AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 159 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Splendid

Its not like Amd's perfect, with basically lying in marketing.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

that would be a bit comical considering they released the new "roadmap" just yesterday with kaveri on there for 2013. http://techreport.com/news/24883/amd-roadmap-suggests-kaveri-apus-will-use-new-fm2-socket

he probably was talking "next year" meaning thats all thats coming in 2014. I don't expect to see any excavator APU till at the earliest, late late 2014, so next year is the year of kaveri APU. Im expecting a slow to limited release in 2013 due to 28nm transition, it always is buggy or low yield at first, esp if its GF.

I don't expect FM2+ to be much more than gddr5 support option.

BTW hcl123, don't forget the ever lasting ... "your just a conspiracy theorist, there is no proof, therefore its a lie." That one always cracks me up.

Personally im not sure who is worse tho, Apple or Intel. Apple is abusing the patent system to block competition, Intel just used their own money instead of the governments. I can at least have a tiny bit if respect for Intel for that aspect.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Atleastfor the last 2-3 years, his rumours have been spot on, and usually several months before anyone else has a clue about it. He bases his rumours on inside leaks (moles) and technical + financial prediction.

I'm not judging, but i stand in complete awe ! ... who in their right mind would buy a rumor! ... and i though IT was about *science* not rumors.
He is already making large amount of money from this model, and most paying members are part of a tech company....

If that proves to be a consistent business model, then everything is lost, because the parties with the most cloth and manipulative power, by rumor, intrigue and deception will end up winning *EVERYTHING*...

This already happens now.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
A bit off topic, but funny news. MS lost the Start battle.

PCs today are evolving for a world of mobile computing where people interact with their devices through touch, and we designed Windows 8 for this. But we also recognize there are many non-touch devices in use today – especially in the commercial setting. As such we’ve focused on a number of improvements to ensure easier navigation for people using a mouse and keyboard.

http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/30/continuing-the-windows-8-vision-with-windows-8-1.aspx

Return of the start button may convince OEMs to start adding more windows 8.1 machines, end users ... will still be skeptical at best.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Possibly, but PD saw a sizable TDP change from BD as well. CPUs have like 12 layers of metal now. They're small 3D jigsaw puzzles. There's always ways to tweak the layout.

Maybe some P states were broken or more were added like for 7790. That would have to be listed in the errata for the part.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

No.

Its the SOI process alright, that was revamped. Actually attending that die shot of SR, i'm convinced that BDver1 was not truly 32nm SOI, but an hybrid of 45nm, since SR packs a lot of double structures by that die shot, yet the "module" manages to be even a little smaller(making good faith on the images).

Just consider that 32nm SOI, which by this proves is better than 22 nm bulk finfet of Intel for high performance, is the process used by IBM to put a "commercial" 600mm² chip at 5.5Ghz ( no not typos 600mm² and 5.5Ghz).

That is something that Charlei of S|A will never admit

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=151814&postcount=24
Let me repeat myself one more time.

THERE IS NO SOI UNDER 28nm FROM ANYONE, PERIOD.

If anyone is unclear, please ask again, so I can get annoyed.

-Charlie

FD-SOI ARM-based SmartPhone Chip Hitting 3GHz in Barcelona – But Wait: It’s the Low Active Standby Power (0.6V for 1GHz) That’s Really Amazing!
http://www.advancedsubstratenews.com/2013/02/fd-soi-arm-based-smartphone-chip-hitting-3ghz-in-barcelona-but-wait-its-the-low-active-standby-power-0-6v-for-1ghz-thats-really-amazing/

LOL

About the so called "temperature" oriented turbo, all it takes is a serious look at official AMD slides, Trinity already had that
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-announces-new-A-Series-APU-codenamed-Richland.89691.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/8_01.png

Perhaps there has been a lot of money for the take to whitewash intel finfet process, and now everybody parrots that intel has the best process, when its AMAZINGLY EVIDENT that is not truth, neither for high performance where 32 PD-SOI rules, neither for low power where STMicro 28nm FD-SOI is absolute king...

A REAL SECRET lost in the UNMEANING benchmarks is ;
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i5_3570k_review.html
Performance wise Ivy Bridge series never did stun and shock like the Sandy Bridge series did once they where introduced. In fact clock for clock it is all roughly the very same, with a +0.8% performance offset in favor of Ivy Bridge.

And is worst than that, because IB has many issues with "hot spots" so tends to OC worst.

