AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 191 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Splendid

No they did not they said 15% IPC AND Power efficiency or TDP.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

Last time I looked at official AMD statements there was no confirmed news that Steamroller will use SB1050. To say that Steamroller will use SB1050 is speculation at best. In fact I highly doubt that AMD will bother with a motherboard upgrade to SB1050 at all.

1. Asus works very closely with AMD and Intel and produces the best motherboards available for both brands. Asus just released the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0/Gen3 motherboard. The only difference between the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and the Gen 3 is the Gen 3 has PCI-Express 3.0. Right now video cards still aren't tapping out PCI-Express 2.0, so that was the upgrade for the future. I'm sure if AMD was planning on releasing SB1050 with Steamroller Asus would have held off on the Gen 3 to include SB1050 support.

2. AMD has already confirmed that Steamroller will end the FX line of processors. After Steamroller FX all AMD is going to be unified going forward with FM2, FM3 APUs. There will still be an enthusiast level of the FM2, FM3 APUs I'm sure, and they may even have FX somewhere in their naming, but the true FX AM3+ processor line is ending. I can't see AMD pushing out a new motherboard (1050FX SB1050, 990FX SB1050, ect) for a product line they are ending. The only way I can see a 1050FX SB1050 type board is if AMD decided to continue the FX line and releases AM4 for the next series of Steamroller, going into Excavator.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

This is getting way, way off topic. This thread isn't "look how wonderful Haswell is, and bask in its Intel goodness". I'm sure there are lots of threads out there for that. This thread is AMD Steamroller speculation, the only way Hasfail figures into this thread is AMD doesn't have too far to improve to catch up to Intel because of Hasfail's shortcomings. No matter how you try to justify Hasfail to yourself or any other mindless Intel drone, it didn't deliver on its promises, it isn't a huge leap forward even for laptop only users, and enthusiasts would be much better sticking with Ivy Bridge which overclocks much better with fewer problems.

Hasfail may look better in laptop configurations than Ivy Bridge did, however what little improvement Intel may have made for laptops won't be looking so good after Kaveri laptops become available. If your looking for someone to stroke your mindless Intel drone ego, this isn't the place for it.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

+1 The 1090FX board, I knew 1050FX didn't seem right. I remember reading that AMD would be releasing 1090FX SB1090 motherboards a long time ago, and then it just vanished. AMD internally cancelling certain cpus along with the 1090FX seems to fit the bill perfectly.

At any rate, when Steamroller FX releases AMD will be wanting to showcase the processors "horsepower", however they will be focusing much more on FM2 Kaveri APUs and FM3 next gen Kaveri going into Excavator. I don't see them spending the time and effort to release a chipset update for the AM3+ board which in at the end of its long service. Really with as good as the Sabertooth 990FX boards are they don't have to upgrade the chipset to showcase Steamroller FX:D

8350rocks

Distinguished
Sapphire shows a proof of concept MB for trinity to use in digital signage...(look out VIA)

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/18/sapphire-shows-multidisplay-board-computex/

New AMD server roadmap:

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/17/amd-announces-seattle-berlin-and-warsaw-for-servers/

Commentary about the digital signage software...(and 18 display setup):

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/13/sapphire-shows-18-screen-demo-in-computex/

Radeon HD 8670D (Richland top end iGPU) reviewed:

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/05/amds-radeon-hd-8670d-a-review/

EDIT: This is older, but worth reading...Intel intends to shut out GPUs in it's hardware using Intel only graphics in the near future:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/12/18/how-intel-can-slam-the-door-on-gpus/

You have compared a quad core to a octocore that is also clocked higher and based it on efficiency. Ruling out core performance it is quite obvious a higher clocked, higher core count chip will consume more power than a quad core. What you are doing is comparing a apple to an orange and wondering why there is a difference. Clocking a IB or HW up to 4.4Ghz alone will drive total wattage up by 50-60w, so for that power is distorted in that despite 8 Threads it only has 4 cores to power compared to the 8 on the FX8350.

SB1050 relates to SB chipset like most AM3+ run the SB950, even if SR has the same pin count there will nevertheless be optimised benefits to a SR running off a tailored chipset.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

This has been my bet as well. Could you provide a link with AMD confirming that?

P.S.: Don't feed the Hasfail troll.

8350rocks

Distinguished

If steamroller gains quite a bit of market share, I would be willing to bet we see that idea pared back and they continue supporting the FX series. Though what happens there is going to be anyone's guess.

It is likely going to happen, by after Kaveri, AMD could be sporting 8860-ish GPUs in their A8 and A10 APUs.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

You should be questioning the meaning of your life if you're here to make money for pro-Intel posts as part of Intel PIE or something. They pay, what? $.10USD per post? Is it really worth it?

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

[Citation needed]

I thought that AMD was riding out the remaining life in AM3+ up to Excavator CPUs. Look at what they're doing with the Centurion chips. AMD recognizes that there is still a market for bragging rights CPUs just as Intel with their extreme series. 990FX is a tired, old chipset and I wouldn't be surprised to see one last refresh for AM3+ before they finally take it out to the barn and shoot it.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

That was a slide quite before the HotChip2012 presentation. There they claimed 30% ops per cycle, which can be translated directly as IPC, being the only caveat they included in the "simulation" "visual computing, meaning FP counts, while IPC in the traditional sense only integer counts.

