Question Almost unplayable Frames on decent pc

Jul 22, 2022
Hi, I have a problem on my pc where I get really low fps and my hardware isn’t even that bad

I average around 30 to 40 fps on valorant which I know should be much higher from videos I’ve seen of YouTube with people with the same hardware as me

My Pc Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
GPU: EVGA 2GB Gtx 760 SC
Memory: 1x8GB Viper Steel 3200mhz (buying another 8gb stick soon)
Storage: Corsair Force 3 480gb SSD and 1tb WD hard drive

If anyone can help pls let me know

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed, that is a big factor in CPU performance. Check your total memory usage while gaming as well. If you have other applications running, turn them off.

What resolution and settings?

I see a video with an R7-1700 and GTX 760 at 1080p all low settings, hitting about 175-200 FPS.

Another bench with an i7-3770k shows 1080p ultra 67 FPS, Low pushing 250 FPS.

So 30-40 with a GTX 760 is not good. Have you checked the GPU clock frequency and temperatures while gaming? The card is old enough to likely need a good clean. Check that the fan is operational. Consider re-doing the thermal paste.

Jul 22, 2022
Agreed, that is a big factor in CPU performance. Check your total memory usage while gaming as well. If you have other applications running, turn them off.

What resolution and settings?

I see a video with an R7-1700 and GTX 760 at 1080p all low settings, hitting about 175-200 FPS.

Another bench with an i7-3770k shows 1080p ultra 67 FPS, Low pushing 250 FPS.

So 30-40 with a GTX 760 is not good. Have you checked the GPU clock frequency and temperatures while gaming? The card is old enough to likely need a good clean. Check that the fan is operational. Consider re-doing the thermal paste.
I usually keep settings all low and the resolution 1080p and I’ve never touched the clock speeds on the gpu also temps while gaming are usually 80c and I have re applied thermal paste less than 2 weeks ago. also thanks for replying!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't say you touched them, I said check them. If the GPU is overheating and throttling, then that would explain the issue. 83C is the typical throttle point for Nvidia, so if it is sitting at 80C, what is the clock frequency? If it is low compared to the advertised base/boost numbers it is throttling.

Same is true for your CPU. Check that it isn't overheating and is still reaching reasonable clock speeds

Try running this https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software
and post a link to your results. Not a perfect tool, but it does get the broad strokes.

Jul 22, 2022
I didn't say you touched them, I said check them. If the GPU is overheating and throttling, then that would explain the issue. 83C is the typical throttle point for Nvidia, so if it is sitting at 80C, what is the clock frequency? If it is low compared to the advertised base/boost numbers it is throttling.

Same is true for your CPU. Check that it isn't overheating and is still reaching reasonable clock speeds

and post a link to your results. Not a perfect tool, but it does get the broad strokes.
sorry for the late response. Heres my user benchmark page

Jul 22, 2022

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/54087758

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You had a lot running when you ran that test, but aside from that it looks normal. You need to get dual channel memory in place to see the most benefit for the CPU. Check what you have running in the background and start trimming.

After that, GPU upgrade. Used prices for GTX1060/GTX1650 and even GTX1660 are quite reasonable.