So much for the great finfet mantra!...

[EDIT: a great conclusion that we can take of all this, is that intel never fails, even when it fails in the most miserable way ]

[EDIT2: how did i come out with all this!?... just look the links, i'm not in a "campaign", just started to avoid the sites that many now suspect of biasing... far better than entering in pointless bickering]

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

I hope my previous post just shatters that myth about long before time infallibility of S|A... and people now more and more in several places take issues with possible(and evident) biasing on charts and numbers, but want to force themselves in the same mistakes over and over... if so why wouldn't they even try to be worst and flat out deceive ?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

thanks everyine for your suggtestions :)
i will try them all (puppy linux, ubuntu 13.04, mint, centos, mageia)

Question: Wouldn't you then be complaining that AMD is being hurt because they decided to shift their focus away from X87 processing?

Power7 based, which is an architecture that is designed to scale in clock. Can't compare architectures on clock alone.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Originally, there was speculation Richland would have GCN, it has since been shown that it does not...however, it does boast dramatically improved graphics.

Kaveri, on the other hand, will be GCN.

the interview guy asked if its GCN and he agreed.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

That is a side issue... x87 has very few uses now, lest of all in the context of "client/desktop" systems.

I think you ask about superpi right ?... meaningless on top of meaningless. Yet the worst meaningless is that superpi blob has no md5 signature, you can't even have any assurance its the superpi real superpi (very easy to fake what it does), so 2 tests of superpi, can be 2 tests of 2 different things.

This is the most generalized sad part of this story.

Right. But you can have a very serious perspective about the worth of a fab process with the clock. And in here we are talking about high performance high clocks were power is a secondary issue... like with GPUs.

And its not Power uarch, is Z uarch, which is a speed daemon uarch resembling intel P4 in some aspects ( what for some is no good for others can be marvelous)

http://www.hotchips.org/wp-content/uploads/hc_archives/hc24/HC24-9-Big-Iron/HC24.29.930-zNext-Shum-IBM.pdf

Which leads to suspect... again IT is full of propaganda and myths... the worst failure of P4 was not the design, was the fab process, and the design felt strongly those restraints (Prescott would never had to be, or a very different Prescott would had been possible, if intel had chosen SOI for fab).

But this already lost context in time alright, you can say its a supposition of mine, but i feel very positively about it.(edit)

heh, seems like xbitlabs link that i read and posted 'creatively modified' the leaked slides. :whistle: others posted uncropped images. if i am to believe that, then kaveri is on track for 2013 release while steamroller opterons are gone (i.e. zero number of sr cpu). +NaCl

@richland: i can remember as far back as early trinity-rumors and roadmaps where 'richland' was shown as the codename for low end trinity a4 apus. >_> that was before multiple speculations (no 'leaks') of richland having pd cores with gcn igpu.... which settled on rl being trinity 1.05.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Opterons were pushed back in favor of getting the Opteron-X project on the ground as quickly as possible is what occurred as near as I can tell from the information coming out of AMD these days...(i.e. not much). Though, bright side of news stated that they suspected that opterons based on steamroller were not going to be this year when the slide was first leaked. The presentation itself was about opterons, but their take on it was that the technology of steamroller cores would be out in 2013, not necessarily opterons with them. Additionally, they commented that Kaveri may have some server use, and speculated that may be the other part of it that could be coming into play. SoC Opteron SKUs.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

AMD, VIA, and Nvidia already abandoned BAPCO because of Sysmark bias. Cinebench is propietary.

Precisely, my main argument was not to trust review sites that use biased benchmarks.

see, it's not that hard to do. what i was proposing was that amd should do something similar with cinebench. so what if it's proprietary? that's not the issue here. amd should tell people how cinebench skews bench results (tell in a discreet way), not ask maxon to change code or compiling process or anything else.

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Off topic:
For all those who wish they could overclock the haswell i3's with bclk... (if intel do the same with th i3 as the i5-i7 that is...) :

"That’d all be well and good if Intel was enabling this new level of flexibility for the folks who don’t spend extra on K-series parts, giving them the ability to pick higher BCLK settings without access to the ratio multiplier. However, the company instead chooses to restrict the ratios to the Core i7-4770K and i5-4670K—the same ones you can already overclock in 100 MHz increments. Anyone buying one of the 11 other SKUs in Intel’s new Core i7 and i5 line-up is out of luck."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-10.html

Status
Not open for further replies.