AMD Confirms it Co-Designed Xbox One APU

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

i wouldn't say so. i mean i agree intel's high end CPU's are quite powerful compared to AMD's but they are a good option for budget oriented builders.

Dnaangel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
This is really going to blur the line between PC gaming and Console gaming. More so then the current gen. I have built several PCs now with the best APU on the market, I can say I was not impressed in the least bit. Gotta keep the console prices down, I get that.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
A GPU memory architecture is typically high bandwidth and high latency, while a CPU memory architecture is lower bandwidth, but lower latency as well. It looks like Sony went with a GPU architecture, while MSFT went with a CPU memory architecture augmented by an eSRAM cache to help alleviate the bandwidth issues.
What might be more important for both - especially the MSFT solution - is that because CPU and GPU share the same RAM there is no need to load or migrate textures or models. That will help reduce the impact of the bandwidth problem in the MSFT solution. I don't know if Sony has planned a large L2 or L3 cache to reduce the impact of latency issues.
All of that said, I wish MSFT had gone with the same beefier iGPU that Sony decided to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS