AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 217 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perhaps a small clock increase and boost in L2/L3 cache? The boulder GC36 CPUs seem to be the real next step up.

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I don't think you are getting the point of the fx9590. IIRC the chips are very limited, should have some more overclocking headroom (Think world records), and I think they talked about not making it available to general consumers, also it's a bit of a collectors edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=woySeSNBL3o#t=0s
The Athlon 64 line was equal, if not superior to P6+ in performance per clock and had a superior FPU. Not like the only Pentium M that even came close to the FX-55 was priced insanely high that only the super wealthy could afford :pt1cable: MU_Engineer, take it from here with your mega rant :bounce: :sol: :whistle:

+1, the 9370/9590 is like a Phenom II TWKR in a sense.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

I'm pulling this topic into light mainly for the reason that I am soon getting a 3930k and overclocking. I know games don't use more than 4 cores (unless you know a little code to get around that ^_^), however I will also be doing heavy video editing and rendering. So to get the video's to public faster, it's better to have a CPU like that. Also considering the 3930k is almost literally a 3960X, it's definitely worth it for almost $500 less. Also talking about the future, future proof is where it's at. Instead of buying what's good now to play games just right (670 I would say), and having to upgrade every 6 months to get what's just right then, I'm just getting the best now to help relieve that. Plus I'll ~ be saving money in the long run with that rather then spending more and more to get lower power hardware.

With the 3930k @ 4.5 Ghz, and a ASUS GTX 780 DirectCUII, I think I'll be good. Probably even get one more in a few months in Dual SLI.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Yeah, I'm also going to be overclocking the GPU (especially since it's DirectCUII). When I overclocked the 3930k in the calculator, it said ~200 watts @4.5 Ghz and 1.25 vcore. Then I know that at full load the 780 overclocked should use ~ 275. So 275+200=475. Then all the extra SATA and PCI cards fans ~150 Watts = 625.

That's ~ 75 more than the calculator told me. Throwing another 780 on there would make it 900 Watts, 50 more. It's not far off actually, but I expected it to be much more. Then I think I'm fine with a XFX 1050 Watt 80+ Gold PSU. ^_^

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Why don't we just use the "Advanced 3.2 Ghz Processor" that's in iBabe? (If you saw Movie43 :D). It needs a seriously fast MicroFan, but it'll work out. ^_^

That is a very nice system I must admit. I don't know if it is just looks, but the fabled Seasonic X-series seems a bit more attractive, considering they are very similar. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151110

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Yeah, that looks great. I'm still going to stick with my XFX one though (probably just because its $10 cheaper, lol). I wasn't too into looks as I was making this computer, I just wanted it to preform amazing. Then I realized that my case has blue LED fans, so I got 4 more 120mm Blue LED's for the side panel, and now i'm getting the ASUS PRO x79 board which has a blue and white tint, and my Corsair Vengeance is blue, even though I'm thinking about changing it to red to match the ASUS 780. Lol, I never thought it would be like this. Now with the Red, White, and Blue scheme, I may have to call it, " 'Merica Machine" or something. ^_^

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131801&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Intel+Motherboards-_-N82E16813131801&gclid=COWg9vmKrbgCFe4-MgodPm4AeA I think the Sabertooth X79 is a better value, considering I have very good luck with its predecessor, it has a 5-year warranty (F@H farms lol) , and is "certified TUF". Add some black RAM and you are set :3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131801&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Intel+Motherboards-_-N82E16813131801&gclid=COWg9vmKrbgCFe4-MgodPm4AeA I think the Sabertooth X79 is a better value, considering I have very good luck with its predecessor, it has a 5-year warranty (F@H farms lol) , and is "certified TUF". Add some black RAM and you are set :3
It reminds me of my main rig: http://i.imgur.com/ZUH9n6X.jpg?1?4326
http://i.imgur.com/awlOz1s.jpg?1

Now, back to the Steamroller speculation and rumors!

jdwii

Splendid

Price/Peformance please.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
A crazy idea

I read somewhat that one of main limitations of BD/PD modules was the single decode per module. If I understood this well, the decode switches between cores within a module which means cannot feed both cores in one clock. For a ten clock period, the situation would look like (A denotes first core working, B denotes second core working and _ denotes a core is not being feed)

A_
_B
A_
_B
A_
_B
A_
_B
A_
_B

Now Steamroller has twice decoders, which means each core can be feed in one clock

AB
AB
AB
AB
AB
AB
AB
AB
AB
AB

Each core in Steamroller module is being twice more efficient than in bulldozer/piledriver module, earning twice more instructions. To get the same number of A and B (10 each) one would use two bulldozer/piledriver modules

A_ A_
_B _B
A_ A_
_B _B
A_ A_
_B _B
A_ A_
_B _B
A_ A_
_B _B

I know this is an oversimplification but could this partially explain why 4C/8C Piledriver are being replaced by 2C/4C Steamroller?

jdwii

Splendid

Actually even then Amd FX CPU's were faster and cheaper than the intel part intel was charging more for less. Sempron was better then Celeron as well and cheaper, Same thing with Athlon vs P4 and FX vs P4 extreme, oh and that was with using a bigger die space(so it did actually cost more to make)

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Much oversimplification. Decoder doesn't get continuous stream of instructions, even when module is under full load.
0-30% better performance seems more realistic.

