Question Alternating between base speed and boost speed

Maxinity

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
So I've installed a new cooler on my Ryzen 5 5600 and it's running so cool I've decided to overclock it but I can not figure out how to just overclock the boost speed and leave the base speed alone, for example leaving the base speed at 3.5ghz when I'm not playing games but when I am the CPU will go up to 4.5ghz for the duration of me playing the game

On a side note, does running the CPU at higher than standard clock speeds affect the life span of said CPU?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Long as cpu isn't running hot it'll last a lifetime, or there abouts. CPU turbo is normal and such a thing can't be seperated whilst CPU is working. Doing nothing is a different story and under balanced power plans in Windows will ensure the CPU is in idle state.

Let this shenanigans go, there's nothing wrong letting your CPU do it's thing, and just enjoy it.

Reactions: Maxinity

Maxinity

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Long as cpu isn't running hot it'll last a lifetime, or there abouts. CPU turbo is normal and such a thing can't be seperated whilst CPU is working. Doing nothing is a different story and under balanced power plans in Windows will ensure the CPU is in idle state.

Let this shenanigans go, there's nothing wrong letting your CPU do it's thing, and just enjoy it.
Alright cool thanks, as long as the CPU's life won't be affected I don't mind running it at high speeds.

Thanks for answering, it's so confusing when you read 10 different articles and forums all saying different things