, which is unlikely, there is no reason to point to HDD. Even if his drive were failing he would have other problems besides gaming and would probably hear it grinding or clicking.

NipperWinkle

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

DarkVirgo is right, stop with the "pro gamer" stuff please. No I do not have a SSD, but that doesn't matter. I just built this computer in 2015 so it's not old. The problem has changed, though. Now games start out very laggy, but then change to lag spikes every 5-10 seconds. Not as bad as the original problem but still annoying. I don't know what it did to change though.

Reykice

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
I can confirm that even large and recent games work just as well on a HDD compared to a SSD. How do i know? I installed the same games on both to see how much of a fps increase i get. No increase but oh boy the load times were soooooo much longer especially in stuff like DA:Inquisition. But both the HDD and the SSD had no fps drops on ultra.

DarkVirgo

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
No difference as I said, get lost if you're going to keep spouting your "pro" stuff and spread false information. You're the one who needs to be educated, I'm personally certified and been doing this for years, what about you?

NipperWinkle

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

No, I didn't check the CPU temps... How do I? Any programs?

NipperWinkle

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

Stopppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp grow uppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

NipperWinkle

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

OK, while on the desktop:
CPU= about high 50's degrees F
GPU= about 110 degrees F

While in game:
CPU= about 106 degrees F
GPU=about 130 degrees F

DarkVirgo

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Are you certain those temps are Fahrenheit? My copy gives out Celcius, and if yours does too then both your CPU and GPU are far to hot. If it's running in Fahrenheit however, those temps are normal, if even a tad on the cooler side.

NipperWinkle

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

Yes, it is Fahrenheit. I guess my version gives both Celsius and Fahrenheit. So if not the temperatures, then what is it?

DarkVirgo

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
I'm not entirely sure, we've run through most of the bases, but you could try some bench marking software like 3DMark (There's a demo on Steam) and comparing your scores to those that are normal for a system like yours to try and get an idea if it's hardware related.