8350rocks

Distinguished

:rofl:

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Where ? AFAIK none official statement was made, its less than 2 years before re-intoduction, FX beats all OC records, its the best chip for the enthusiast world by far. Why should they end it ?

From the last link:

"In the end, Intel is simply shutting the door on discrete GPUs by moving the low bar higher with their integrated performance, the high bar lower with PCIe limits, and offering their own solution in the middle. Broadwell will start the squeeze on mobile CPUs, and you can be sure that mainstream desktops won’t be far behind. Essentially the window on what a discrete GPU can do when connected to an Intel CPU will narrow with each successive generation."

That part is really... Scary.

Can AMD leverage performance so that Intel actually gives a damn about enthusiasts? Ugh...

Cheers!

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

IBV motherboard - Intel dz77ga-70k ... has a 6-phase VRM, not great at all compared to a high end board from msi.
HW motherboard - MSI z87 g45 comes with a 16 phase initial vrm

so you found one review that had the 3770k at a higher power draw than HW ... what about the other 20+ that say just the opposite. Think there might be a reason for that or is that one review the only one that matters? The truth is HW pulls more power at full cpu load, period. The HW built in VRM is only 82% efficient. motherboards are up to 95%. this means the faster you go, the worse it gets. Hasbeen is not this greatest thing ever created. Its great of ULP but that 82% efficiency sucks at DT speeds, taking it from the lowest idle power (wich no one is arguing since thats what it was designed for) to a higher load power, and even higher overclocked.

power-3.png

power.png

but we are all fanboys ... your the one saying HW is the best thing ever.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Delusional? Lol, you're the one talking about power savings for desktop users. Don't get me wrong, What Intel is doing with Quad Cores and power consumption is incredible. But it doesn't relate to me because I'm a desktop user. Aka, Power user. Also, watch this yo! (This'll piss most of you un-biased guys off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8p9rSwc_uQ

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

I can agree, wishful thinking will solve nothing of today's problems, please stay on topic to what I was talking about, and answer my questions.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Lol, your funny. This can't completely prove anything. Give me another video doing the same but the the AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU, and Intel CPU and AMD GPU. The reason that these are "bias" are because that AMD has technology that can use the CPU and GPU more in conjunction with each other. Another this is, how do we know that the 660 Ti isn't under clocked and that the 7950 isn't over clocked? Food for thought.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

If Windows were as smart as Linux, I would think it wouldn't be as user friendly, meaning most people might switch to apple, even the gamers. About 70% of the population (of computer users), is either a gamer, or an everyday user. If that user friendly service is taken away from people, where will they go? Probably apple, if they don't change (which they probably wont).

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
60-70% ? doesn't compute. Try it with a radeon, and it can be better for sure.

Nvidia on an AMD platform... ummm doesn't spell anything good, if not intentionally cripple, doubt nvidias does any tiny bit of *driver* optimization for its archirival ... sometimes what we can't see is what delude us.

Why SuperPI (kind of useless in any case) have disappeared from reviews !?
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?286448-The-Book-of-Bulldozer-Revelations-Episode-2-%28SuperPI-x87%29

The software / hardware interactions have more than meets the eye, or the benchmark lol (imagine a BD winning lol ->see that thread)

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

That would be wonderful... but not the stupid borged intel way. That is, keep the same power and so improve performance by 60% lol

With DVFS (dynamic voltage and frequency scaling) i think power shouldn't sell anymore, most of times a desktop/client system idling.

So the ratings are borged. The becnhmarks are borged, forcing the artificially crippled to waste more. Those power measurements done by software is super-borged, measure with precision instrumentation the all system power from the wall, tells nothing of the CPU/processor.

Yes Intel is clearly better at power, it has a chipset tailored for that (hasfail), it has a fab process tailored for that, and it has the best DVFS of all... but who really cares that much, passing a certain point it doesn't matter anymore, and if you OC you don't mind for sure... even Intel"processores" can waste 300W when running a very intensive game, even with all that DVFS and tricks.

( you can be sure, power is "load" dependent... but can you appreciate the difs, 84w to 300w ?)

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

You dont HAVE to use their drivers. People do tests with opposite drivers, and even play like that, all the time.

Also hardware differences are a major factor. The difference between your GTX 670 and 680, is that they use the exact same hardware yes, but the 670 has hardware that very slightly failed. Each model number down is a GPU processor that had failed more. For example: you know how each model down has (for the most part) less CUDA cores? That because more of the CUDA cores have failed (and other parts of the hardware), meaning originally there are always X Physical CUDA cores, but not all are usable as they have failed, so they put that in a certain model.

You can compare it to how the iPod gen 2 build had a slot for a forward facing Camera, but there was none there. The hardware is there, but not all is usable.

You always have to install drivers anyway dude, especially if you build your own. Other than that, the CPU differences wont very well matter on games that are more GPU based, which most games are.

Status
Not open for further replies.