Question Am I using these headphones to the best of their ability (Audio-Technica Ath-M40x Studio)?

Apr 19, 2019
Hey, I know it sounds like a stupid question, but am I using my Audio-Technica Ath-M40x to the best of their ability?

I Have had these headphones for a little bit now and I love them, their sound is great and for only $100 I would recommend them to anyone who wants some great sounding Studio Headphones (The Ath-M50x is better and only $50 extra though). I do wonder if there is anything that I can do to get potentially more out of these headphones, whether it be with a cheap but good sound card (I don't have a high budget for upgrades rn), tuning the properties or an Equalizer with good Presets (I do not know how to use those properly though, I'm new to studio stuff).

If there is anything you know that could help Improve sound quality (not that I need it, just better sound for little to no money because why not), anything cheap or at no cost please suggest in this thread.

D

Deleted member 217926

The M50X is NOT better. The M40X is quite enjoyable. The M50X not so much. It's a decent headphone for monitoring but not very musical and enjoyable.

What are you using for a source?

Apr 19, 2019
The M50X is NOT better. The M40X is quite enjoyable. The M50X not so much. It's a decent headphone for monitoring but not very musical and enjoyable.

What are you using for a source?
I am using a site called rtings ( https://www.rtings.com/headphones ), idk if it was true but since it showed that the M40x was true I believed it, although the website biases ratings for stuff like "Gaming, "Travel", "Exercise" and more to Bluetooth devices and earbuds.

D

Deleted member 217926

By source I meant what are your headphones connected to. :p

I ignore rtings for everything except actual measurements. I even ignore their opinions of those measurements. :)

Apr 19, 2019
Oh I am just using Motherboard Audio ( Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3.1 Rev. ). I have little to no knowledge of actual audio stuff, i just know PC parts so idk what the technical terms are or whatever

Apr 19, 2019
If you these for gaming, that's OK, but if you use them for listening low-bitrate MP3s or online radio - you're wasting them.
I use them for games but i also love to listen to music with them ( Music off of Spotify or Youtube, the usual places )

What sound you like is what you like, no-one can tell you what settings to try that you may like. Issue is not the headphones but your ears and brain. No harm in trying different settings in the audio options and see what you like. No reason to try a real sound card, the onboard is good enough. A sound card may make a difference to you, but may not, really no way to know till you try it. I know lots of people try "upgrades" then think the old setup was better. Monitors, headphones, etc..