AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 464 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
^ isn't hsa depends on using same memory pool for cpu and gpu and to accelerate task with gpu :??: if not then will i be able to use my hd6770 to get scores like i saw few post ago (a10 vs i5)

inbetween, microsoft trolled console gamers :lol: can't play games on 1080p on x1, shame
http://wccftech.com/thief-nextgen-resolutions-reportedly-leaked-xbox-suffer-1080p-problem/

and here is a quote from that article
The ESRAM and GPU that powers Xbox One are not capable enough to provide similar video game resolutions like PlayStation 4.

46213097.jpg

and i thought that it is due to far less bandwidth of ddr3 (bottleneck) :p

HSA brings additional benefits to what API's like OpenCL offers, but doesn't add significant performance benefits over what OpenCL already offers.

Yes, you can do OpenCL + HSA, but we're right back to benefit/work+cost equation.

Hence, even though HSA leverages OpenCL, it "competes" with it as a result of the fact Devs have to decide rather to use it or not; HSA does not replace OpenCL by itself, due to not being vendor independent (Intel/NVIDIA).

Magiks

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
^ I think HSA its more liek AMD and Nvidia GPU both can use openGL just that on AMD hardware there's extra hardware tuning and openGL will be coeded to take advantage and have better performance... so its not really vendor independent.

switch openGL to openCL for HSA

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

I'm near sure the on original source of those benchmarks it states all other cpus than kaveri are using a 780ti, gpu acceleration doesnt work as well over pcie, on kaveri they are on the same die and share the ram.
Edit: wrong benches but this is true of the ones me and juan posted a few pages ago.

Yes, when using OpenCL and a dGPU, you lose some performance due to having to copy everything over PCI-E. That is not an issue using OpenCL with an APU. Or an Intel iGPU.

HSA makes sense for embedded systems. It does not make sense for HEDT.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Until PCI-E bandwidth achieves sufficient data transfer rates...like freedom fabric and other technologies would provide if offered in the public sector instead of only for commercial solutions. IBM has some interesting tech in this regard.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

why if you can achieve the same thing on a die,and achieve better efficiency doing it. for higher end yes the pci slot or a gpu socket may be implemented. but it's also going to effect the price of board.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Has PCI-E 3.0 effected the price of motherboards dramatically? No...did PCI-E 2.0? No...neither did the advent of HTX. Now, there are some interesting concepts for an internal system bus that could potentially scale well beyond what we have.

You might be able to achieve the same thing on a single die...but you cannot achieve efficiency and all out performance at the same time...(see: Kaveri, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, etc.).

Therefore, a combination of 2 dedicated discrete options would offer better performance all out, at the expense of efficiency. Most power users care absolutely zero what happens to the electric bill one way or the other, but they care how much they can get out of a pair of R9-290X GPUs paired with a 6 or 8 core CPU of their choice.

Kaveri = 856 GFLOPS

FX8350 + R9-290X CF = ~10 TFLOPS

Now, if you absolutely needed the raw horsepower, what makes more sense?

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

did i not say that for high end yes.........?
yes it did affect board prices not by much but the effect was there, i have stated that dedicated parts will not and cannot go away as some systems need dedicated parts.but they will also most likely be in low production and extremely high priced.
the effect of price on implementation is up to those that have to make the parts capable of communication.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Wrong.

HSA-LibreOffice.png

HSA is vendor independent and developed by the HSA foundation. Intel and Nvidia are developing their own proprietary alternatives to HSA. Intel response to HSA is its proprietary "neo-heterogeneous" approach. Nvidia has CUDA and openpower consortium.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

A 300hp car is not 3x faster than a 100hp motorbike. A 4TFLOP PC is not 2x faster than a 2TFLOP console.

I already mentioned that AMD, Nvidia, and Intel will abandon discrete cards. I already explained why. Intel is the first that will abandon its own discrete cards

Xeon-Phi-Knights-Landing-GPU-CPU-Form-Factor-635x358.png

No hypothetical super-fast PCIe 6.0 will change this. The laws of physics are very clear at this point; the overhead is of ~10x. This implies you would need a hypothetical ~3000W dGPU to compete with a 300W APU in raw performance. This is why Nvidia, Intel, and AMD are developing APUs for exascale. AMD plans for using a 10TFLOP APU are here

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/02/amd_exascale_supercomputing_apu/

your 10TFLOP (FX8350 + R9-290X CF) cannot be used for exascale supercomputers. Only the APU can be used. I already explained why and I did lots of times...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The 750 is a 14% slower than the 265, because (100-116)/116 = -0.1379 ---> -13.79%

Nvidia new design has increased efficiency by about 2x compared to former Kepler cards.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-18-at-8.48.38-AM_575px-635x404.png

This implies new cards can offer the double of performance at same power consumption

This is a first step towards their exascale plans for supercomputers. Efficiency has to be improved a lot of to achieve exascale performance. AMD has similar plans as well, therefore we will see an efficient new GCN architecture soon.

AMD’s Radeon Dual Graphics: Looking at the Desktop
Dual Graphics is still the redheaded step child of the Radeon family...
http://semiaccurate.com/2014/02/20/amds-radeon-dual-graphics-desktop/

AMD going after new market segments
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/33998-amd-going-after-new-market-segments

Over Half of Game Developers Working on New Titles for PCs, Mobile Devices.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20140218220715_Over_Half_of_Game_Developers_Working_on_New_Titles_for_PCs_Mobile_Devices.html

These are the mining machines monopolizing high-end Radeons
http://techreport.com/news/26063/these-are-the-mining-machines-monopolizing-high-end-radeons

How about the full source page, hmmm?

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/174632-amd-kaveri-a10-7850k-and-a8-7600-review-was-it-worth-the-wait-for-the-first-true-heterogeneous-chip/5

HSA-Corel.png

Now before you say "look at the percentage gains", AMD is going to see bigger gains via HSA/OpenCL due to a stronger GPU. I'd like to see Intel and AMD OpenCL numbers with, say, a GTX 780 and R9 290x thrown in, so you don't have cases where the dedicated GPU is making AMD look better by comparison.

I'm still amazed you still attempt to cherry pick after how badly that JUST bit you.

You missed the point, gamerk.

HSA contains OCL, there's no denying in that. What you're ignoring is that HSA is actually MORE than just OCL programming. That's what the LibreOffice graph is telling you. You have CPU, then OCL (only) and then HSA improved software. If a program only contains the OCL part, it might nor MIGHT NOT be HSA compatible (or approved, etc) by what the standard defines as compliant.

This is a work in progress from AMD, so we all have to sit and wait until more software comes with the "HSA approved" sticker on it to draw more conclusions.

Cheers!

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Uh, it does though. Having to shuffle everything over the PCIe bus shouldn't make it slower than doing everything on the CPU.

Yeah, an APU with something like FX 8350 CPU with 280x GPU would be a lot faster than FX 8350 dCPU and 280x dGPU, but it's still going to be faster than FX 8350 without anything on the CPU.

You're also assuming that the only bus to connect GPU and CPU that will ever exist for HEDT market is PCIe 3.0.

PCIe 4.0 is going to offer almost 32GB/s bandwidth in a 16x slot. DDR3 2133 is around 17GB/s.

jdwii

Splendid

Wow PC gaming is coming back at full speed.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

For Intel they're talking about using QPI or dragonfly. But yeah at some point chips still have to talk to each other for any kind of exascale computing. Die can only get so big before the yields tank. Cray dragonfly interconnect is 500GB/s which Intel licensed.

The biggest leap really in the next few years is the 3D memories. HMC is 160-320GB/s for local memory bandwidth.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
"If true, this suggests that AMD is waiting to move to 20nm until that node is more mature, at least for big-core CPUs."

maybe why they aren't doing a steamroller dcpu

Asus R9 290 DCII $457 bucks:

http://www.shopblt.com/item/asus-r9290-dc2oc-4gd5-radeon-r9-290-pcie/asus_r9290dc2oc4gd5.html

Again, Every major etailer and reteailer are price gouging people to make that extra buck due to the miners.

This site seems to keep items pretty near MSRP, although the R9 290X DCII is $600 but still much better than Neweggs "discounted" price of $799.

As I said it is a shame because I remember when Newegg was "new" and they had the best prices around.

As I said, it is a bad way to compare. It gives a basic idea but since there are too many different random factors, you cannot use it as solid information.

Look at a GPU review for example. What is the only thing that is different between say a R9 290X and a GTX 780Ti? The GPU itself and the drivers. Other than that the other hardware, OS and testing software stays completely the same that way neither GPU has any advantage except itself and its drivers.

Since each CPU tested was done on different platforms (which is hard to control), different OSes (one of which was optimized especially for that CPU) and different testing software (the browser is what you use to get those results) it is in no way a fair test of a CPUs actual potential vs another.

I never said Anand didn't know this nor that they didn't know hardware but that is a flawed test and analysis of the hardware potential.

Mantle, for example, is a great comparison. It makes AMDs GPUs look great but only when using certain CPUs in certain software that supports it. Now I could cherry pick those benchmarks and results and say that AMD GPUs are better but the truth is that is a unfair comparison of overall GPU performance. And I say this knowing full well I will not buy a GTX 780 and instead a R9 290X in the future.

And I never said Intel did not have a delay, that is common knowledge. I said that unless we are inside with direct knowledge we can only go on what people are saying they claim to have as solid information.

I don't see Intel worrying much though as what does AMD have CPU wise that is vastly better than or equal to their real server class money makers?

BTW, I expect Intel to continue to have issues even beyond 14nm and so will everyone else. The difference is that I have no doubt that Intel is already looking at what they need to do and are probably ahead of the others in producing a good yield worth at 14nm and beyond.

The cost to motherboards only goes up when they become more complex, i.e. LGA2011 and quad channel memory that required more layers.

Mainly due to the consoles using x86 hardware. I am a bit surprised the PS4 is leading since the XB1 does utilize both DX11 and has a Windows 8 kernel, just its own GUI, meaning it would be easy to develop for the PC then port to the XB1.9

QPI is already faster than even PCIe 4.0, 51.2GB/s maximum bandwidth. Of course faster is better but for us, we wont really ever use that much bandwidth as it stands. Maybe in the next 5 years or so.

jdwii

Splendid
"Mainly due to the consoles using x86 hardware. I am a bit surprised the PS4 is leading since the XB1 does utilize both DX11 and has a Windows 8 kernel, just its own GUI, meaning it would be easy to develop for the PC then port to the XB1.9"

Not me since there really is no reason for the Xbox 1 to even exist. Underpowered and overpriced and labeled as an entertainment system even though the PS4 is more than capable of being 1 also (exclude the DVR). Being a PC gamer and maybe even a Nintendo gamer (although i really grew out of them) i really don't care much about consoles but i see why the PS4 is leading. The more gamers keep finding out that the Xbox one can only do 720P when the PS4 keeps pumping 1080P for less the more Microsoft is going to lose. Titanfall(which i find to be COD with robots and worse graphics even) should sell a decent amount of Xbox ones and Halo, Gears basically FPS multiplayer games(yawn). But it’s clear that Sony is going to win this time around since none of those titles besides titanfall is coming out this year and Sony actually has more exclusives coming out this year and it’s cheaper for multiplatform games. Even looking back in history we can see that Sony typically has more exclusives a couple of games I even could not play such as Last of us. Nintendo really is the only company ahead of Sony with possibly more exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.