AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 192 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Maybe you should go back to school buddy.

Yes Intel does run somewhat more power when on load, but yes of course, power is load dependent. You don't expect a 120 watt bulb to light up efficiently in a 20 watt socket? I think not. I agree that a rig will idle a lot, however, when idling, Intel does bring in less power draw than AMD, which in the long run, you are saving money if you leave your computer on, which in turn is used when you use the pc, so it evens out.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I was looking forward to a Steamroller FX as well (6C actually not 8), but if you read between the lines of the latest roadmaps that is unlikely to happen. AMD has switched gears almost entirely to APU/SoC.

The server roadmap shows no new high end cores all through 2014. If there were a Steamroller FX there would at least be a 1P Server chip with 8 Steamroller cores. This is not listed at all.

Instead there is a Steamroller APU (4 core) for the 1P server market. This is basically the same as Kaveri but with ECC support (key for servers). And we glean that Kaveri will have 8 CU (512 sp).

Note that the only reason the Bulldozer/Piledriver FX exists in the first place is because it's the same die used for Operton 16 core CPUs. Bulldozer was architected from the ground up to be a server chip.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Also hardware differences are a major factor

Sure they can be big... but software differences can be more than an order of magnitude bigger than the hardware

An old example as old as my granpa, used to interest enterprises and corporations
http://www.edn.com/design/systems-design/4314689/Autovectorization-for-GCC-compiler

EEMBC publishes two types of scores: out of the box and “full fury,” or optimized...
... The full-fury scores show an average improvement of more than 1500% over out-of-the-box scores for the same processor running at the same speed

Can you appreciate the differences ?? ...1500% is 15x more, i can't remember when a CPU or GPU presented not even 20% of that from one generation to the next, usually not even in 2 or 3 generations apart... understand ?

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

So what is your problem ? ... in gross mode we agree

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Okay then with the point that you are saying that this is software, why not just put it on the Intel processors? -_-

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

You said that NONE of the software out there shows true voltages. If that is true, then how come ALL of them show ~ Exact results? Even so, if your statement is true, then why dont I just use the motherboard and processor with the PSU? The Motherboard never takes more than 10 watts, so if the results is 80 watts, then we can say 70-80 watts were used.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Don't understand, put what on intel processors ?

Understand, by standardization effort, all software runs either on AMD or intel processors, even if its.. how we could say.. "emulated" at an instruction level by the use of microcode.

Even from the same vendor, supporting nativelly the same exact ISA (instruction set arch) and all its extensions, not all "instructions" are hard coded the same way. From different vendors the differences can even be bigger, to the point that some design of some vendor has hard coded instructions that on others can only be run by microcode (emulated)

This mostly certain is independent of macro-architecture, usually called everything not "cores", but sometimes also of micro-architecture, that is, the cores can be pretty identical yet have some hard coded instructions differently.

All this maze of complexity, micro and macro, has an enormous influence on software, better said its the software job to take advantage of the hardware, not the other way around, and algorithms, routines, functions, procedures,etc... can have exactly the same effect/result but using combinations of different instructions of an immense number of possible combinations( triggered by compiler flags, or different versions of the same compiler, different compilers and or directly assenbled in code)... that is why we optimize software... optimizations that can be plenty in number, on different levels of objectives, **proving exactly the same results**. And since the hardcoding can have plenty of differences, is quite possible that some *versions of that software* runs better at some particular "processor" while other version run better at other processor (same vendor or not), yet the result is exactly the same.
(and when i say "results" here, its not numbers on a chart, its the result of the software, the objective, not how fast it can get that result... is like calculating "PI" with superPI, there are plenty of ways to get the same pi results, ones faster or slower than others)

So if i published the lulebentmark uber duper benchpack, is possible that build 1024 runs better at CPU X of vendor A, yet build 1035 runs better CPU Z of vendor I, yet pretending to measure exactly the same thing and carrying exactly the same name.

So in last yes, ITS A WHOLE LOT more complicated than many analyses and opinions express, an yes *driver* software counts A LOT.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Or did it show you that 192-bit bus GPU is easier to put under full load than a 384-bit bus GPU? Also, Underclocked? Lol, one system has a Slightly more powerful GPU and a FX8320 and the other system has a slightly weaker and just as expensive GPU Paired with an i5. It shows you which system is the better value.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Okay with software being the meat on the sandwich, what are you trying to accomplish? Unless we test every single software with every single cpu and gpu, which would take a long time, the differences in that are so minute that they are un-measurable, so your point, to a valid reality, is useless.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Well, I think what will ultimately happen, is that enthusiasts will realize that intel GPU sucks...and that discrete GPUs run like garbage on the Intel systems...so that if they want to do anything work station grade or hardcore gaming, they'll have to go to AMD.

Kudos to Intel for giving market share to AMD with a boneheaded strategy...LOL.

It is pretty scary though...honestly...that's the biggest one finger salute to consumers I have ever seen from a company who wants the same consumers to buy their product the most.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Please read: "Another this is, how do we know that the 660 Ti isn't under clocked and that the 7950 isn't over clocked"

You stated stock facts, and I agree that the 660 ti is slightly worse.However, thus being said, the difference in frame rates is absolutely absurd. ~50% less performance and hardware that is ~the same. The only conclusion is that they messed with clock, which they did not mention in the video.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Voltage is not power, and yes software employs not a deterministic approach.. its a statistical approach... can be quite skewed sometimes.

And yes you can be sure the better your PSU is, the less power is usually wasted... and the wiring, the kind of copper ink alloy in those mobo traces also has influence, the VRMs etc etc etc... its also A LOT of things and complicated things to put exclusive blame on the CPU.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

You're hilarious? Do you understand the gamer world? Who, even with an APU, in the right mind would use the integrated graphics. If your point were absolutely true, then GPUs would not exist.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

"" So this should all be fun, knowing that ERROR MARGINS can even go quite above 10% sometimes, there are positive points for all tastes, its an approximation of potentialities, there is nothing absolute on those results

(understand relative (a clew) vs absolute ? )
""
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/352312-28-steamroller-speculation-expert-conjecture/page-96#11015854

Why angry posts ? ... one of the first things that i learned in first year of University, is that there aren't measures that don't include an error margin, yet is not because of that we don't measure, only we must be aware of significance.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

And the Intel Peasants rejoice. Good Jab. But AMD will still allow a discrete GPU.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

And with that, you mean that what you're saying is not solid evidence?

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Even so, would you get an APU expecting it to run crysis 3/far cry 3 on ultra settings with slight antialiasing? I think otherwise.

UPDATE: That doesn't go below 40 FPS*

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

In fact Intel is introducing Haswell ULV without PCIe support eliminating the possibility to add a dGPU.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

May I see the source you read that from?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The APUs on the next consoles will play games of the graphic quality of crysis 3 and beyond. I think we will that on the PC by 2015.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

On the console version of the game* you forgot to add. The architecture will be similar, but will be much more optimized than you would think. We will have to wait and see what it provides. 'Facts' from the future prove to be no evidence.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

You forgot to add something there, "very high precision to very low failure rate".

Since you claim that there are, give me these equations.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

And I can't even say that I'm disappointed. AMD needs to consolidate their lineup from here on out. High end, CPU-only chips are in their twilight years and the potential to make money in their market space is shrinking.

Between this and Intel trying to become competitive in iGPU, I am convinced that this will be the decade we see discrete graphics cards become products only for absolute bleeding edge enthusiast configurations.

As of right now, you are correct. Serious gamers cannot get by on integrated graphics. But it won't be long before the average IGP will be strong enough for mainstream and high end users. I foresee the graphics card going the way of the soundcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.