Question AMD and nVidia GPU PCs

Apr 21, 2023
I was wondering if anybody had any experience, advice or knowledge on an idea/plan I had for my next PC.

I currently have a prebuilt system with overall decent specs, but the motherboard under volts the components and the bios is locked and no adjustments can be made except on RAM. Now that I know so much more about hardware than I did when I got the PC I am looking to upgrade. My plan was to upgrade to a radeon 6800 xt, but I was wondering if I got a 6700 xt instead and also incorporated my old nVidia 3060 into the build for extra computing to handle captures and other productivity tasks is this viable (I want the radeon card to be the primary card and use the 3060 only for the extra computing where needed)? I plan on putting a linux distro on the new system as the games I play all work with proton. Would this work also with a 1060? My girlfriend has a 1060 in her current setup and I want to make use of both of our old cards in our new builds if possible.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on what you are doing I suppose.

You could use older cards for dedicated video compression and the like for streaming. Deep learning/AI or other non-gaming tasks. But for games you are basically stuck with the single GPU.

It would be something to test, not necessarily end up as the final build. Powerful GPUs already have that stuff built into them, so not using it on one to use another for just a tiny part of its hardware might be silly.

If you are doing something like that, I have seen people use the low power Intel A380 for AV1 encoding.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech