AMD Claims 'Fastest Graphics Card in the World'

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbalizer

Distinguished
how damn huge is that monstrosity.? :heink:
this is going to be interesting, show me some benches and comparisons (when the nVidia competitor comes out)... :kaola:
hahaha :lol: say the nVidia guys...
what will they (nVidia) think of next.? ;)

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting how 6990 and GTX590 will fare against each other. While GPU of GTX580 is technically faster than a GPU in 6980, slapping two 580s together may force NVidia to downclock them more than AMD downclocked 6980s in 6990.

saood06

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
[citation][nom]yyk71200[/nom]Interesting how 6990 and GTX590 will fare against each other. While GPU of GTX580 is technically faster than a GPU in 6980, slapping two 580s together may force NVidia to downclock them more than AMD downclocked 6980s in 6990.[/citation]

i want to see how much they have to downclock it but i sure want to see how this turns out

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]yyk71200[/nom]Interesting how 6990 and GTX590 will fare against each other. While GPU of GTX580 is technically faster than a GPU in 6980, slapping two 580s together may force NVidia to downclock them more than AMD downclocked 6980s in 6990.[/citation]
history shows that nvidia never puts their highest end single gpu cards in their dual gpu card... it'll probably be two gtx 560 ti's in there

[citation][nom]chaosgs[/nom]Handing out any free ones Toms?[/citation]
could you even fit in your case? i know i can't

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]That's just nuts. Too much performance perhaps? It will be interesting to see what a company like ASUS might do when they are allowed to use their own PCBs. Of course, that's probably a few months off.[/citation]

Yes! I want to see the next iteration of the Asus Mars...say 2 6970's mashed together that are not downclocked like the 6990 is. Would I ever buy one? NO WAY! But it's fun to see and laugh at, nonetheless.

batman4u

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
how true is this that AMD reduces image quality? i remember Nvidia 5900 series where acused of this but after this what cards where doing this tricks

batman4u

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I build PCs as a hobby and word goes around my collegues and friends that i usually build around 3 pcs per month since 1998(steady since 2002) and try to be Very Objective with Hardware brands, trying out INTEL, AMD and NVidia or ATI (now AMD)

and from my personal experience...

i have been a loyal ATI customer (personal Builds) since RAGE LT pro (long time) and always compare every game i actually have while i change VGA and no games between cards made a diference except between Hd series all the way to HD4000 where the 2000 looked on CRYSIS horrible and bought a 3870 where image was better but could not see a relevance, but when i saw the HD4890 quality WOOOOO everything changed to a eyecandy picture and HD5000 and HD6000 series was basically the same

i do have to point out that X800 cards even though had no SHader 3.0 after Quake 4 a driver update came out which made shader 3.0 emulation very close to what Nvidia had on the 6800 but not that good but still was bareable to play

and the Direct X9.0 24bit advantage was intelligent and not cheat

kurahk7

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
As for system requirements, the new AMD graphics card needs a PCI Express based PC with one x16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard and a minimum 1 GG of memory.
1 GG of memory?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]It's amazing what you can do when you're willing to completely disregard noise and heat.[/citation]

NVIDIA 480 anyone?... lol

welshmousepk

Distinguished
God i hate fanboys.

this card is great, but i don't want one. to hot, too loud. I'll pobably get a second 6850 for crossfire, and eventually upgrade to a 6950 or GTX 570 multi GPU setup. but this single card goes beyond the limits for me.

G

andy: great animated GIF, it'd be helpful if they weren't zoomed-in all to hell, and if the foliage was the same in both pictures. The fact that you have to show such a zoomed-in picture to tell the difference means that you couldn't tell the difference at 0% zoom. AMD does not have any sort of image quality problems, and most people would prefer playable framerates on their particular card rather than "pristine, no-cheating AA".

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
andy: great animated GIF, it'd be helpful if they weren't zoomed-in all to hell, and if the foliage was the same in both pictures. The fact that you have to show such a zoomed-in picture to tell the difference means that you couldn't tell the difference at 0% zoom. AMD does not have any sort of image quality problems, and most people would prefer playable framerates on their particular card rather than "pristine, no-cheating AA".
Fist off, this is the picture from TOM instead of me!

Second, You AMD fanboys got nothing but trolling skills left after I showed you how wrong you are by providing proofs!

Third, many peoples are called Andy and it's not my real name anyway. What do you gain by registering a new nick called "andys_dad"?
All you gained is a childish kid badge.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
With the ability to upgrade the firmware on the $250- 6950 to 6970 and put into crossfire for $200 less than the 6990 AMD really goofed that one up. Good for the consumer, bad for AMD. The performance most likely to be better with crossfire 6950's to 6970's! (On most PC games)

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Show me a picture that is notoriously ATI friendly/Nvidia unfriendly, can you? No, you can't even find one. Why? Because image quality on all games are better or equally good with nVidia and all of them are called nVidia friendly by you AMD fanboys.

MLAA is better? Just read the Anandtech reiview on AMD 6xxx's AA provided by me.

Yes, you can increase AMD's image quality. HOWEVER, YOU WILL GET MUCH LESS FPS AFTER YOU DO SO! That's why it's called a cheat move.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Message Deleted
Useless insulting post! You are reported to mod, troll.

I suggest TOM not letting accounts with less than 500 points comment on any article, because most of these accounts were obviously created for trolling!

guyjones

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
And it consumes enough electricity to power a third-world village, LOL...

Really, kudos to AMD for the benchmarks, but the power consumption on these cards is getting ridiculous. Not that I'd ever buy this beast for gaming, as I can get by with a single monitor, but it seems as though CPU's are getting more powerful and power stingy, while graphics cards are headed in the opposite direction, becoming more powerful yet more power consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.