Bulldozer is nothing like Netburst. The 8150's clocks were lower than the previous flagship 980BE, which had the performance per clock around the same as a Q9650. The 4770K's turbo is only 100MHz lower than the 8350's stock, just so that gets cleared up. The Athlon 64M was equal to, if not better than the Pentium M line, and had support for 64-Operating Systems. Once again, K8 had the performance per clock equal to the Pentium M and featured a superior FPU. Must we bring out Mr.Octane to explain this to you again? If you want something that was actually the real start for the Core Architecture (You know, Intel's last large leap) http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/intel_s8_pentium_pro.jpg

Pentium M vs Athlon64/Turion 64- http://techreport.com/review/9377/intel-pentium-m-760-versus-amd-turion-64-ml-44
Pentium M vs 3200 (from your favorite buds at andandtech)- http://www.anandtech.com/show/1610/20

Note: You seem to imply nobody overclocked these Athlon 64(s)

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

I was looking at that as well. I actually made a thread debating which one I should get, the PRO or the SABERTOOTH. I decided on the PRO simply because of the PCIE x1 slot location. I'm also getting an Avermedia Live Gamer PRO, which uses PCIE x1, but I didn't want that card to close to the GPU so there wouldn't be as much heat build up. The idea is to get the Recorder Card on the bottom of the PRO board, and the 780 on top, so there's better airflow between the two. Then if I get another 780, U'll just throw it in the 3rd down PCIE x16 slot so 1 slot from the other 780 and the recorder card.

The only advantages to the Saber tooth board is the Fans that are on it, and a couple of small features. Plus the PRO board does fit with my color code better. Otherwise the Saber tooth looks sick. If I do get that however, and run the cards next to each other, will they be alright?

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

I was looking at that as well. I actually made a thread debating which one I should get, the PRO or the SABERTOOTH. I decided on the PRO simply because of the PCIE x1 slot location. I'm also getting an Avermedia Live Gamer PRO, which uses PCIE x1, but I didn't want that card to close to the GPU so there wouldn't be as much heat build up. The idea is to get the Recorder Card on the bottom of the PRO board, and the 780 on top, so there's better airflow between the two. Then if I get another 780, I'll just throw it in the 3rd down PCIE x16 slot so 1 slot from the other 780 and the recorder card.

The only advantages to the Saber tooth board is the Fans that are on it, and a couple of small features. Plus the PRO board does fit with my color code better. Otherwise the Saber tooth looks sick. If I do get that however, and run the cards next to each other, will they be alright?

They will be fine, there was once a debate on this with Dual GTX 480\580s in Bad Company 2 on a Sabertooth X58 and it seemed to have no issues with heat\size with no noticeable increase, and with the moving of the PCI lane with the Sabertooth X79, you should be fine. Anyways, the cards are designed to function in SLI like that and nice choice using ASUS Direct CUII cards (love\loved their DCUII 570).

Did you even care to view my post and still continue this nonsense?

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I got kind of bored so I looked around. Many of you may have seen this, but some may haven't. It's a CPU test with every processor from AMD and Intel made (that could be tested), that are tested using PassMark. They also show Price to Performance points on the second option at the top:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html

NOTE: They Are Not Overclocked, it's just a mistake. I don't know why it says overclocked, they are all stated at their stock clocks.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

One of first google results for anything about CPU. Boring.
Even discoveries of fanboys of Intel (Intel is twice performance of AMD per clock) or AMD (Steamroller will have SB performance per clock) are more interesting.

Maybe on monday...

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

Boasting is an industry standard, everyone does it. Lets not forget Haswell was supposed to be a 15% improvement over Ivy Bridge. Haswell didn't even come close.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

You may actually use the full power of your Intel rig, as I said some buyers probably will, and you probably know you are a "heavy user" and fall in that 10% margin. If I remember correctly you are getting ready to go off to college, so you may actually use 100% of your Intel's rig (depending on major). That doesn't mean that there are many people, even on this tread who would need the same performance that you do.

As far as "future prof" goes I bought my processor 4 years ago. The only reason I have upgraded my other components is in preparation for Steamroller. I would say 4 long years of doing everything I ever asked it to do was "future proffed". I don't think your going to get much more than 4 or 5 years out of a processor before you can no longer play everything at the maximum settings. So yes you can get future proof with Intel, but you can also get future prof with AMD as well. I still think the future of all computing is multi-core, multi-threaded applications. If this is the case, PD and for sure Steamroller will be future proof.

8350rocks

Distinguished

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+M+1500MHz

If the pentium M was so great...why is it firmly behind an Athlon XP 2100+ in Passmark?

How about because it wasn't great...

From this point forward in this thread...you're required to post at least 4 benchmarks showing your point of view from 4 different sites. Those sites cannot include:

AnandTech.com
CPUboss.com
notebookcheck.com

If you can do that from this point forward, you may continue posting. If not, then you need to sell your BS to someone else who wants to listen...because nobody here is buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.